fm10 build up thread!!!

Anyone who wants to talk about the upcoming FM10 game, post in here! Whether it be what you want to see in the game, what you're going to do when you get the game, whatever! You can write absolutely anything you want to in here until the release of the game!

Thank You

Jamie

I think the screenshot that was leaked makes it look like it's a 990's skin type look, very outdated and a step back. the last CM had tabbed things like FM10 will. It's most certainly a step backwards.

I think the screenshot that was leaked makes it look like it's a 990's skin type look, very outdated and a step back. the last CM had tabbed things like FM10 will. It's most certainly a step backwards.

I disagree, I think it looks a lot more modern and rounded this time around. That screen is quite easy on my eyes and I look forward to using it.

All I want is for league reputation to increase and subsequently leagues to get better TV deals over time.

eg. In the SPL and we increase the coefficient to take the country up a few places, when the current TV deal runs out, a new one is given depedant on the coefficient and the reputation.

thoughts?

All I want is for league reputation to increase and subsequently leagues to get better TV deals over time.

eg. In the SPL and we increase the coefficient to take the country up a few places, when the current TV deal runs out, a new one is given depedant on the coefficient and the reputation.

thoughts?

Wait... league reputation doesn't change over time already?

Man, I remember when almost everything was static. No changing chairmen... Hell, I remember back before even stadiums could change. It made bringing up a lower-league minnow to European champion almost impossible. You'd always be stuck with a rubbish chairman and a rubbish stadium.

From what I know mate, no league reputation is static and doesn't adjust over time.

I'd just love to be able to take a club in the SPL and be able to compete financially with clubs in England, TV deals for each individual league would be the best way to do this.

For the first time ever, I feel no enthusiam for a new release of Football Manager. FM09 got boring really quickly for me. I found it way too hard and never really, truly found myself enjoying it. I won't be switching to Championship Manager or anything daft like that, though. I think I just won't be bothering with management sims anymore.

thoughts?

do you mean in theory, the Iranian or some other low league could one day be the best ? also the other way round and the English leagues could get worse and much less popular?

It takes a very long time for leagues to improve their rep in real life. Look at France - CL quarter finalists almost every season, and two finalists in recent years, but players still want to come to England. If Shaktar win the CL next year and for four years running, will that really improve the league rep? Or Spartak Moscow with Russia? Or Bohemians? AA Alkmaar?

It takes a very long time for leagues to improve their rep in real life. Look at France - CL quarter finalists almost every season, and two finalists in recent years, but players still want to come to England. If Shaktar win the CL next year and for four years running, will that really improve the league rep? Or Spartak Moscow with Russia? Or Bohemians? AA Alkmaar?

Indeed it does take a long time, but then in Football Manager some people do play very long games. It's not uncommon to see screenshots on these forums in 2030 or 2040. A lot can happen in 30 years. What was the status of the game in, say, the United States twenty or thirty years ago? What will it be twenty or thirty years from now?

Obviously having a lot of money would increase league reputation as well as more traditional footballing quality. It's the reason why Saudi Arabia has the tied-for-second highest league rep in Asia, just below Japan with 12, and tied with South Korea with 11 (and above Australia, Iran, and the U.A.E with 10).

All I'm saying is these things should be flexible and able to change over time. Success of teams from those leagues in international competitions would help. Money would help (as it has with the MLS, Qatar, and other leagues). I would say the bringing in of a major star (again as with the MLS) could potentially contribute to improving reputation but under the current FM system league reputation would prevent such a huge signing required to increase it (I still feel that money should be made more important - if someone offered, say, a Premiership youth player 100,000 a week (just for argument's sake) to play in Qatar, I reckon many of them would take it despite the league being of such low reputation.)

Currently, the Scottish top division has the exact same reputation (13) as the Belgian Pro League and the defunct Yugoslav First League (among other, cup competitions). Will those two divisions be considered equal to each other for the next 30 years, with neither one getting better or worse? It's impossible to say, but it certainly isn't impossible for their reputations to change.

(Sorry for wall of text)

do you mean in theory, the Iranian or some other low league could one day be the best ? also the other way round and the English leagues could get worse and much less popular?

Yes, exactly that mate. For example I could take over at Rangers in the SPL (which has a five year TV deal with Sky/ESPN. I play with Rangers for five seasons and at the end of the fifth season I get a news item saying something like.

"The Scottish Premier League are pleased to announce a new 4 year TV deal with BBC, the contract is valued at £200million, this means that each club will receive £4.16million per season from TV revenue."

Now, how do we determine the value of the contract? Simple, base it upon the leagues reputation and how it has grown or shrunk since the last TV deal was signed. So, really, the SPL could, over time become a more popular and more wealthy league than the EPL for example.

What we then need to think about is what factors would affect the leagues reputation?

Well there would be how the leagues teams perform in Europe, so effectively the country's coefficient.

Also the national teams performance in Euros and World Cups, so really the country's international ranking.

Other things like signing big name players who are past their best, like Rangers signing Maldini, bringing in a big name like that should raise the profile of the club and the league.

Obviously, this can work the other way round. So, if the EPL clubs had consistantly poor performances in Europe then naturally their reputation would decrease over time and if it was lower come the next time the TV deal was set to be renewed then they would get less money from the new TV deal.

I think this feature would add much more playability to FM, reason being, I often take over Rangers and withing 3 seasons I am performing really well in Europe and because I'm getting more money from this, the rest of the league can't get near me. So, if because of my performances in Europe, I helped increase the leagues reputation which then in turn gave the league a better TV deal, the game would become much more interesting as they would then have more cash to compete with me.

