[FM09] The Blue and White Army

ism-scfc

This is the story of a save I started when the full game was first released, It is currently at the 2017/2018 season and I will update to that point. Please feel free to discuss within this thread:thup:

Version: FM09

DB: 9.1.0

Edits: To coincide with real life moves at the time, a few loan deals involving Stockport County players were edited in, but no other edits were made

Background:

It was fifth time lucky. After four failed attempts in the nineties at the national stadium, Wembley finally bowed down to Stockport County Football Club. Ever present in the four previous visits, and now club manager, no-one was more relieved than Jim Gannon. An own goal from Nathan Stanton followed by strikes from Anthony Pilkington and Liam Dickinson had earned County a well deserved place in L1.

I appointed myself as manager of Stockport County on 8th July 2008 (game start date, ironically exactly 1 year before a real new manager would be appointed in real life) and had a look at the squad

It looked as follows:

The goalkeeper position was the immediate weakness, and so I immediatly sought to bring in Newcastle stopper Fraser Forster on a season-long loan. Seeing that the defence needed a bit of quality to play alongside Raynes, £35K was spent on signing hotly rated Kelvin Langmead from Shrewsbury Town. Third signing was midfielder Michael Noone, released by Millwall, and the Irishman would provide good midfield cover for limited wages.

The starting Eleven looked as follows (Cover in brackets)

GK - Fraser Forster (Owain Fon Williams)

DL - Michael Rose (Jim McNulty)

DR - Johnny Mullins (Luca Havern)

DC - Michael Raynes (James Tunnicliffe)

DC - Kelvin Langmead (Jim McNulty)

MC - Carl Baker (Michael Noone)

MC - Stephen Gleeson (Gary Dicker)

AMR - Anthony Pilkington (Leon McSweeney)

AML - Tommy Rowe (Carl Baker)

ST - Craig Davies (Matty McNeil)

ST - Peter Thompson (Darren Green)

I have noticed that some of the cover players aren't of the required standard, but no-one will take them and that will have to wait until their contracts expire (most are one year deals)

August 2008

Stockport County 0-2 Tranmere Rovers

We didn't turn up for the opening day, and the midfield duo of George O'Callaghan and Steve Jennings carved open the backbone of the team allowing one time County player, and still record signing Ian Moore to get a brace

Preston North End 3-1 Stockport County (Carling Cup 1st Round)

Deepdale has never been a happy hunting ground for the Hatters, some shocking defeats spring to memory upon mention of the place, and this wasn't going to stop the rot. PNE were 3 up and cruising before we had a shot on target, which actually found the net, a 20-yard drive from Craig Davies

Hartlepool United 2-2 Stockport County

Victoria Park is always a difficult place to go, and this was no different, new £100K signing from Linfield Peter Thompson was the difference, as he scored the first equaliser and went on to set up the second on a plate for Dom Blizzard

Stockport County 2-1 Bristol Rovers

After the disappointment of the opening day, the Edgeley Park crowd sprung into life as goals from Gary Dicker and Tommy Rowe either side of an equaliser by the man all stopfordians love to hate - Rickie Lambert, earned all three points. Lambert, Lambert, What's the score?

Oldham Athletic 3-5 Stockport County

A derby win is one thing, but the nature of this made it so much more special. Not only did we score 5 goals away from home, but we hit back from 2-0 down at the Interval. Man of the Match Stephen Gleeson ran the show, scoring 2 goals, the others coming from Craig Davies, Peter Thompson and substitute Matty McNeil

(A lot) More to Come

Nice start :thup: and i like your brief match summaries. There's something about them that just catch my eye despite being minimalistic...maybe the wording you use.

Just one question...are you still playing this save or have you finished it and will only be updating up until the year 2017/18?

