Tempo and Time Wasting.

Playing my FM09 game, I have recently come across a good way of ensuring victory remains mine in tight games. Namely changing the tempo of my play and employing time-wasting more efectively. However I find it pain to have to go into my tactics, change the sliders then exit...then wait for them to be changed by the AI.

Surely a more effective way would be to have the sliders on the match screen, maybe hidden away just like the speed bar etc. It's just that while I understand it takes time to make a sub in real life and so it should in FM, to tell your winger to take the ball into the corner and waste time is something that a manager could pass on from the touchline!

Now I'm not for a moment suggesting that we should be able to "shout" instructions from the touchline as in some other management games, but I do think to have these sliders available quickly and the change in mentality to happen almost as soon as you change them, would make the game slightly, not much, but slightly more realistic.

Anyone agree?

Hmmm, yeah i agree, in principle. But just how many features can you incorporate into a game/programme, before it starts to be counteractive, or just too damn complicated?

Its a fine line between fun, and serious gaming, of course, serious gamers, will want every feature available after mastering a game, or you can quickly tire of it, but you/we also want to attract more people to the game, to keep its vibrancy, popularity, so it can make money and develop, as it already has, into the finest game ever made. should we maybe have a beginner, intermediate and expert games?

I dont think removing the time wasting and tempo sliders from the tactics screen and placing them into the main match screen can be seen as counteractive at all. I dont want complicated, I dont want too many options, these options are there anyway. I just think it's another way of increasing the already superb immersion.

I dont think removing the time wasting and tempo sliders from the tactics screen and placing them into the main match screen can be seen as counteractive at all. I dont want complicated, I dont want too many options, these options are there anyway. I just think it's another way of increasing the already superb immersion.

Yeah, i see what you mean mate, i wasn't trying to be awkward or unhelpful.

How about using 'hotkeys'? Or what ever you call 'um.

Let's you set up and save 5 different tactics, which you can change between with just the press of a button [in-game or on your keyboard].

I have 6 tactics saved for my Liverpool team. It gets rather annoying having to click 5-6 times just to change my tactics.

I'll like it, if it's just a simple CTRL + 1 for All out Attack, or CTRL + 2 for Defensive approach and soo on.

Let's you set up and save 5 different tactics, which you can change between with just the press of a button [in-game or on your keyboard].

I have 6 tactics saved for my Liverpool team. It gets rather annoying having to click 5-6 times just to change my tactics.

I'll like it, if it's just a simple CTRL + 1 for All out Attack, or CTRL + 2 for Defensive approach and soo on.

Fine idea, genius almost!!!

So simple yet so brilliant!

I would LOVE this to be implemented!

Ah, just like the real life managers use!

Ah, just like the real life managers use!

Actually it would be fairly realistic.

For example, if you switch to a defensive formation, you might shorten your passing, increase time wasting, decrease tempo, tuck the wingers back into midfield and tell the fullbacks not to get forward.

A real manager would simply say "See it through lads" or similar, and the team would do most of these things anyway. All your tactical plans would have been covered in training, and in the team talk, so they players would know what to do when told which plan to use.

It's more unrealistic, if you think about it, to go in and adjust things on the fly - footballers being footballers, can you really imagine all the players cohesively picking up an intricate change in tactics they've never used before?

Impossible to change tactics "on the fly", as the highlight you are seeing has to be played out. Simple game mechanics, I'm afraid. You'll have to wait until the highlight finishes.

SnakeXe- if you used saved tactics, you could do that anyway ;)

Surely it comes down to the match engine having to recalculate the effect fo the change on the result of the game. So you will never be able to impliment an instantaneous change in tactics.

Wasnt it said in another thread that at the start of the game, the ME calculates the result of that half of football based on tactics, players, team talk etc. and the result of that half is set unless you make a change.

Archived