How do you produce better youth players?

Im puzzled on how to produce a better intake of youth players from your academy. Im currently playing as Peterborough United and have improved my youth facilities but the players that come through each season do not become good enough to play in the same league or the league below me. Iv played 3 seasons and in the championship with an ipswich like side when it comes to finishing in the league. the best youth players that get produced are only believed to be a "decent blue square premier league player".

I would like to know how to get better players coming from my academy for my team.

Help would be muchly appreciated

Thanks.

How good are your coaches at judgeing player potential? The coach may be wrong. Your facilities might not be good enough yet. Tbh quality youth players are hard to come by, I could probably count on one hand how many I had in my 08 save and I played 14 seasons.

I really hope I beat chopper99 with this post.

The only things you can do to improve the quality of the players actually coming through are to improve the youth facilities and get some feeder clubs. I've added the second as you tend to get the odd youth player from feeder club nations coming through your academy if I remember rightly.

If you de get decent players coming through you need to give them the right amount of first team football as soon as you can to help them develop - not too much at first, but not too little either.

Your reputation needs to be high and you need some luck. Low level clubs in my experience never produce any players that are even remotely decent so you have to bring youngsters from top level clubs. Once you get to the premier leagues then you should be able to produce a player every few years that could play a role in your team. Its tempting to use your own youngsters when you are a small club but unfortunately it doesnt work like that in FM.

You'll need to keep improving your youth facilities and also your reputation.

Although, have you considered that it could be an error of judgement from your ass man? What is his JPA/JPP?

His JPA is 18 and his JPP is 19. He was a coach at i think kettering town.

Ah, how does my rep improve? by winning games and trophys?

His JPA is 18 and his JPP is 19. He was a coach at i think kettering town.

Then his judgement is pretty sound and those players are only Blue Square quality.

Ah, how does my rep improve? by winning games and trophys?

Yup, progressing through leagues etc.

Luck seems to be the main factor.

I'm managing Parndorf in the Austrian First Division (second flight), a part-time club with Basic youth facilities. In three seasons I've had two players come through who've gone more or less straight in the first team and are definitely destined for higher things (one was attracting top flight bids less than a fortnight after he'd appeared in my youth squad) and three others who have a very good chance of making it.

There seems to be no reason for this, obviously it's a fluke. What would be nice is if taking the trouble to employ skilled youth coaches had an effect as well as facilities and reputation. For instance, Crewe Alexandra were renowned for bringing through quality young players throughout Dario Gradi's tenure, outshining all but a few top flight clubs in this department, presumably because Gradi paid plenty of attention to this aspect. But, as far as I can work out, youth coaches make no difference at all.

I'm currently managing TPS in the Finnish Premier Division and I haven't really pulled any gems through my youth system yet. I've had a Swedish player who's been capped at U-21 level and a few Finnish U-19 players but nothing to write home about. In complete contrast however, Honka (who are in the same league as me) constantly produce absolute gems. I'm 4 seasons in and about 80% of their team are made up of youth team graduates. Checked their facilities and turns out they have a top youth academy to my average one. I've asked my board to improve my academy but they always refuse.

In my experience, it's 90% facilities, 10% rep.

Frimpong; if you're a somewhat major club, you should have a feeder team where you can send players out on loan.

Generally, if you're in the Championship or about that level, you can get a BSP side to become a feeder side.

Frimpong; if you're a somewhat major club, you should have a feeder team where you can send players out on loan.

Generally, if you're in the Championship or about that level, you can get a BSP side to become a feeder side.

Preferably better than BSP, though - League Two perhaps. Remember that when on loan, players use that loaning club's facilities. BSP teams tend to have awful facilities so they might actually get worse (happened to me once!). League reputation may also play a part in development.

In general, try and get a club that is so strong you can never find suitable players to send to them, nor too weak a club that all they will end up doing is losing, and no player develops much playing badly.

Archived