What does "yet to see a return from the money spent this season" actually mean?

I started playing fm07 again, and at the end of the first season with Newcastle a tycoon took over and invested 100 million into the club, giving me 40 million to spend on transfers.

Now i am near the end of the season, have won the league cup and league and am about to play the champions league final. Silva of Valencia has just signed a new deal, and has a minimum release fee of 8m. I have 5.9m left in the warchest and have made a profit of 30 million in the season, despite upgrading facilities and the stadium. So i ask for more money for transfers (Arsenal and Chelsea already made bids for the player.)

The board come back with that stupid phrase, yet to see a return on the money spent.

Now 1) financially i have made a profit of 30m therefore the money spent has been returned. 2)in terms of achievements there has also been a return, seen as i finished 4 last season and have now won the league by 20+ points.

So could someone explain exactly what "yet to see a return is refering to?" Also has this problem been fixed in more recent games (i havn't played 09, and hated 08 so gave up almost immediatly).

Like i said i havn't played 09, but the whole board interaction has always been quite poor and unrealistic imo.

I agree, they should have put it much more clearly.

Only thing I can see you do is try your best to sell a fringe player or the guy Silva will be replacing?

This is a feature that gets on my nerves, well not the feature so much but that one line. I spent my budget on a striker, he came in played 23, scored 27. I'm quite sure that's a return on the money. There should be more depth to this, perhaps ultimately move towards a dialogue like that of the media interviews, depending on what you say, and your chairmans stats depends on the outcome. A long way off no doubt, but it'd be nice and more transparent as to how it works.

I agree, they should have put it much more clearly.

Only thing I can see you do is try your best to sell a fringe player or the guy Silva will be replacing?

I'm Newcastle, in the second season, i don't have fringe players :D Almost no squad dept, and, another realistic element of the game, it is not possible sell players you don't want to keep.

I find I can sell all the players that I don't want. I just change their status to "not needed" and transfer list them and someone always comes for either a transfer or a loan to buy.

I find I can sell all the players that I don't want. I just change their status to "not needed" and transfer list them and someone always comes for either a transfer or a loan to buy.

I also find it a lot easier to get rid of unwanted players now. There are still a few i struggle to move right away but eventually they attract bids, usually for a lower amount than i want, but the binus is getting them off the wage bill.

nni or baker, are you talking abount on fm09 or on fm07? I have had Babayaro on the transfer list for 30k and set as not needed since the start of the game and not have a single offer yet. The only players i have amanged to sell are Milner for 1.2m (worth 4.8 and played 20~ odd games with average above 7.50) and Bramble for 1m(worth 3m, played 32 with average rating of 7.40.

Of course i also get contined offers for my star players, like Owen and Martins, and all those offers are not only short of the asking price, but also short of their in-game value.

Another thing that annoys me is that a week later (still not the new season though) the board gave me 170m in transfer fees, unfortunatly this was exactly one day too late to sign the one player i actually wanted to get and needed nowhere near that much money to get.

I started playing fm07 again, and at the end of the first season with Newcastle a tycoon took over and invested 100 million into the club, giving me 40 million to spend on transfers.

Now i am near the end of the season, have won the league cup and league and am about to play the champions league final. Silva of Valencia has just signed a new deal, and has a minimum release fee of 8m. I have 5.9m left in the warchest and have made a profit of 30 million in the season, despite upgrading facilities and the stadium. So i ask for more money for transfers (Arsenal and Chelsea already made bids for the player.)

The board come back with that stupid phrase, yet to see a return on the money spent.

Now 1) financially i have made a profit of 30m therefore the money spent has been returned. 2)in terms of achievements there has also been a return, seen as i finished 4 last season and have now won the league by 20+ points.

So could someone explain exactly what "yet to see a return is refering to?" Also has this problem been fixed in more recent games (i havn't played 09, and hated 08 so gave up almost immediatly).

Yet to see a return means that your request does not satisfy competition triggers. You may be home and dry in the league but the game does not follow league progress or competition success in the same way you do.

If you ask for more money at the end dates of all competitions and receive a "no" answer then you cannot gain any more money this season. If you ask before this point the board will not recognise your progress in most competitions and if you ask after this point the board will think it the start of the new season.

You are a playing a game, with a set of rules governing all input. The board are not "stupid" or "ignorant" or "upset" or "tight fisted". The board is simply evaluating your request based upon competitions won and other factors at precisely defined points.

In other words, the board are stupidly programmed, and extremely unrealistic. Considering the financial status of the team and the fact i had won a cup, the league and was in the CL final, if i asked for a couple of millions extra irl they wouldn't even have had to think.

Archived