Please try not repeat fm2009!!!

Football Manager 2007 was good, 2008 was better and now 2009.

The problem with Football Manager 2009 is the complete change in system requirements. It's gone from one extreme to another. Not many of us can afford top of the range PC's to play some of the big games today.

So my plea to Sports Interactive is yes make Football Manager 2010 better than 2009 thats a given, BUT can you not make so powerful that people have to go out and buy completely new PC's just to work it. I know you have to improve the graphics, the games engine and other things like that, but keep things simple SI. Just make small improvements. This years is good, but on my PC is not great and I know that cos I don't have a top of the range PC.

So please Sports Interactive I know your in the full throws of making FM2010, but please just consider those who don't have great PC's and keep the system requirements simple and not over the top. And also remeber we're in a recession if you know what that means.

Of course we all know that this thread will NOT be taken seriously and FM2010 will be have system requirements that will read like this maybe:

Operating System Minimum Windows Vista (No Windows XP anymore), Minimum Hard Disk Space 4GB, 4.0 GHz processor, Minimum 4GB RAM, Graphics Minimum BFG

GTX 260 OC Maxcore 896MB graphics card or Sapphire Radeon HD4870 512MB PCI-E Graphics Card, Sound Minimum Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer PCI Internal Soundcard and not to mention £39.99 price tag.

I know abit over the top, but I reckon when release date comes I won't be far off the mark. We'll have to wait and see hey.

A bit over the top is right I would say ;)

TBF it is hard to improve the game like everyone wants, and then have it at a lower spec needed. I doubt that they will sacrifice the game being playable on XP as a lot of people still use it, so it would be a bad business move to not let it be playable on XP. Also, 4GB of hard disk space is not a lot, my £400 laptop has 2 60GB hard drives, and most computers have more.

I can see what you mean at the massive jump in graphics card, although that might be expected going from 2d to 3d, although I have no idea.

Sound wise you don't really need anything as the sound in the game is virtually non-existent anyway, and many don't use it.

Like peter-evo said, it's unlikely system requirements will go down. They may even increase.

Also the system requirements for FM09 weren't bad. I was able to run it on a old, slow, glitchy laptop ok. I know there were lots of problems at the start of the year technically but SI took there time to sought them out and now most people can run FM on there computer.

^^Lol

2007 was good, hated 2008 but that was personal preference i think, anyway, the system requirements were a big jump this year because of 3D being added. Next year i expect slightly higher requirements but i also think SI will optimise a lot of there code which will help those with not as great computers.

But at first i thought your post would be a reasonable read, i mean you actually used paragraphs unlike many ranters... it was not though, you went over the top. I stopped reading after the system requirements as i was wasting my time.

Yes some of the concerns talked about in the thread are relevant but how can they make the game better whilst lowering the system requirements? Better features=Higher system requirement usually

Exactly. SI can't improve the game without putting system requirements higher.. One day I played FIFA99 (just for fun), the requirements were very low, of course, but players looked like little boxes :D

System requirements don't bother me too much. My PC isn't top of the range but it runs 09 fine.

I just want the game to be fun again. 09 does not have much of a fun factor, it's pretty much a chore. I play it because it's currently the most detailed and up to date manager game available... but I very rarely come off it feeling pleased. Almost always frustrated at the numerous things in the game which anger me... and i'm successful at it. Can only imagine how enraged those who aren't so good at it get. 09 is the most annoying version of the game so far, for a variety of reasons that have already been discussed at length throughout the boards (injuries, press conferences, overestimated importance of tactics & team-talks, silly budgets for smaller premier league clubs, Adebuyor, Arsenal in general... etc etc etc).

I really just want FM 2010 to be fun... forget the overanalysis and go back to the basics. Getting the game back to the fun level of 06 - 08 without losing the decent features would be fine.

DE4life - that's a great post. I'm totally with you on that. You've summed up how I feel.

I just seem to get frustrated by so many things on FM09. I'm successful at it too, just like you are, but there is something missing for me in this edition.

I think the slowness of the game doesn't help either but I couldn't agree with what you have written more. For me, it's the injuries, press conferences, processing speeds, poor 2d, unresponsive interface and so on.

FM08 was such a brilliant game. For me, the most enjoyable in the series. Smooth, playable, addictive. I don't think going backwards is necessarily the right idea, but looking back at the good things about that game is the key in my opinion.

Regards,

C.

No i would agree, ive played FM05 onwards, and before that it was champ man. I really love 05, then 06, then 07. But 08 was a huge disappointment in my eyes, no matter what i tried i couldnt get into it and it was a chore trying, 09 on the other hand gripped me from the first day. I feel really into all my saves even though press conferences do get a bit tedious at times, although just the other day i got a question i had never gotten before, see what happens when you play in a new league :)

SI have indicated ( altho this will be dependant on final testing ) that it is unlikely that the min specs for the game will go up much, if at all. It is unlikely, however, that they will go down. I see no reason given that information that XP will not continue to be supported.

