Time wasting

So if you aks your players to waste time, do they do anything except take ages over set pieces? I can't think of having noticed anything else. Obviously in a real match you get players going down under any sort of contact then rolling round and feigning injury; keepers taking so long over goal kicks they get booked, etc etc...

Is any of that implemented in the game?

True that, I don't watch the full match. Anyone who does that could comment?

And yes, although they 'head' for the corner, rather than have someone else come over and help them keep it there, they usually end up crossing or having a shot, defeating the purpose. Again, unless it's something I'm missing without watching the full game....

I think they take a bit more time when making passes. Rather than playing a quick ball in to space they will keep hold of the ball and wait for everything to calm down before playing a pass.

This, i've also watched 3 players pass it between each for 15 consecutive passes, it was the opposition and my poor players looked like they were chasing after their tales.

I keep it high (14-15) fr the whole game. Players take theiur time to seek out a good pass and therefore keep possession better. They don't head off to the corner flag or dither over free kicks until the last few minutes, so it's a good ploy. I add in HUB for many players to ensure even better accuracy for passing.

I keep it high (14-15) fr the whole game. Players take theiur time to seek out a good pass and therefore keep possession better. They don't head off to the corner flag or dither over free kicks until the last few minutes, so it's a good ploy. I add in HUB for many players to ensure even better accuracy for passing.

Agreed.

To the OP: Time-wasting allows your players to take greater time over their actions upon the field of play. Think of it more in terms of 'urgency', than time-wasting. The more 'rarely' you waste time, the more 'urgency' your players have in getting the ball forward, hence this often comes with reduced accuracy. Play with high amounts of timewasting if you wish your players to keep hold of the ball and build up attacks gradually.

I only find my players run for the flags if I have timewasting set to full, approaching the end of the game with a slender lead.

Hope this helps you. :)

Just last night I was hanging on to a one goal lead and so cranked up the time wasting setting in the last few minutes. When the ball went out behind my goal for a goal kick the commentary line said something along the lines of "Jones (my GK) is in no rush to take this kick", so that would suggest set pieces can be really slowed down.

Agreed.

To the OP: Time-wasting allows your players to take greater time over their actions upon the field of play. Think of it more in terms of 'urgency', than time-wasting. The more 'rarely' you waste time, the more 'urgency' your players have in getting the ball forward, hence this often comes with reduced accuracy. Play with high amounts of timewasting if you wish your players to keep hold of the ball and build up attacks gradually.

I only find my players run for the flags if I have timewasting set to full, approaching the end of the game with a slender lead.

Hope this helps you. :)

Excellent (although I think 'tempo' should cover that)... my point is really, can you persuade your players to play like a bunch of cheaters to get a result? Not going to mean much to many, but for example when Shaktar Donetsk visited Celtic Park in the CL recently, they were awful....going down under every challenge, rolling round, breaking up the game...I just don't see how those antics are implemented in the game?

You would need to watch the match in full, I dare say you're watching highlights and time wasting (other than set plays) isn't a highlight.

It's only a highlight when you are a single goal up in a really important match. In these instances you basically get to watch the last 15 minutes in real time to, you know, 'heighten the tension' and so on and so forth :mad:

It does slow down set pieces but it can backfire if you do it too early!

Not really. I personally think FM feels far too quick anyway, so time-wasting is a good way of telling them to not play like Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Time wasting and Tempo are certainly linked. It's something to be aware of when setting them and don't give your players conflicting instructions, a succesful tactic should have them both pretty much at the same level.

Not really. I personally think FM feels far too quick anyway, so time-wasting is a good way of telling them to not play like Shaun Wright-Phillips.

What speed are you playing it at? Probably sounds a stupid question, but you'd be surprised the difference there is between medium speed and two clicks from top speed, and how this can affect the feel of the match.

Time wasting and Tempo are certainly linked. It's something to be aware of when setting them and don't give your players conflicting instructions, a succesful tactic should have them both pretty much at the same level.

So you'd have time-wasting and tempo at 15 and it would be balanced? That would be conflicting.

High tempo - Low timewasting

Low tempo - High timewasting

What speed are you playing it at? Probably sounds a stupid question, but you'd be surprised the difference there is between medium speed and two clicks from top speed, and how this can affect the feel of the match.

Very true, too fast and it just flys by

So you'd have time-wasting and tempo at 15 and it would be balanced? That would be conflicting.

I assume he means inversely linked - so high tempo (e.g. 5 clicks up from middle) and low timewasting (e.g. 5 clicks down from middle)

According to the timewasting thread in the tactics forum, they can be set to the same level. It sort of has the effect of being deliberate and accurate, and then fast and furious when the attack is on. Sounds good in theory, anyway.

It can work, but rarely does work. There's nothing wrong with setting a high tempo with high time wasting, it just means the possession passing will be quicker and if the players are good enough they should, theoretically, be capable of dealing with it. However, it's risky business as high tempo increases the porspect of losing the ball in a possession game and you'd be better off with low tempo.

Yes, that's what I meant. ie logically at the same level!

The relationship between time-wasting and tempo is rather complicated, but in essence, with both on high what happens is this: your back-line will patiently stroke the ball around waiting for an opening. When an opportunity is spotted high-tempo kicks in as the passes move quickly and furiously to the front. At least that's what happens if your players are intelligent enough.

Archived