Which match mode do you prefer?

Which one do you prefer?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you prefer?

• Key
    • Extended
    • Full

Because the game isn't about racing through seasons, its about enjoying the experience and the match is central to that.

On a sidenote though how on earth do you manage to identify when to change tactics if you only use key highlights?

I use key highlights. I can read things in terms of opposition tactics and how well my tactics are working quite quickly. I previously used 'extended' until I started to be able to read the AI fast enough to react to it.

I find the match representation can be quite repetitive and I tend to see the same things happening quite often just using key highlights. Does anyone else find this?

I watch in 2D mode. Just lately, I have been playing quite a bit of FM09 and there are certain moves, chances (especially hitting the bar, skimming the bar, the ball going over) and even certain goals (especially one where the striker shoots from an angle quite close to the goal and it goes under the 'keeper) that I have seen occurring quite regularly during matches. I can only presume that this has something to do with the introduction of 3D because I haven't really noticed in it in FM08 but it really sticks out in the new game.

Anyone else noticed this?

Regards,

C.

Because the game isn't about racing through seasons, its about enjoying the experience and the match is central to that.

On a sidenote though how on earth do you manage to identify when to change tactics if you only use key highlights?

For me it actually is. I don't really enjoy the tactical side of the game, I prefer to play the long term game by signing players, watching them improve and continually working on improving my squad. I use the same solid tactic (which I spent a while designing) for every match, I make the vital changes but I'd rather just get on with it and move on to the next match.

Key for most games, however for bigger games I use extended. :)

Same.

I'd watch extended if I changed tactics at all, but other than injuries and subs I no longer like to change tactics unless I have to: There isn't enough ++ to changing tactics mid-match to outweigh the --, generally.

I use key highlights. I can read things in terms of opposition tactics and how well my tactics are working quite quickly. I previously used 'extended' until I started to be able to read the AI fast enough to react to it.

I find the match representation can be quite repetitive and I tend to see the same things happening quite often just using key highlights. Does anyone else find this?

I watch in 2D mode. Just lately, I have been playing quite a bit of FM09 and there are certain moves, chances (especially hitting the bar, skimming the bar, the ball going over) and even certain goals (especially one where the striker shoots from an angle quite close to the goal and it goes under the 'keeper) that I have seen occurring quite regularly during matches. I can only presume that this has something to do with the introduction of 3D because I haven't really noticed in it in FM08 but it really sticks out in the new game.

Anyone else noticed this?

Regards,

C.

I've noticed both of what you mentioned a lot, but thought it was just me :o

Have to be honest, didn't realise so many people still went for commentary. To me, it's like driving a Mini when you have the keys to a Porsche. I'd much prefer to see my team play than read about them.

But hey, to each their own. Where are the rest of the full'ies? I'm sure there is more. Let's be av'n ya.

Have to be honest, didn't realise so many people still went for commentary. To me, it's like driving a Mini when you have the keys to a Porsche. I'd much prefer to see my team play than read about them.

But hey, to each their own. Where are the rest of the full'ies? I'm sure there is more. Let's be av'n ya.

I also play full. You never know what you are going to miss, though in the lower leagues it is plenty of dross. (:-

It is about racing through seasons if you are limited for time and have other responsibilities. Also, I never change tactics, so....

Further proof that the game isn't as complex has portrayed.

Same thing happened in 08. People harped on about how hard it was and how it was so frustrating to tweak all the time. Then 09 came out and there was a lot of talk about how complex each attribute was and what off the ball does to player x etc, afaic it's codswallop, I load my save, click continue and relax.

Further proof that the game isn't as complex has portrayed.

Saying that, I did spend a considerable amount of time designing that tactic but once it was finished it has made my games so much faster and more enjoyable.

Saying that, I did spend a considerable amount of time designing that tactic but once it was finished it has made my games so much faster and more enjoyable.

I'm not dispelling the work that went into your tactic at all. You have done very well to get from the BSN/S to the Premier League. I was pointing out the constant "you need to tweak all the time" and "you need to react to in-game situations" arguments are not nescessarily true and are perhaps forcing something on the user that they don't need to do. Congratulations on your success and am not way am I saying that not alot of work went into your tactic!

