Possession Football

"Mis splet a word" :p

Erik86 has pretty much covered it, you'll get more depth in the tactics forum as well. Also, setting more players than normal to hold up the ball, will retain possession, but in my experience, it isn't a particularly good way to play.

It isnt a very good way to play! You can't create Arsenals style if thats what you are after...

Not true I did (4-2-3-1) but unfortunately it resulted in the same don't shoot at goal unless its a tap in. Did it with Chesterfield too, problem is most matches ended up with me losing or drawing. I could barely win a match.

Having said that I don't know if it was because of my formation or Danny Murphy going crazy with all the one twos.

Not true I did (4-2-3-1) but unfortunately it resulted in the same don't shoot at goal unless its a tap in. Did it with Chesterfield too, problem is most matches ended up with me losing or drawing. I could barely win a match.

Having said that I don't know if it was because of my formation or Danny Murphy going crazy with all the one twos.

Arsenal do shoot (sometimes) unless it is a tap in.. and they can win games so......... You cant create Arsenals style of playing....

Arsenal do shoot (sometimes) unless it is a tap in.. and they can win games so......... You cant create Arsenals style of playing....

Hahahaha you know what erik I was getting bored of my save and it looks like you gave me an idea for a new challenge.

ive seen the distruction by that style up close... Reading 0-4 Arsenal. Henry scored 2 but I dont think he even had a drop of sweat on him... Beautiful but painful at the same time being a Reading fan..

on 09 possesion football is bad news, 90% of teams on my game that play possesion football loses, you need to find a good counter attacking tactic or a good attacking tactic which doesnt try and keep the ball. trust me alot of people will say trying ot play keep ball ends in a defeat despite, 60% possesion ect. ;)

Seems like Bardock has found something though... Just keen to find out what TI's and PI's he used.

It's nothing great in fact it's extreme but my team is playing excellent football. Winning home and away with no need for any changes. It nullifies Torres' threat though because he keeps on having to move the ball really quick never takes a turn and shoot but I'm having him learn "beat the offside trap". Hoping he'd get on the end of through balls.

You'd need 5 players on free role no one to run with the ball (mixed max). CM®, AMC(L), AMC®, AMC© and ST.

A lot of different mentalities that range from last tick of defensive to first tick of attacking.

Lowest creativity set at 15 for attacking players. Some have more if their attributes allow. You'd want a team with good first touch though and a few other attributes.

Passing - 1 (everyone full back don't get caught out because CMs always available)

Tempo - 20 (I **** you not)

Width - 17 or 18 (I can't remember now that I've clicked to check if it's 17 or 18)

Closing Down - 3 clicks < from centre

Time Wasting - 1

D-Line - First click of push up.

The thing that makes everything click is the no FWR by Xabi (CML) and Moutinho (the central AMC). The others are on mixed except for my two full backs who act as wingers.

I played slow possession football in a 4-1-4-1 and dominated the Indian league for years. Won the Asian Champions league a few times and moved to Newcastle where I continued my basic style. The only time I changed was if it was pouring down then I'd play faster direct.

I want my team to play possession football and keep the ball away from the opposition most of the time. i was wondering what your team tactics would have to be to do this.

anyone play like this ?

I find a possession games works very well for me.

My basic formation is a custom 4-4-2 I created myself with much time, trial and error. Passing is mainly highest short, with minimum mixed for wingers and MCA.

I tend to play attacking and quick at the start, get the early goal, and then we relax; as it seems much easier to break down the defences early, rather than have to go all out later if you've failed to score. So the policy is to attack hard from the first whistle, and then ease off after scoring.

I will then switch mentality to mid normal, (bearing in mind that my individual player instructions slightly 'stagger' our mentality between defence midfield and attack). Width drops to lowest 'wide', tempo drops to low normal, time-wasting increases from mid mixed to one below often; forward runs are at mixed for full-backs, wingers, MCA and FCA, with the others on 'rarely'. Run with ball is on mixed for full-backs, wingers, MCA and FCA, with the others on rarely.

Long shots all on rarely except MCA (has good long shots stat) who is set to mixed.

FCD holds ball up, as does MCD. FCA and MCA are on free roles with maximum creativity, using MCA as playmaker.

Closing down is usually on one click above midway, but this is subject to change according to how opposition are responding.

This provides me with a nice, patient, yet fluent and progressive brand of possession football, which still looks to go forward and score more.

When we score our second, mentality drops to low normal, width stays lowest wide, tempo drops to lowest normal, sometimes to slow depending upon the circumstances. Time-wasting increases to lowest often, and the rest stays the same. This provides me with a good, patient possession style, but still slowly building up careful attacks.

If we score a third, mentality for defenders (remembering it's 'staggered' in my system) drops to defensive, along with the MCD and FCD, others retain their low normal settings. Width to between midway and highest normal (depending upon circumstances), Tempo drops to slow, time-wasting increases to second highest often; forward runs to rarely except FCA who stays on mixed. Run with ball to rarely except for MCA and FCA, (and sometimes wingers depending on situation) who stay on mixed.

Each further goal we score, most of the above settings are reduced further still.

Sometimes of course, I still need to make adjustments depending upon how opposition are responding, but usually, this all provides me with a very attractive and patient possession style of football, attaining between 60-70 % possession, passing around 75-85 % completed, and more often than not, a comfortable victory to go with it.

Hope this is of some help to you. :)

Archived