Wingers V WingBacks

Im not sure if its just me, if its the tactics I set, or just AI bias but there is a big difference how I defend and the AI defend.

Basically if my wingbacks are run at by opposing wingers, they kind of chase after them but the wingers always manage to get a cross in as my players walk after them.

However when my wingers attack opposing wing backs, the wingbacks stick to my wingers like glue so i'm barely able to cross the ball. My wingers even slowdown and wait for the wingbacks to catch up so that they can plant the ball into the defenders chest!

My wingers are set to forward run and attacking mentality, and both my wingers and wingbacks are world class so I cant understand it lol

Can anyone help me out here?

This has been brought up before. I've noticed it splits the community down the middle. Half say there's nothing wrong (mostly blame tactics and OI) other half think it's a bug in the ME.

I personally don't see it as being a bug. What I do see as a massive bug is players running down the by-line with ease then taking a shot. I don't mind it happening every now and then but the problem is I see it way too often.

Its probably not a bug, maybe even just the difference between putting a slider from 'here' to 'here'. Its just annoying. I could try and put forward runs and dribbling off in hope they cross earlier, but i dont want to do anything that might mean they wont play to thier best!

Quick Suggestion:

Forward Runs on means that your wingers will run forward when your team has the ball when they personally don't. This means that they are running directly towards the wing backs, who can mark them nicely when the ball arrives.

Turning forward runs off, but run with ball on will give them a yard or two of acceleration room before they get the backs, allowing them to jink round them.

Could work.....I've found it effective sometimes.

Yeah, I have my wingers' forward runs on the "Mixed" setting, no arrow either direction, and I don't feel like I'm seeing the problem you report.

I also have Run With Ball, Cross, and Cross From set to "Mixed"; also, Through Balls "On".

Why?

Because I want the winger to do what he thinks is on, not just blindly run at the wingback/fullback if there isn't space for it.

With those settings, I'll see him:

- Take it to the corner and try a cross

- Take it along the byline and try a shot

- Whip in an early cross about 25y from the byline

- Cut diagonally inside on the dribble (my fullback overlaps to the outside)

- Sizzle a through ball into the area for my striker

I don't feel like I know what he's going to do on any given possession, and any defender who "cheats" to take away one option or the other gives away a pretty wide open space for him to exploit on a different option.

Regarding defensive settings, have you tried explicit man-marking, e.g., not just "Man" but "Man: <left wing's name here>"? I use that, plus "Tight Marking: On", and do a pretty good job nullifying opposition wingers of a similar quality to my fullbacks.

If I come across a super stud, a C.Ronaldo game-changer, I may try it like so:

DL - Man: C.Ronaldo, Tight: Off

ML - Man: C.Ronaldo, Tight: On

That gives me a double-coverage, with the ML playing between CR and the ball and going for interceptions, and the DL staying goalside. It works a treat .. though with two men committed to one player, it leaves a gaping hole elsewhere that you'll have to solve, especially as teams with a CR-quality winger tend to have pretty phenomenal fullback/wingback types who like to get involved in the attack!

Yeah, I have my wingers' forward runs on the "Mixed" setting, no arrow either direction, and I don't feel like I'm seeing the problem you report.

I also have Run With Ball, Cross, and Cross From set to "Mixed"; also, Through Balls "On".

Why?

Because I want the winger to do what he thinks is on, not just blindly run at the wingback/fullback if there isn't space for it.

With those settings, I'll see him:

- Take it to the corner and try a cross

- Take it along the byline and try a shot

- Whip in an early cross about 25y from the byline

- Cut diagonally inside on the dribble (my fullback overlaps to the outside)

- Sizzle a through ball into the area for my striker

I don't feel like I know what he's going to do on any given possession, and any defender who "cheats" to take away one option or the other gives away a pretty wide open space for him to exploit on a different option.

Regarding defensive settings, have you tried explicit man-marking, e.g., not just "Man" but "Man: <left wing's name here>"? I use that, plus "Tight Marking: On", and do a pretty good job nullifying opposition wingers of a similar quality to my fullbacks.

If I come across a super stud, a C.Ronaldo game-changer, I may try it like so:

DL - Man: C.Ronaldo, Tight: Off

ML - Man: C.Ronaldo, Tight: On

That gives me a double-coverage, with the ML playing between CR and the ball and going for interceptions, and the DL staying goalside. It works a treat .. though with two men committed to one player, it leaves a gaping hole elsewhere that you'll have to solve, especially as teams with a CR-quality winger tend to have pretty phenomenal fullback/wingback types who like to get involved in the attack!

Wrong subforum I know, but if their fullback is also a problem, but their midfield isn't overly dominating, you could always set a DM / CM to mark ronaldo with tight on? I imagine it'd work as well.

If their midfield is also strong, you are just outclassed. :p

Heheh - yeah, we're coming in danger of me having to move us. :D

What I've taken to, if the fullbacks are class, is using the strikers to mark them - think of the way Wayne Rooney tracks back for United even when he's up front. On a change of possession, they release into the space between the oppo. central midfield, fullbacks, and centre backs, which works to provide a "hold up the ball" target.

I'm not entirely happy with it, but if I'm that outclassed, I'm that outclassed, and this gives me half a shot at keeping a clean sheet.

Archived