Any tips or guides to starting International Management?

I've done several searches on international management. There is some useful information out there but I still don't see the info I need. There is my first time managing an international side (USA). I'm just trying to figure out how to get started with them. It seems that you don't have scouts but you can get coaches to scout. That's about all I know. I'm also managing Fulham and it all appears abit overwhelming right now. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

There's several game items you should take a look at:

-National Pool. Accesible through several menu's this contains the core pool of players eligible for your national teams. If you've taken control of a Nation no new players will be added to this automatically, if you want to add players to this you'll need to do this manually.

- You can add coaches by offering staff this National job. Their main use would be to make a scout report of players, they will not give those automagically like with club squads but you'll need to assign them to watch a player's matches. Unfortunately the star rating will not be visible on the National Pool screen in the default skin, if you want to visually compare your players you'll need to use the National player search for this. Important to note is that the scout evaluation on this screen is only visible if a coach is still assigned to watch his matches. If you stop watching a player's matches the star rating will not be visible anymore in the standard skin.

- When starting with a new National job it's a good idea to check whether there's managers for your U2x squads. You could opt to take on those roles yourself or you can offer managers the National job of U2X manager.

What I do when taking over a National team is:

* Hire at least 3 coaches with scouting abilities of 15+

* Let them evaluate my whole current squad and the best-looking U21's

* Hire U21 and U19 managers

Based on the players and level of my squad I will pick a formation, I try to not make it too complicated as I figure a National manager only has a squad for a few days to train them.

Thanks. Sounds like some good information. As the US manager I have an under-23 and under-20 side. I've tried to hire a manager for the under-23 side but that is not available for some reason. I can hire a manger for the under-20 side. I have no manager in the under-23 side at all. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks. Sounds like some good information. As the US manager I have an under-23 and under-20 side. I've tried to hire a manager for the under-23 side but that is not available for some reason. I can hire a manger for the under-20 side. I have no manager in the under-23 side at all. Any thoughts on this?

U23 squad is the Olympic squad. Qualification for the Olympics is done with your U20 squad, and in an Olympic year you'll be able to call up players to the U23 squad and staff it.

Lomedae thats good info:thup:

I'll try to add abit about games.

In friendlies pick players you want to try out and use them to bleed the youth as they need to adapt. Also try tactics for Hard and Easy teams and Home and Away.

For squads call ups for major tournaments add a mix of experience if you have a young squad as they can pull the team together. And build teams for the future so they are ready

Lomedae thats good info:thup:

I'll try to add abit about games.

In friendlies pick players you want to try out and use them to bleed the youth as they need to adapt. Also try tactics for Hard and Easy teams and Home and Away.

For squads call ups for major tournaments add a mix of experience if you have a young squad as they can pull the team together. And build teams for the future so they are ready

Well i never just manage an international team as the spaces between games are very large normally. So i actually tend to play as club manager and int manager as most people do im sure. I do however pick my brilliant english players or ones with great futures ahead of them for their country (always play in england and manage england) so i can get there CA raised a but quicker.

Just one tip - try not to mix your squad around too often. They get very limited time together and, as such, they need to be as familiar as possible. Similarly, stick with one type of formation set whenever possible. I actually disagree with what Welsh Wizard has said - don't use senior international friendlies to madly experiment with youth. Basically pick a squad you think will succeed at a major tournament, and stick with it (injuries allowing).

Thanks for more info. I'm having a hard time finding coaches that want to come to me. It appears I need to find a physio and a goalkeeping coach. Is that right?

There is no conclusive data about the effect of coaches on national squads apart from cosmetic ones and scouting. I only hire goalkeeping coaches if I can find a good one, but don't really try hard.

If you go for national or lower rep coaches with good pa and ca spotting abilities regardless off nationality you're bound to get a few. You don't have to limit yourself to unemployed coaches, national jobs are an extra job so you should be able to have dozens out there to offer the job.

Just one tip - try not to mix your squad around too often. They get very limited time together and, as such, they need to be as familiar as possible. Similarly, stick with one type of formation set whenever possible. I actually disagree with what Welsh Wizard has said - don't use senior international friendlies to madly experiment with youth. Basically pick a squad you think will succeed at a major tournament, and stick with it (injuries allowing).

As this is a topic for starting International managerment I was on about the first year of games to find players and test formations ect and at the end I did state players need to gel and build teams for the future together. :rolleyes:

So by disagreeing your disagreeing with yourself ;)

Archived