Understanding Contracts (Out of contract)

I'm struggling to understand one aspect of the whole signing of contracts business, just a hypothetical situation to get accross my point.

Jeff Jeffers is bought for £80 Million and given a 1 year contract of £30000pw. At the end of the year he decides he doesnt want to play for that team and refuses to sign.. does this mean any team can pick him up OOC??

I'm just confused because the original 80 Mil is not protected at all and it is basically only buying him for one year... have I got this wrong?

I wouldn't mind 4 years so long as I'm at a good club that can probably keep him. Then agani I can't see any other type of club that can afford that kind of money.

4 years maybe even 3 is fine so long as you renew his contract every now and then. Make sure you haven't maxed it or too close to the max you can offer because sometimes they ask for way too much.

@ OP: You got it completely right. That's why no team signs anyone on a short contract after having paid a high (or any) transfer fee irl too. If the contract runs out the player can leave for free, no matter what you paid to his former club.

If the player is under 24 (i think) in Europe and is out of contract the club that picks him has to pay compensation to the club losing him, based on time at the original club and arbitration panel's decision on how much the player's career developed at the club. IRL this can even happen when a player is 3-4 clubs down the line.

The rule you mention Brian doesn't apply to many countries though. It does in England but not in countries such as Italy and Spain. In Italy you could sign a 21 year old as he approaches the end of his contract and you don't have to pay any compensation.

Also outside England you can approach domestic based players six months before their contracts expire, unlike in England were you must wait four weeks before their contract expires IIRC.

You're paying the selling club to release his Player Registration to you, that's it. Whatever you offer the player in terms of a contract after they've released his registration is up to you, be it a 5 year deal, or 1 year deal. After his intial contract, he's free to do whatever he wants.

Archived