To the chaps with just one tactic - can I ask what kind of tactic is it? By that, I mean are the mentalities normal or attacking? Width, defensive line, things like that?

I've often thought that the game is biased towards attacking mentalities and that you could be successful with one fairly 'balanced' attacking tactic. Essentially, as you progress through the game and become successful, the opposition becomes more defensive in its outlook.

If you are a top team, you could easily get away with just one tactic and never tweak. Even starting as a bottom team, I think you could take the rough with the smooth at first and pretty quickly get to a point where you are succeeding once the team is gelled and you have good players.

I still think that for maximum performance, tweaking is useful, especially in away games where the opposition can become quite aggressive if you have a slender lead. But, in theory, I imagine it is perfectly possible to create one tactic and to be very successful with it. Well, I mean, Dafuge has proved it. :thup:

Regards,

C.

To the chaps with just one tactic - can I ask what kind of tactic is it? By that, I mean are the mentalities normal or attacking? Width, defensive line, things like that?

I've often thought that the game is biased towards attacking mentalities and that you could be successful with one fairly 'balanced' attacking tactic. Essentially, as you progress through the game and become successful, the opposition becomes more defensive in its outlook.

If you are a top team, you could easily get away with just one tactic and never tweak. Even starting as a bottom team, I think you could take the rough with the smooth at first and pretty quickly get to a point where you are succeeding once the team is gelled and you have good players.

I still think that for maximum performance, tweaking is useful, especially in away games where the opposition can become quite aggressive if you have a slender lead. But, in theory, I imagine it is perfectly possible to create one tactic and to be very successful with it. Well, I mean, Dafuge has proved it. :thup:

Regards,

C.

Mentality - 12

CF - 10

Passing Style - 8

Tempo - 13

Width - 10

Closing Down - 11.

Key mostly. On FM09 i used commentary only since they stupidly removed one of the sliders so the highlights are way too fast or the game is way too slow. In other words, everything except commentary is useless. Its funny that they added 3d, but managed with one unbelievably dumb move to make even 2d unusable.

Regards,

C.

Here's what my tactic looks like, although I should add that there are lots of individual instructions so it is not quite that simple.

It was originally designed to be a balanced attacking tactic but at the moment the strength is actually the defence.

What you've said there has been very true for me, when I have players who are better than the opposition I tend to do well but with a weak squad I will struggle. It is certainly no wonder tactic that will guarantee success.

Teams never park the bus at least I've yet to see it happening in FM like I do IRL.

Full most of the time to gauge the other team but I do switch to key when I feel confident I'm going to run away with the match. I tend to switch back around 75th minute if I'm only 1-0 sometimes even 2-0 ahead.

Yes Dafuge, your tactic is pretty much as I expected it would be.

As I said before, in my opinion the game is biased towards attacking mentalities. At the start, some teams might be more aggressive but your home form probably carries you forward. Then, the AI is very quick to change to be more defensive, even when at home. Away from home might be more difficult because in my experience the AI changes more often to attack, especially if it is behind and needs a goal. However, I imagine that if you have good team gelling, good players and good home form, you pick enough up on the road.

I would think that your approach works pretty well Dafuge. :thup:

Regards,

C.

I always play in Full Match Mode. An FM match for me is played out pretty much in 'real time', in that it usually takes me around ninety minutes per match. :)

I like to, as a 'real life' manager would, observe every facet and action of what is taking place upon the field of play. I enjoy to watch the exciting brand of attacking, yet patient build-up possession football that my teams play. I also like to see exactly what the opposition are up to at all times. Since I began to play on Full mode, the amount of goals I concede has dropped by approximately 65%, as I am able to notice and counteract every change they make, and see what each team is doing against me that proves effective. I find this enables me to spot potential vulnerabilities before they are exposed, and prevent them from occurring, rather than noticing the problem when my 'keeper is fishing the ball out of his net. :)

I find that playing in any other mode, what I gain in speed, I sacrifice in control. Not a sacrifice I am prepared to make. ;)

Sure, the additional time it takes was a drawback at first, but the benefits soon began to outweigh the consequences for me personally, and very soon I found that I was beginning to enjoy playing this way so much, that I could never go back to extended highlights. Only exception on occasions, is games very early on in pre-season against much weaker opposition.

Archived