Player may want new challenge - Offer him out? (name mentioned)

One of my players, David Luiz, has stated that he may want a new challenge. He has been with me for 6 years and we have been very successful in the England and Europe so can understand that he may want to try elsewhere.

Whats the best way to handle this? He is not unhappy and is still one of my first choice players but could his performace drop because of his status? Is it best to offer him to other clubs now or wait in the hope that someone makes an offer (he is not yet transfer listed and hasnt asked to be), he is worth about GBP18m.

I have a young defender that I have been bringing along for a couple of years that David Luiz tutored so he could probably take his place now.

Appreciate any advice as have a really good team spirit and dont want to upset things.

Well, all I can say about this is everytime I've had a player wanting a 'new challenge' I've never been able to get it to go away, and normally when a club the player would be keen to join declares interest they ask for a transfer. Although whether they do this will most likely be influenced by their hidden professional + controversy ratings. You'll almost certainly be forced to sell him at some point.

Thanks for reply mate, hopefully someone will come in for him as might be able to get a bit more than the GBP18m for him. I am not too worried about losing him as he has done well for me for 6 years and my young player that can take his place is more than capable of taking that position as he has been playing more first team action this season due to injuries. It is a shame though as my 2 Centre Backs, Luiz and Wheater along with the 2 full backs have been together for 6 years and have been solid for us.

Archived