FM10: Please show the real career stats.

As you can see, the career stats only shows the league stats in FM. The mod in the 'Skinning hideout' told me it's not possible to edit any panels to change it. So I hope SI could make tickbox like "show all competitions"(same as how we can filter to see the players stats in the squad screen), 'league', 'UEFA CL' and etc in FM10. Thanks.

aguero2.jpg

Oh God yes.

Also, when a player you sold returns to the club, quit telling me he played at the club for 11 years when it was, in fact, two ^^

Just in case you didn't know, you can click the arrow at the side of the season you wish to look at the stats for, and you will get a full list of stats at the bottom.

• SI Staff

The problem with showing combined stats for all competitions is that it gives an unbalanced view of the player's appearances / goal record as the game progresses as the only researched appearances and goal totals are for league games only.

only gives an unbalanced view for the 'non' FM seasons though, ie the ones you have no involvement in!

i'm sure the majority would live with this.

in fact why don't SI do a poll with things like this? that would represent true user involvement and i know it's something that would take an hour of development and testing!!!

The problem with showing combined stats for all competitions is that it gives an unbalanced view of the player's appearances / goal record as the game progresses as the only researched appearances and goal totals are for league games only.

And the problem with just showing league stats is that it gives us an unbalanced view of how a player has performed in later seasons. So at least give us the option of which unbalanced view we want.

I think its pretty bad that this isnt in the game already there should at least be a filter with tick boxes to show the records from all competitions. I am sure that this is something virtually every FM player would like to see, does the game record all appearances, goals and average ratings for the overall best 11? I thought it did.

Simple solution really - make it a toggle option. Those who have more than half a brain can choose "All Competition" stats, the rest can choose "Domestic League Only". ^^

Strongly agree with the "toggle" idea.

What I'd like to see is a drop-down with which I can select "League", "Cup", "Continental", "All Club", or "International".

That way I can look at the aspect of a player's career that I want to look at.

Said drop-down would remember what I had set, and show all players with that setting until I change it.

The argument that the display would be incorrect when showing pre-existing research does nothing for me: I know that, I understood that back in FM'05 when it worked differently, and it didn't bother me then. I tend to play long-term games, so "original player data" doesn't matter as much to me as the long-term behavior.

Strongly agree with the "toggle" idea.

What I'd like to see is a drop-down with which I can select "League", "Cup", "Continental", "All Club", or "International".

That way I can look at the aspect of a player's career that I want to look at.

Said drop-down would remember what I had set, and show all players with that setting until I change it.

The argument that the display would be incorrect when showing pre-existing research does nothing for me: I know that, I understood that back in FM'05 when it worked differently, and it didn't bother me then. I tend to play long-term games, so "original player data" doesn't matter as much to me as the long-term behavior.

Completely agree with this, I think this is an important thing that has been missing from FM.

• SI Staff

You can see the other stats for each year by clicking on the row, and see an overall stat there. The main stat is for first team games, as this is the normal way that this football stat is shown on sports websites, data sites and the official club websites. Therefore, we do the same, and choose the league list as default, as that is the main competition.

By combining them, that would also combine youth team, reserve team, all cups, friendlies, internationals etc. It would upset the balance of the average ratings, as someone might have a 9 average in youth matches, but a 6 in first team. I'd rather be able to see easily that the player isn't ready for first team football, rather than see his main rating for a season being closer to 9, and having to dig deeper.

Surely it's not an insurmountable problem to leave the Non-competitive stats out of the total? I can't believe the decision is either 'add in everything' or 'add nothing'.

Clicking on each season individually makes looking at a player's entire career awkward at best.

Adding the much-requested 'Show all competitions' option seems like it should be simple to me, but then again I don't program.

There is a big difference between showing just league match stats and showing all 'first class' match stats. Just showing league match stats does not show the true position.

In essence, the request is to have a toggle option : main option is League only, with the alternate being League plus Cup plus Continental plus Internationals.

No need to show youth or reserve or friendly matches, and i'm not sure why you brought these up, but it would be nice if these were recorded instead of ignored once the season has finished.

You can see the other stats for each year by clicking on the row, and see an overall stat there. The main stat is for first team games, as this is the normal way that this football stat is shown on sports websites, data sites and the official club websites. Therefore, we do the same, and choose the league list as default, as that is the main competition.

By combining them, that would also combine youth team, reserve team, all cups, friendlies, internationals etc. It would upset the balance of the average ratings, as someone might have a 9 average in youth matches, but a 6 in first team. I'd rather be able to see easily that the player isn't ready for first team football, rather than see his main rating for a season being closer to 9, and having to dig deeper.

Nobody's advocating including reserve and youth games, though. The issue is including domestic cup and continental records. I'd definitely be in favour of adding a tickbox saying something like 'show league statistics only' or 'show statistics for all competitions', depending on what you'd want the default to be.

I dont get why this cant be done if you click on the season individually you can see how many cup games they played in the season or how many continental games they played. Surely it cant be that hard to add them all together and provide a drop down menu or tick box to show each in total.

Sure - and it would remain the default in the drop-down option proposed.

So you, personally, would never change the drop-down. That's fine - but please don't force that choice on me!

I should have been more clear in my earlier post: by "All Club", I did mean "All Club Competitions". As noted above, I wouldn't expect youth, reserve, friendlies, or internationals to be included in the "All Club Competitions" selection: that would be the summation of the current "League", "Cup", and "Continental" options (just as was displayed in FM'05).

• SI Staff
Surely it's not an insurmountable problem to leave the Non-competitive stats out of the total? I can't believe the decision is either 'add in everything' or 'add nothing'.

It's not a case of whether it's an insurmountable problem or not - it's one of the way that it is displayed on the vast majority of websites, stats books, and even the clubs own websites. They split the stats up. So do we.

