Anyone else played as Gremio?

Just started a career with Gremio, and I have already lost in the final of the Gaucho State to Internacional and am in the Brazilian Cup semis vs Sao Paulo. I was just wondering what long term plans (if any) managers have when they play with Gremio and what tends to happen as you progress through the game as I am planning on spending a number of seasons at the club.

However, the board, in my opinion, seem crazy. They expected me to win the Gaucho State and were disappointed that I lost to a better side on penalties when i was racked with injuries and they expect me to win the Brazilian Cup, as well as challenging for the league. With the limited funds I have (220k starting transfer budget) and the club's lack of prestige, my only signings have been free's and cheap youngsters (Cafu, Davids, Ze Maria etc). Anyone got any advice on how to get the best out of the club?

Cheers

Gremio is my favorit team, in my last save with them i got to the final in th FIFA Club World Cup, got beaten by Real Madrid with 1 goal on overtime.

You could have more then enough quality to win the gaucho state, however Internacionale can be a pain in the ***.

Leo is the best DC, give him a new contract, make him captain.

Gerson will be top notch.. Douglas Costa is class AMC

You dont need to buy any players first season, loan a few for backup if you need (remember you can loan as much as you want in Brazil)

When you play against Internacional, HARD tackle Nilmar!

Just started a career with Gremio, and I have already lost in the final of the Gaucho State to Internacional and am in the Brazilian Cup semis vs Sao Paulo. I was just wondering what long term plans (if any) managers have when they play with Gremio and what tends to happen as you progress through the game as I am planning on spending a number of seasons at the club.

However, the board, in my opinion, seem crazy. They expected me to win the Gaucho State and were disappointed that I lost to a better side on penalties when i was racked with injuries and they expect me to win the Brazilian Cup, as well as challenging for the league. With the limited funds I have (220k starting transfer budget) and the club's lack of prestige, my only signings have been free's and cheap youngsters (Cafu, Davids, Ze Maria etc). Anyone got any advice on how to get the best out of the club?

Cheers

Welcome to the world of mental Brazilian chairmen, they hire and fire willy nilly and have outrageous expectations/delusions of grandeur.

Btw Gremio finished second in 2008 irl, so the expectations are pretty accurate and you should probably have a squad good enough to mount a challenge. Injuries is just bad luck, don't expect your board to take that into account.

Those are realistic expectation for a Gremio's manager, actually you're lucky that it's not as easy to get sacked in the game as it is irl. And you can always sign players from other south american countries if you wish to improve your squad, or look for good backup/first team players for free or try to get them on loan or something.

Gremio is my favorit team, in my last save with them i got to the final in th FIFA Club World Cup, got beaten by Real Madrid with 1 goal on overtime.

You could have more then enough quality to win the gaucho state, however Internacionale can be a pain in the ***.

Leo is the best DC, give him a new contract, make him captain.

Gerson will be top notch.. Douglas Costa is class AMC

You dont need to buy any players first season, loan a few for backup if you need (remember you can loan as much as you want in Brazil)

When you play against Internacional, HARD tackle Nilmar!

Tackling him hard is the only chance the Gremista's have :D

Tackling him hard is the only chance the Gremista's have :D

;) .. Luckely Real Madrid bought him in my current save for 10 mill, wont have to get trashed while i build up Juventude again.

Without even seeing this thread i started a save as Gremio earlier today. Douglas Costa was my reasoning behind using them, although they do also have some fantastic older players. As mentioned before the Youth Setup is top draw too which doesn't hurt.

As others have already mentioned Leo is a great defender. On the update that I am using (weegie) he has a release clause of about 7-8 million iirc and most of the big European clubs are after him. If I were you I would get him signed up to a new contract with a rediculous release clause asap.

Sao Paulo were champions in my game. Tbh it's quite easy to do anything with most of the First Division teams, if you get your tactics right, your players are skilful enough to destroy any other team. I took Vasco back up to Serie A and having lost £16m worth of player, signed 4 free transfers and one £275k right winger, despite a decimated team and frugal signings, I managed to thump Flamengo in the Rio State :D

Archived