U19 players "stealing" first team squad numbers

Hello. I've posted about this on other threads but without too much joy.

I'm playing my first season in Spain as Valencia. I have a decent first team of 22 players plus 7-8 promising youngsters in the U19s. I don't bother with the B team as I can't control training.

I have registered 3 of my U19s in the first team along with the 22 first teamers, making the full allocation of 25 registered players as per La Liga rules.

On match days all of the U19 players appear as available (including the 2 non-EU players I have in there, huh?). Due to suspensions, injuries, call-ups, etc. I sometimes play U19 players in league games. Mostly this is not a problem but occassionally one of the unregistered U19 players "steals" a first team player's squad no. Said first teamer is then inelligable for league games until I can re-register him (up to 4 months in worst case scenario).

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to fix it? If not, is there a strategy for developing youth players in Spain without compromising the first team squad?

All help much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It's a known bug. I think, but i'm not sure, that there was a fix in 9.3.0. IF you're on an older patch download this. Of course, i may be wrong.

I am running 9.3.0.

It has been reported on these forums as a bug but as far as I can tell S.I. have not acknoledged it as such. No one seems to know if it can be fixed or if there is a way around it.

iirc you don't need to register U19s. They are all able to play first team games. Just allocate numbers to your seniors.

You seem to have missed the point. I don't want to register my U19s. I want to STOP them having squad numbers. I am able to play U19s without registering them but they "steal" Ist team players numbers, making them inelligable. Unless there is a strategy around this issue it makes developing youth players very tricky. It's looking like a game breaker to me...

I am doing a valencia save at the moment.

Just starting my second season and I have had no problems so far. Although, I haven't called up any of the U19's yet because they are not good enough.

Would you mind playing one or more of your unregistered U19 players in your next league game (save it first, obviously) and see if any of your 1st team players get their squad numbers "stolen". Just as an experiment. Let me know if you do/have any problems. Cheers.

• 1 month later...
This is definitely a problem. In Spain unregistered U19 players steal squad numbers from senior players, making the senior players ineligible. If there is one bug that has annoyed me more than any other it is this one. I am on 9.3.0 and it is still not fixed. I hope the problem is finally solved in FM10.

I can confirm this is still the case and also agree it is most annoying. I held off playing in the spanish leagues until 9.3.0 because of this bug. I heard it was fixed but lo and behold it was not. This can seriously mess up your season if one or two (or more) key players get their squad number stolen in say, February, because this means they are ineligible for league matches for the rest of the season.

Please please say this has been fixed for FM10.

Archived