Tell you what though, I'll ask for it to be brought up as a question in our next round of usability studies and see what people think the stat is there (it's a good breadth of people, some FM fans, some football fans).

If you make a toggle option, like you have with player stats, to include "All games", "League", "Domestic Cup", "Continental" and "International" it's win-win for everybody. You could even include one for "Non-competitive" if you're really dedicated.

As Suge says, just make it optional - if you don't want to (or can't) bundle them all together, just have different options.

Personally, I'd like to see League, Continental and Domestic Cup options joined together. The International stats under the profile is fine.

Being honest, I would be too fussed if the non-competitive goals etc. got binned altogether.

• SI Staff

There isn't time now to make it optional - it's too late in the dev cycle to be re-writing code in screens, or changing the structure of the skin. It might sound like a simple change, but it isn't.

So it would be one, or the other.

Tubey84 kind of sums it up though in his post - it's all personal opinion. What he wants is probably different to what someone else wants, or what a third person wants, etc.

True enough, which would suggest to me that providing as many options as reasonably possible is probably the right way to go. Anyway, if it's too late for the next version, that's unfortunate, but taking a look at the issue is positive at least.

There isn't time now to make it optional - it's too late in the dev cycle to be re-writing code in screens, or changing the structure of the skin. It might sound like a simple change, but it isn't.

Tubey84 kind of sums it up though in his post - it's all personal opinion. What he wants is probably different to what someone else wants, or what a third person wants, etc.

Fair play.

Fair enough; I think most of us understand that you're fairly deep into the development cycle for FM'10.

However, I'd like to point out that we've been having this same discussion in various threads, with various partisans, ever since the change was made to abandon the old style.

Can we please get "display option" added to the shortlist of things under consideration for FM'11 and future versions?

Thanks for taking time to address this - we all know you're busy!

Thanks for the response.... Would be good like you said to have the majority decide. How are things coming along for the new game? 1st announcements in August right???

i'm going with the majority of posters on this thread.

i've never understood why fm only uses the stats from league games, i think all competetive club games should be included. a good example of it in real life is when ryan giggs recently broke manchester uniteds apperance record, that was a total of all first team games not purely league games.

Personally I'd prefer to see all competitive matches recorded on the career screen. I appreciate the reasons for not having it this way but I find it quite frustrating that I can't easily access information on how many appearances or goals a player has made for the club. I may be wrong but the only way to find these out is by manually going through each season and adding them up yourself, or by using the best XI screen (if the player is on it).

Ideally, the history page could do with the competitions tab that appears on the form screen.

Too late to make it optional, this was in a thread months ago.

We all want a similar thing as well from what i see, just to see total games and goals in the first team, league + cup + europe like is done in real life.

Ronaldo = 42 goals in a season, all competitions

D Bent is hailed as Spurs top scorer on all websites and newspapers as speculation grows over his future. They say top scorer with 17, so all competitions again.

Mr Shearer scored 206 goals for Newcastle, once more, all competitions.

People talk about all competitions more than anything when talking about goal totals. It would make the game so much better despite only seeming minor.

People talk about all competitions more than anything when talking about goal totals. It would make the game so much better despite only seeming minor.

I disagree, I think it's personal opinion. Reading's top goalscorer in 2006-2007 was Doyle with 13, not Lita with 14, because Lita scored most of his goals against weak opposition in the cups.

• SI Staff
i'm going with the majority of posters on this thread.

i've never understood why fm only uses the stats from league games, i think all competetive club games should be included. a good example of it in real life is when ryan giggs recently broke manchester uniteds apperance record, that was a total of all first team games not purely league games.

A lot of this information isn't easy to find. How many Scottish League Cup appearances did Barry Ferguson make for Rangers in the 2002/2003 season? What about European appearances? While that information can probably be found out through a lot of research, multiply that by each competition, each season, each squad member and it soon turns into a mammoth task.

Then you have other countries where information like this is simply not available.

Yeah if there was a way, so that you could see how your new signing gets on over 5 seasons, maybe realise he is coming up to his 100th goal and put him on Peno duty etc.. I do realize it might be a bit much to ask for however.

A lot of this information isn't easy to find. How many Scottish League Cup appearances did Barry Ferguson make for Rangers in the 2002/2003 season? What about European appearances? While that information can probably be found out through a lot of research, multiply that by each competition, each season, each squad member and it soon turns into a mammoth task.

Then you have other countries where information like this is simply not available.

As has already been said several times in this very thread, it's understandable if it's not possible to have this information for every player's history. A lot of people are more interested in the stats generated once the game starts, and if you play long-term games the histories become irrelevant fairly quickly.

I don't think anyone is saying 'go back and get the all competitions information for every player in every league in the game'. We're asking if it could be an option for displaying stats going forward, and fortunately the answer appears to at least be 'maybe'.

its just as frustrating as when have young players at the start of their career who play in cups etc you go to their history and whilst they may have played 20/30 games they show as 2 or 3 sub appearances when they played in the league.

A lot of this information isn't easy to find. How many Scottish League Cup appearances did Barry Ferguson make for Rangers in the 2002/2003 season? What about European appearances?

4 in the LC and 2 in Europe, with no goals in any of those games. Surely not that hard to find out, took me 10 seconds to look it up.

4 in the LC and 2 in Europe, with no goals in any of those games. Surely not that hard to find out, took me 10 seconds to look it up.

And if you do it now, you'd only have to add a season each year, compared to the rather large job required initially. Plus you have a year to do all those 10 second searches.

I think the information should be displayed like this from the start of the game. I assume alot of people are more interested in the stats from when their game starts than from the history of football.

Archived