Under 18 transfers

I thought I read somewhere that FIFA was getting rid of the rule that players under the age of 18 had to stay in their country until they turned 18. Am I remembering that correctly and if so, is that something that will be included in the new FM?

I don't thin it's a FIFA rule. I think it depends on the different countries' laws.

It is a FIFA ruling that players under 18 can't transfer across national borders. Except when the countries are in the E.U., their parents move for none footballing reasons or the club that they're transferring too is within something like 100km of their current club.

I've not seen anything to say that FIFA are dropping this ruling. Until something turns up from FIFA, it's idle speculation.

its to stop africans and south americans under the age of 18 transfering to a club. Man uniteds poaching of italian talent can still continue because they are in the eu. Italian clubs can therefore have their players stolen in the future. Thank you mr platini for a half arsed attempt to stop underage transfers

its to stop africans and south americans under the age of 18 transfering to a club. Man uniteds poaching of italian talent can still continue because they are in the eu. Italian clubs can therefore have their players stolen in the future. Thank you mr platini for a half arsed attempt to stop underage transfers

What's Platini supposed to do? Overturn European law?

Sel, AC Milan, Real Madrid and others are just as free to do it as Man Utd are. Several of these nations have backdoors through this legislation that allows them to work around it because of former territories. Work permits make it harder for British clubs in general to get around some of the things like what Spain have regarding signing young south americans etc.

Don't worry though, if the Italian FA pay Blatter enough money, it will stop, Brazillians seem to be complaining about whats happening there, although it does generate a lot of income for brazilian clubs, but it does seem like Blatter is trying to make further changes to stop the poaching of talent.

the italian fa does have to do its job and allow players to sign contracts from a younger age, its currently 18 if im right. While the macheda scenario does strip lazio of a proper transfer fee, the club is big enough to want to keep him to retirement and make him a legend (as in the case of petrucci who was touted as the next totti at roma and would with their ages replaced him in the line-up like for like). Brazilian clubs rarely care about the players and only target a transfer fee.

I know that they cant overturn eu legislation but im going to tackle this from an australian point of view.

We are not eu, we have many migrants and people of migrant descent so eu passports is not a problem.

We have many high quality youngsters coming through the ranks, think ages 12-16. However our facilities are not that great, whether the club plays at national level or state level. In the case of harry kewell he went overseas from 17 to leeds. Australia is essentially a feeder country, relying on other leagues to take our talented youngsters and produce an end product. If a club from europe or even asia as one player recently came back from japan, was to take our youngster and produce a star, they now cannot because they must be 18 leaving behind critical developmental years.

My brother who is 15 in a few months could make something of himself if given a proper football education, the same of players in his team. I myself if given european treatment as well as many players in my year at school could have become something, however if luck doesnt shine on you and a scout from a club comes by, you go to sunday league clubs. This legislation stops players making something of themselves early in life. In most cases its not the clubs who betray players, but agents who will stop at nothing to make a dollar

Sorry if I'm missing something really obvious here but what has Platini got to do with this? He is the president of UEFA not FIFA.:confused:

basically

brazilian youngsters cant move abroad until they are 18

platini wants that in europe

:)

Ok now I understand (I think ;)). I actually think I agree with Mr Platini in this instant especially if the club selling the youngster benifits financially from this.

trekman, it has little to do with transfers and more to do with something along the macheda lines

no transfer fee was agreed, they offered his father a job as a gardner and his son came with him to england. He just happend to be a good footballer and so he joined their academy. While it can still happen within the confines of the eu (because of eu law) it stops non eu people from going under those circumstances to the eu

if that makes sense

Unfortunately, as mentioned elsewhere, Platini's plans often seem to contradict EU law and, therefore, he would need the agreement of every club and every player in the EU before he could bring them in to force. If he didnt have this agreement, someone is bound to sue (like Bosman) and get it overturned because it is against human rights/EU law or what not.

Platini talks the talk, but he doesnt have a leg to stand on, so he just comes accross as a nob

Unfortunately, as mentioned elsewhere, Platini's plans often seem to contradict EU law and, therefore, he would need the agreement of every club and every player in the EU before he could bring them in to force.

Surely even in the unlikely event that every player in the EU and all the clubs agreed, they still can't just ignore EU movement/employment laws?

Platini wants to control european football, like the major sports in the USA control their players and teams. In the States, the sports oranisations (NFL, MLB etc) have exemptions from the emplyments lays, which means the organisations can impose wages caps and inmpliment the draft systen etc.

Unfortunately for platini, the clubs and players in the top leagues in europe are not going to roll over and let him tickle their tummy.

Archived