DE4life - that's a great post. I'm totally with you on that. You've summed up how I feel.

I just seem to get frustrated by so many things on FM09. I'm successful at it too, just like you are, but there is something missing for me in this edition.

I think the slowness of the game doesn't help either but I couldn't agree with what you have written more. For me, it's the injuries, press conferences, processing speeds, poor 2d, unresponsive interface and so on.

FM08 was such a brilliant game. For me, the most enjoyable in the series. Smooth, playable, addictive. I don't think going backwards is necessarily the right idea, but looking back at the good things about that game is the key in my opinion.

Regards,

C.

I also totally agree with you and DE4life. In this year's edition theyre's not as much as fun as you mentioned. I also realise how they overly-estimate the team talks and tactics, that I find is a big factor.

The 2d I don't like in this edition, nowhere near as good as 08, I'm probably just odd but it somehow if you get what I mean tracks the movements of the 3d engine. Crouchy I believe you are founder of CAMRAD is the right name I hope, I don't even think I've signed up yet!

And again I agree with you on 08 being the best. I loved it, was addictive, 2d was good, wasn't that complicated tactic-wise. I found this unstoppable tactic at Barca which won me 6/6 trophies every season(I'm still on it), and that for me was the fun factor.

i remember when video and tape cassets where the in thing and now its all about disks memory sticks and so fourth, to say can you not make the game bigger ect is impossible because times change and we just have to move along with them, no different from Tv going over to digital ect.. ask your self what kind of game will we have in 10 years time cos id say there will be an awsome game in 10 years that will make todays game look simplistic.. ;)

I also totally agree with you and DE4life. In this year's edition theyre's not as much as fun as you mentioned. I also realise how they overly-estimate the team talks and tactics, that I find is a big factor.

The 2d I don't like in this edition, nowhere near as good as 08, I'm probably just odd but it somehow if you get what I mean tracks the movements of the 3d engine. Crouchy I believe you are founder of CAMRAD is the right name I hope, I don't even think I've signed up yet!

And again I agree with you on 08 being the best. I loved it, was addictive, 2d was good, wasn't that complicated tactic-wise. I found this unstoppable tactic at Barca which won me 6/6 trophies every season(I'm still on it), and that for me was the fun factor.

A game isn't realistic in the least if you can find one unstoppable tactic that always works. If that's why you like 08, I hope it never makes it back into the series. No offense, but I want the game to require me to tinker.

It is a reality of life and the changing nature of both hardware and software, that minimum specifications will increase. If you are somehow hoping for a decrease in minimum specifications, you will be sorely disappointed.

There will come a time, where you will have to buy a new computer to play the latest version of Football Manager. Stop crying about it, suck it in, and upgrade your computer.

A good computer will almost certainly allow you to keep on playing the latest version of FM for at least 3 iterations with no noticeable drop in performance (I got 4 versions of FM out of my last computer; FM05, 07, 08 and 09, ironically, the one that ran the worst on that computer was CM4, always with large databases and many leagues loaded with no major performance hits) - that's extremely good value for money in today's resource-intensive gaming market.

People are constantly asking SI to put more detail, more players, more stats, more graphics, more of everything into the game, but then somehow expect that it will run at the same level of performance with old hardware. Really. The lack of logical thought processes that exists out there utterly astounds me sometimes.

why would SI make a game thats not compatible with XP?

anyway, if SI dont move with the times then they will be left behind. while everyone else is experimenting with new technology and new ways of doing things, SI will still be making games that can only work on a lower end set up.

i'm sure they will try and allow as many people as possible to play the game as the more people who can, the more will buy, and the more money they will get.

The problem is the older ones were way too easy and honestly the football wasn't realistic in anyway. I'm not saying that 09 isn't easy but it's certainly harder. Also the football isn't exactly realistic but it's definitely a lot more realistic. That's to be expected though. I think it's impossible to create realistic football at this point in time. I'm not sure a team of MIT (top of their class) graduates can recreate realistic looking football in the time frame SI have had. AI technology hasn't developed enough.

I think people are exaggerating on both ends. It's not as bad as it is made out to be and it's certainly not amazing. It's right where it should be. A game that's ahead of every other game like it. It's all we can really ask for or expect.

FM07 was way the best in the series and on a personal point of view the series has gone backwards in direction and needs to have something special and something what stands out to make me buy it again and with FML getting better and better cant see myself buying fm10 or any other one again in its current format.

Archived