Young Players Retiring

I am in 2012 and a few players on my shortlist have just retired mainly old players like Quim and Kafes, seasoned internationals who i looked to get on free transfer when at my old club Tiverton, but i noticed that Kerlon, 24, who has just signed for Inter irl, and Andy Carroll, 23, who scored a few goals for Newcastle last season, had move retired as well as they were both without a club. Both these players had numerous clubs wanting them but nobody had offered them a contract. I am now manager at Cagliari and had tried to sign Kerlon only the week before but failed due to only being able to sign 1 non-EU player. I think it's ridiculous that good players retire just because they haven't had a club for a few months when people still want to sign them, has anybody else seen stuff like this?

Yeah, I've seen an unemployed 20 year old Ivorian goalkeeper saying he was going to retire in 2013. (Currently in 2012). Thought it was a little funny cause he had pretty good potential and had made a few appearances for the U21 national team.

A lot of young players, especially regens retire if they go for more than 6 months without a club, it's a bit of a pain especially when you see a young world class Costa Rican (e.g.) who is willing to come to you for nothing, but is retiring on 02/0720xx because he has no club.

It is a lot worse for regens from nations with no league structure, or major club representation in the game, as they have nowhere to go. That is probably the reason why the Ivorian goalie is retiring because the local clubs arent fully coded and thus cannot offer him a contract he'll take, and foreign clubs wont gamble on an unproven player especially if he is non EU.

Archived