My career game is ruined as I cant get a job

I'm running all the North & South American leagues and began unemployed (semi-pro rep) with my nationalilty in the game set as Welsh/Brazilian.

I was offered a job at a small Third division club in Brazil which I took and after two years of over achieving resigned as I thought it would give me a better chance of getting a job at a bigger club.

After a month or so, I was offered a job by a midtable club in the Chilean Primera Division and after over acheiving by making the play off rounds of the league competition, I again decided after 2 years to move on to hopefully move up the latter a bit.

Since resigning from the Chilean club, I'm leaving the game run on holiday and am applying for every job. My reputation is now 'National' but the only offers I'm getting are from lowly Brazilian Third Division clubs which is at the level I started out at.

Only 12 months ago I was offered the Bolivar job and now after putting in loads of time into my game, I'm unable to find a club. :(

Nothing mate.

In my first job I was in the Rio State Championship and was the best club behind the big four (Fla, Flu, Botafogo, Vasco) who were much, much stronger than all the other clubs. In my first season in the National division, I went out in the final stage and was close not to gain promotion and in the second season I had to sell my three best players because my salary budget was unexpectedly cut by almost half!

And in Chile, I was eliminated from playoff first round three times. Colo Colo completely dominated the championships and I kept drawing them!

I've just had another offer from some mediocre Mexican second division club who are a 'B' team.

I was hoping I would at least get a Brazilian second division club or a top flight club in one of the other South American leagues.

You really have to win a trophy to push your reputation up significantly. Finishing second, getting to the playoffs, getting to a cup final and winning managerial awards will also push your reputation up slightly. At small clubs, the boost will be less significant, whereas at a big club, you're boost will be much bigger.

Essentially, you've had an unremarkable first two seasons in your first job and then, in Chile, you've got to a few playoffs but got knocked ou in the first round three years running. Unfortunately, that's probably not enough of a boost to get other clubs interested in you.

Did you issue an ultimatum and then choose resign from your last job? That could be another reason. If you do that, the game takes it as though you have been sacked and cuts your reputation down accordingly.

You really need to win a first trophy to progress on to a bigger job. I imagine some of the second tier clubs have quite big reputations in Mexico and Brazil particularly, which might make life difficult.

C.

Sounds like your right mate.

I didn't use the ultimatum option, I just resigned straight off.

I've wasted so much time on this save though and have been playing it for AGES! Absolutely gutted.

Coincidence you wrote that last post.

I have just been offered job at America RN who are currently in the latter stages of the Third Division. Their a big club, particularly in their own state and definitely have the potential to be at a higher level.

Game on! :)

This is a big problem with the game at the moment. It seems to be more and more geared towards people who manage big clubs so only winning trophies counts.

I got Volta Redonda from Serie C to Serie A in three seasons, but could still only get Serie C jobs. Then I got relegated and won Serie B (my first trophy), and instantly got offered the job at Gimnasia La Plata.

You only had three years of experience and if you didn't win any trophies (just got the promotions) then that's why your reputation didn't rise enough for you to be offered top jobs.

It's very simple. If you want to get a top job, you need to win trophies to push your reputation up. It takes time.

I use the real life example of Darren Ferguson. He's had two promotions with Peterborough but I don't think a top flight club are going to come knocking just yet.

The quickest way to increase your reputation is obvious, win matches and trophies for your club. This is the only definite way to raise your manager reputation and allow you to move on to a bigger job.

In an ideal world you would receive a larger boost to your reputation if you were successful with a smaller club and exceeded the expectations set at the start of the season. However, in reality the reputation mechanics within FM are not quite advanced enough yet. I don't think they are too bad though and it is certainly possible to have a great career game. It takes patience and you need to spend more time building your first club up before attempting to make a leap up to manage a bigger team.

C.

I wasn't expecting to be offered top jobs, but surely Serie B teams would have wanted to employ me after getting promoted out of that division so quickly. It doesn't really make sense that getting relegated (bottom of the league) and then winning Serie B would improve my reputation so much.

Putting such an emphasis on trophies makes sense in the top division, but in the lower leagues it is just silly that a manager who finishes top with the promotion favourites gets a far bigger reputation boost than a manager who finishes second with the relegation favourites.

In the first versions of CM and CM Italy (these were the days when Cantona was the best one you could buy...) there was a points system that gave points for the games you won. If you were a small club(e.g. Lecce) you got more points when beating Inter Milan than the other way around. This was a way to show that you had a good season even if you didn't win any trophies at all. Now it's only trophies that will give you points in the Hall of Fame and that is correct in a way but maybe there should be some other way to increase the reputation too?

In the early days there was also something called "Performance of the week" that was handed out in recognition to teams that did something out of the ordinary, kind of fun in a way.

/JB

It does work like that though. You do win points for winning matches and getting manager awards. But obviously you get a lot more reputation points for winning trophies.

Check out Morridin's awesome thread about manager reputation here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=19596

Some of the conclusions he reaches:

Unsurprisingly you need to win stuff in order to progress your career in any reasonable amount of time. Testing has shown that while your reputation scores can increase a few hundred points from games, in a good season, the rep bonuses you get from winning stuff are many times higher than this.

You don't actually have to win to get a bonus. You would get a bonus if you got your team promoted or just reached the final of any given cup or tournament as well, but they would not be as high as for a win. Things that give you a bonus to rep are:

1. Getting your team promoted (Possibly qualifying for European cups as well, needs testing)

2. Winning the league

3. Either winning or losing a cup or tournament final (Winning gets you about twice the amount of rep as losing)

4. Winning Manager of the month pr Manager of the year. (Not that much, but every bit helps)

Well worth reading the whole thread as it gives some great tips for having a career game.

C.

This is a big problem with the game at the moment. It seems to be more and more geared towards people who manage big clubs so only winning trophies counts.

I got Volta Redonda from Serie C to Serie A in three seasons, but could still only get Serie C jobs. Then I got relegated and won Serie B (my first trophy), and instantly got offered the job at Gimnasia La Plata.

Interesting thread guys.

How on earth did you manage the above?! That is one hell of achievement! Was it from the start of the game? I find Serie C one of the toughest leagues in the whole game. It really is a jungle to get out of.

Interesting thread guys.

How on earth did you manage the above?! That is one hell of achievement! Was it from the start of the game? I find Serie C one of the toughest leagues in the whole game. It really is a jungle to get out of.

It was from the start. I was lucky enough to get out of Serie C at the first attempt. I suppose I must have bought well because my tactics were crap at that point.

Serie C is pretty tough, but once you get past the first groups stage you have a pretty good shot at promotion. I find the leagues with only one promotion place harder because I have trouble getting consistency out of my teams.

Archived