I'd love to hear from someone at SI if this was possible or what the reason was if it wasn't possible, indeed if they wanted to know more about my thoughts on it. If I haven't explained it properly then please ask me any questions, but I do think it would make FM a lot more playable for those who'd like to play a really long game at a club in a small league and eventually conquer with them.

They are very different in design. My advice: Don't knock it before you try it.

Very true Peter! I'm currently using the Klasa skin i love it!! the thing i like about it is the pictures and back ground pics, for my experiance it makes it seem more real life, the current white looking skin gives it a more cartoon feel to it and seems more like a game, which yes i know it is a game but every screen is same old with the white background..

ya never know i may like it.

I'm just hoping they put back the fun into the game.QUOTE]

This is all that need to be done. Make the game entertaining for those that want to pick up and play, and dont have the time to delve into tactics for home and away games.

Do people really care how fancy the "skin" looks?!

This is all that need to be done. Make the game entertaining for those that want to pick up and play, and dont have the time to delve into tactics for home and away games.

Not to knock you, but pick up and play is Pro Evo or FIFA...not Football Manager. The name says it all, and I would be saddened if the game lost any of it's depth or failed to grow deeper for FM10. That being said, if somehow, without sacrificing the game's richness, there could be a more streamlined mode, I wouldn't mind. It might inspire me to try my hand and one of the thousands of random teams in random leagues I would never consider otherwise.

Not to knock you, but pick up and play is Pro Evo or FIFA...not Football Manager. The name says it all, and I would be saddened if the game lost any of it's depth or failed to grow deeper for FM10. That being said, if somehow, without sacrificing the game's richness, there could be a more streamlined mode, I wouldn't mind. It might inspire me to try my hand and one of the thousands of random teams in random leagues I would never consider otherwise.

You see this initial comment misses the big point. FM Should be pick up and play, it should just have tactical depth too! I really hope that moving away from the slider tweak fest that FM became, we can have a game that universally appeals - though perfection is always a dream, and the new tactical interface will help no end.

I can understand your point, but I must disagree (unless I'm misunderstanding).

What does pick up and play mean, for you? Start a game, instantly jump into matches without having to learn about your team, their strengths, weaknesses? That's what I think of when I hear pick and play.

Management is the opposite - depth, and I think that's what makes this game rewarding. After sticking with my team for 7 seasons, I know it in and out, I know what works, what doesn't, what the players can do, etc. But to get there, I had to invest time. FM is a simulation, and sims are not quick and easy. There can never be a sim game with a universal appeal - some people want to work the guts of management, others just want a gloss. But I think achieving both would be tough.

I can understand your point, but I must disagree (unless I'm misunderstanding).

What does pick up and play mean, for you? Start a game, instantly jump into matches without having to learn about your team, their strengths, weaknesses? That's what I think of when I hear pick and play.

Management is the opposite - depth, and I think that's what makes this game rewarding. After sticking with my team for 7 seasons, I know it in and out, I know what works, what doesn't, what the players can do, etc. But to get there, I had to invest time. FM is a simulation, and sims are not quick and easy. There can never be a sim game with a universal appeal - some people want to work the guts of management, others just want a gloss. But I think achieving both would be tough.

In this context pick up & play means being able to use real life knowledge of football to influence your performance in the game from the start. It is clear that understanding the slider machinations and knowing of the corner bug will give better results than actual "management" knowledge. I would bet that if a top Prem Lge manager played FM for the first time they would be poor - and therein lies the problem, an ubergeek with a mind for theorums and statistical analysis will be much better naturally at "the game" - but would they win a trophy for their club in real life?

@tigerhgr...r - Okay. I agree with you about making it more intuitive. I guess we define "pick up and play" differently. You're right that sliders are a bit confusing, but finding a better workaround would be tough, IMO. Perhaps, for each slider setting, a short sentence or something to describe the general player tendencies? i.e. If you have Creative Freedom at the 17th out of 20 ticks to the right, some message would say "Player will deviate significantly from assigned role" or whatever. I think that a better solution to sliders exist, but that they were (or perhaps still are) the best way to cram a lot of tactical flexibility into a quick-glance interface. But there's always room for improvement.

Im looking forward to it personally. I barely played FM09 as it was waaay too slow for me. However i am buying a new PC in September and spending a fair amount on it which will hopefully comfortably process FM10.

I did read somewhere on here that it would take a monster PC to run FM quickly, is that right?

Considering my new PC is costing me over a grand and will be top notch il be disapointed if FM still runds at a snails pace.

It dont seem too long ago a season wouldnt take much more then a day, now it takes me a few hours just to do a month!

With four or five you'd be fine with any PC made in the last couple of years, unless you tend to run a lot of other programs in the background while playing FM. I get by perfectly fine with 7-8 leagues on a three year old laptop, dual core.

You what I just thought of that would be cool for a future FM (although I bet it's been mentioned somewhere before) - challenges included in the game. Thus, when beginning a new career, you can look at a list of challenges, with a short write-up about the situation, the goals, etc, and upon choosing a challenge the game would configure things for you (i.e. your manager experience, loaded leagues, DB size, etc). Basically it would be the same process as challenges on the forums here, but integrated into the game.

@tigerhgr...r - Okay. I agree with you about making it more intuitive. I guess we define "pick up and play" differently. You're right that sliders are a bit confusing, but finding a better workaround would be tough, IMO. Perhaps, for each slider setting, a short sentence or something to describe the general player tendencies? i.e. If you have Creative Freedom at the 17th out of 20 ticks to the right, some message would say "Player will deviate significantly from assigned role" or whatever. I think that a better solution to sliders exist, but that they were (or perhaps still are) the best way to cram a lot of tactical flexibility into a quick-glance interface. But there's always room for improvement.

Totally agree

Archived