September 2008

Stockport County 2-0 Rochdale (Johnstone's Paint Trophy Northern Section First Round)

The first time the sides had met since that fateful day in the Capital just over 3 months ago. It was Dale who took the lead on that occasion, but no such luck this time for the men spending their 37th consecutive year in the basement division of the Football League. Peter Thompson got both goals, as County dominated and took home the local bragging rights, as they had done every time since Rochdale triumphed 7-2 at Edgeley Park in 2007

Huddersfield Town 2-1 Stockport County

A run of three straight wins was brought to an abrupt end in West Yorkshire, as Gary Roberts and Andy Booth scored in the first ten minutes. Davies replied just after half time, but it was always the Terriers who were going to win the game

Stockport County 4-1 Leeds United

It was the big one, the first ever meeting between the two sides, and one man certainly turned up, and he was dressed in blue and white. A stunning hat-trick from Craig Davies sent the Blue and white army into raptures, and when Stephen Gleeson made it 4, the best individual result in my management career today was complete. The once mighty whites had been put firmly in their place by a small club from North Cheshire

Crewe Alexandra 0-3 Stockport County

How things can change in a week. From playing a club who even in their current lowly state are still one of the biggest in the country, to a Cheshire Derby at Gresty Road that may not appear in the same league to the untrained eye, it was just as important to those who flocked down the M6 in their thousands. Thankfully, the performance didn't change at all, Gleeson again questioning parent club Wolves eagerness to get rid of him with two more goals from midfield. Gary Dicker made it three to give the scoreline a particularly comfortable look

Stockport County 0-1 Milton Keynes Dons

Now how disappointing that was. Another former County player scores against us, this time in the form of Albie Wilbraham. Never mind, its nothing we're not used to

Nice start :thup: and i like your brief match summaries. There's something about them that just catch my eye despite being minimalistic...maybe the wording you use.

Just one question...are you still playing this save or have you finished it and will only be updating up until the year 2017/18?

I haven't played it in a while, but I think i'll probably go back to it after I've updated that far

And cheers for the compliments:thup:

Apologies for the slowness this morning, I'm trying to watch our cricketers batter the aussies at the same time

October 2008

Northampton Town 2-3 Stockport County

It was the struggling Cobblers who took the lead at Sixfields, but it didn't take long for County to reply, Gleeson, Davies and McNeil the scorers before Davies made the score respectable for the home side

Stockport County 3-0 Accrington Stanley (Johnstone's Paint Trophy Second Round)

This was just as easy as it should have been against the team at the foot of League Two. I have a lot of respect for Stanley, John Coleman is a very competent manager, and their slogan on the top of the tunnel at the Crown Ground, 'The club that wouldn't die' says a lot. However, they did die rather easily in this match, as it was only too easy for Gleeson, Davies and Thompson to send them back to mid-Lancashire having waved goodbye to their Wembley hopes.

Scunthorpe United 3-1 Stockport County

A cold midweek evening in North Lincolnshire, and a non-performance. Disappointing but understandable against a good Scunthorpe side, and I'm not going to let this bother me too much. Goal came from a scunthorpe player in fact, midfielder Sam Togwell putting past his own keeper Joe Murphy

Stockport County 4-0 Cheltenham Town

Yes, Cheltenham were distinctly average, but that was more due to the fact that we didn't let them play. This is the kind of performance you look back at to remind yourselves of how you can play. I expect more of a Martin Allen led side than to sit back and allow us to play, but in reality they couldn't cope with us. Goals from Thompson, Davies, Dicker and Baker

Stockport County 2-0 Southend United

Forget the play-offs, we're going up as champions! Fourth place Southend leave Edgeley Park without having had a shot, on or off target. Goals may be a concern, as Thompson and Dicker scored their decisive goals on 76 and 87 minutes respectively. Things are looking good, however!

Brighton and Hove Albion 3-0 Stockport County

Hmm, things have suddenly gone horribly wrong within 90 minutes on the south coast. County left their footballing hearts at home in Cheshire, as Albion ran all over them and deservedly humiliated them. Lets forget about this and move on eh?

Stockport County 2-3 Millwall

A brave, brave effort against a very big and very strong Millwall side. Unfortunately for the Hatters, Craig Davies and Gary Dicker's goals weren't quite enough and Millwall are definite genuine promotion contenders

November 2008:

New Signing: Stockport County swoop to re-sign club favourite Liam Dickinson on a 3-month loan deal from Derby County and he goes straight into the squad for today's trip to Peterborough

Peterborough United 3-4 Stockport County

The suupporters of Stockport County have seen the ability of Liam Dickinson all before. His second debut for the club however was even more special than before. Trailing 3-0 at half time the game looked dead and buried. Step in 'Dicko' and the game is rescued with a stunning hat-trick, before Stephen Gleeson wins it in the 94th minute to the delight of the travelling fans in the Moyes Terrace, without doubt the best away end in the football league

Stockport County 3-5 Oldham Athletic (Johnstone's Paint Trophy Quarter Final)

Its the reverse of the scoreline from the previous clash between the two sides at Boundary Park. Whatever the Latics players hit seemed to go in. County played their part as well, but despite two from Thompson and one from Dickinson, it just wasn't to be. Oh well, lets concentrate on the league

Stockport County 0-2 Tranmere Rovers (FA Cup 1st Round)

No, this is not a duplicate of the season's opening day, although it certainly felt like it. Tranmere frustrated us, and managed to get the two goals that mattered

Stockport County 1-2 Leicester City

The league leaders were given a tough match by play off chasing County, but a Matty Fryatt brace was enough for the Foxes to take all 3 points back to the Walkers. County struck first through Gary Dicker, who has displaced Anthony Pilkington in the team, but Fryatt stole the show

Carlisle United 3-3 Stockport County

For the five at the back it was a horror show at Brunton Park, although not as bad as the last visit in the league, when County were rock bottom of League 2 and a 6-0 defeat in cumbria followed. For the six players with attacking responsibilities, It was a good day at the office, with both strikers, Liam Dickinson and Peter Thompson, and midfielder Dominic Blizzard getting on the score sheet

Stockport County 0-5 Hereford United

Can it get any worse than this? An out of form top six team host an out of form bottom four team. The result - a 5-0 rout for the relegation candidates. Three of the Bulls goals were from thirty yards or more, all slipping through Big Fraser's fingers. The lowest point of the season for the Hatters. This downslide had to stop and quickly.

December 2008:

Swindon Town 3-2 Stockport County

An improvement from the Hereford Horror show, but it is points, and not performances that are desperately needed at the moment. Goals were from Liam Dickinson and Dominic Blizzard

Stockport County 1-0 Yeovil Town

Phew! That was needed. Liam Dickinson scores the only goal as County win their first game since Peterborough, over 6 weeks ago

Colchester United 3-3 Stockport County

An unwelcome return for the now trademark leaky defence in County's first ever game at Col U's shiny new stadium. Said leaky defence was saved by Thompson, McNeil and one of their own in Kelvin Langmead after the centre-half redeemed his mistake for the U's third by rising at the near post after a corner

Stockport County 1-0 Leyton Orient

Orient give County a late Christmas present by not turning up at Edgeley Park on Boxing day. They would have got away with it but for keeper Jamie Jones allowing Johnny Mullins strike to slip under his body and into the gaping net

January 2009:

Stockport County 0-1 Hartlepool United

Pools will not win many away games easier than this one. An 11th minute strike from James Brown proved the only goal as County failed to threaten Arran Lee-Barrett's goal

Tranmere Rovers 1-1 Stockport County

A Much improved performance on Merseyside as Liam Dickinson scores for County, but a Raynes error is duly punished by Ian Moore. The County fans will feel hard done by here though, and there are plenty of positives to take out of that

Walsall 1-2 Stockport County

Now performances like this is why we have play off ambitions. Jabo Ibehre gave the saddlers the lead, but Johnny Mullins and Gary Dicker earned County a much deserved three points

Bristol Rovers 1-0 Stockport County

Stuart Campbell the scorer of a goal just before half time to break County's impressive run of results

Stockport County 3-2 Huddersfield Town

An evening for midfielders at Edgeley Park as three of them - Gary Dicker followed by substitutes Dominic Blizzard and Anthony Pilkington grab the goals that sink Huddersfield

Leeds United 3-0 Stockport County

This was a very different Leeds side to the one that crumbled at Edgeley Park, and the new Leeds that was running away with the league, ran away with this match too thanks to goals from Jermaine Beckford, Andy Robinson and Luciano Becchio

Transfer News: Three signings made at the end of January - Central defender Alex John-Baptiste joined on loan from Blackpool, and the loan spells of Stephen Gleeson (from Wolves) and Liam Dickinson (from Derby) were extended until the end of the season

February 2009:

Stockport County 1-0 Crewe Alexandra

The victories are narrow, and the defeats comprehensive at the moment. But as long as those victories are there, we can worry about our shocking goal difference later

Milton Keynes Dons 1-2 Stockport County

We seem to have finally realised that we have the ability to mount a play off push here, we left it late but who's complaining when their right full back puts the ball past his own keeper after 92 minutes to gift County 2 points

Cheltenham Town 2-2 Stockport County

Against the same team who were beaten 4-0 in Sk3, the return trip in Gloucestershire was difficult, especially after falling behind, but we really should have won after taking the lead through Liam Dickinson and then Peter Thompson, and it was disappointing to drop 2 points to Damien Spencer at the end

Transfer News: Strong Gambian Defensive Midfielder Seyfo Soley joins on a free transfer after being released by Preston North End

Stockport County 5-0 Scunthorpe United

This is why we are play off chasers. We simply put to bed the disappointment of the previous Saturday, came out four days later and played another promotion chaser off the park. The goals flowed too - 2 for Thompson and an excellent hat trick for Dickinson - the second of his loan spell

Stockport County 3-0 Oldham Athletic

Eight goals in two games we've seen before, but not with two clean sheets in the process. Oldham couldn't deal with the Hatters in the third game between the teams this season, but the first that wasn't an 8 goal thriller

Stockport County 2-2 Northampton Town

A Two goal lead thrown away at Edgeley Park as Peter Thompson and then, with his first goal for the club, Seyfo Soley put the home side 2 up with an hour played, but Bayo Akinfenwa and Leon Constantine earned the cobblers a point

I'm a bit concerned as to the number of replies and views to this thread compared to other similar threads, so I'm going to suspend continuing this until I get a few more

Sorry if it seems like I'm moaning, but I've spent quite a bit of time on this and would like some feedback on the first (just short of a) season before continuing cheers:thup:

Personally i'm enjoying your thread and the style in which you're writing. Maybe it's the block of text that's putting people off commenting? It's your thread so you decide how to present it but as a suggestion, maybe incorporate a few screen shots to persuade people to read?

Personally i'm enjoying your thread and the style in which you're writing. Maybe it's the block of text that's putting people off commenting? It's your thread so you decide how to present it but as a suggestion, maybe incorporate a few screen shots to persuade people to read?

I would, but I don't have an awful lot of screenshots, as this is 8/9 years down the line and the game only retains match details for a few months. I'll go to the end of the season and then put in League tables etc.

Cheers though. Glad you're enjoying it:thup:

March 2009:

Southend United 4-2 Stockport County

Tuesday night away games are always difficult and this was no exeption. We were never too far off, but both scorers were full backs. I suppose there's nothing wrong with the goals coming from all over the park

Stockport County 2-1 Brighton and Hove Albion

Play off charge still on. It needs not too much short of a 100% record from here on in, but it is definately do-able. Both goals from Liam Dickinson

Stockport County 1-2 Peterborough United

Disappointment as another home game goes begging, Anthony Pilkington gave County the lead but Posh hit back with George Boyd and Craig Mackail-Smith. Bye-Bye to the play off hopes

Millwall 3-1 Stockport County

Another goal for Pilkington who is going through a purple patch, but Wall claim play off place with easy win

Leicester City 3-1 Stockport County

Far too easy for the Foxes who now look certain to march straight into the Championship. Peter Thompson with County's goal

Stockport County 1-1 Carlisle United

Second draw of the season between the teams as former Hatter Marc Bridge-Wilkinson gives the Cumbrians the lead, but Peter Thompson earns the home side a point

April 2009:

Hereford United 1-2 Stockport County

All memories of the Hereford horror show at Edgeley Park in November are diminished as Liam Dickinson and Peter Thompson earn the points

Stockport County 1-1 Swindon Town

A rare goal from the impressive workhorse Baker should really have earned all three points but for more defensive errors

Yeovil Town 1-2 Stockport County

County will be left to wonder what might have been if they hadn't brought Liam Dickinson back to the club in November as the big man gets another goal to earn victory, this time at Yeovil's Huish Park

Stockport County 3-1 Colchester United

Rickie isn't the only Mr. Lambert that we love to hate. Paul isn't really Flavour of the month in Stockport either. Yes, we had a lovely day at Wembley thanks Paul. That goal really did mean something in the end didn't it. (You won't get this unless you support Stockport or Wycombe - Basically after the play off game, Lambert said that Stephen Gleeson's goal 'meant nothing'. Well, it meant nothing more than we went to Wembley, they didn't and oh, it also got him the sack:D:D:D:D)

Leyton Orient 4-0 Stockport County

What better way to end your away matches for the season with a nice, comprehensive defeat? There's always next year

May 2009

Stockport County 2-1 Walsall

It had been a long, long time since Craig Davies last goal. But he signed off in style before he went back to Oldham with a goal with the last kick of the season. