Do older players get too poor too soon?

Was just thinking about it - what determines how quickly a player loses his CA based on age? Is it natural fitness? If he has high physical attributes during the 'peak' of his career, including natural fitness, will he still maintain his CA when he reaches 33 or 34?

I've been playing as Wycombe, and seeing as they're a lower league team, I'm often left to nothing but free transfers - normally older players that can still do a job. But why are nearly all 33/34 year olds (bar those who start the game/programmed in the database as good) rubbish?

After taking them to the Championship, I managed to snap up a recently turned 34 years old Riquelme, with excellent technical stats, but something ridiculous like 2 for Acceleration and 5 for Pace. Coupled with 5 for Stamina and something equally low for Strength, he (theoretically, anyway) could never last a game, or keep up with the physical demands of the game (although it still didn't stop him from bagging 18 assists in 22 starts!) Can players even get that physically poor if they're still playing professionally?

It's just that there are/were players that are/were still great, despite age; Zidane, Cannavaro, Ayala, Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Materazzi, Del Piero, Klinsmann, that Paraguayan central midfielder whose name escapes me who was still thought of as one of the better players in the international side, David Weir (although less down to greatness, more down to his incredible age and still playing to a decent level) to name some off the top of my head. Whilst I appreciate that ex-League One players who hit 33 aren't going to be anywhere near as likely to maintain that level of ability as an international star, I just think that every now and again, I should be able to look for a player on a free transfer and be pleasantly surprised to find somebody who's 33 and his legs haven't completely gone.

By the games reckoning, were Giggs to have started at the age of 29 for example, and you played through 4 seasons, he'd probably be without a club or languishing in United reserves with 5 for Pace and Acceleration, waiting for his deal to expire, but in reality he's still a good squad player.

Yes, it is quite annoying. Especially, when an AI manager wont pick them, even though technically, and mentally, the players sound.

Its also stupid the way the player gets thrown straight in to the reserves aswell. Even though he has two years left on his 80k a week contract.

Before the patches came out players used to regularly keep playing into their late 30's on my games. Lampard and Gerrard were still key players at 38 and 36ish. That was a bit far fetched, but a damn sight more realistic than it is at the moment. Surely finding middle ground between then and now isn't too hard?

Physical attributes can drop down shockingly fast. They appear to drop even faster if the player happens to be out of contract for a period of time - no training at a club, etc. However, correct me if I'm wrong here - there appear to be a number of players 33+ that still manage to have solid physical attributes for the time being.

Originally posted by Svenc:

Physical attributes can drop down shockingly fast. They appear to drop even faster if the player happens to be out of contract for a period of time - no training at a club, etc. However, correct me if I'm wrong here - there appear to be a number of players 33+ that still manage to have solid physical attributes for the time being.

i find that the current older players (nesta, ambrossin etc) have a tendency to last longer than the regens who come through

On a game I've got the african cup of nations has ravaged my team of its midfield, so I thought of signing some cheap veterans to get the job done, I searched Ryan Giggs who is now playing in the reserves for luton who are in league 2, in 2 years time (well technically, in just over 1 year) would anyone say Ryan Giggs wouldn't be good enough to play league 2 football?

It happens all too often, a lot of players who are old are still top quality when the game starts, but within 12 months are past it.

I think this is more of an issue about teams not playing players once they hit 33/34. As the OP says Man Utd dump the likes of Giggs, Scholes and neville in the reserves or even worse transfer list them. This obviously has an effect on the players stats as they aren't playing regularly.

Whereas in two of my saves i've had a 36 year old Mexes and a 35 year old Milito play over 20 games and average over 7.00, I also brought Eto'o to AEK Atehns at the age of 33, he's now 35 and has scored over 15 goals a season.

I think we can perhaps survive longer with players by giving them matches and maintaining their first team action but the irritating thing is the willingness to get rid of star players by the AI, e.g. at Spurs I signed a 34 year old Gerard who hadn't played a league game in two years for Liverpool and he became the rock of my midfield that took us to 3rd.

Archived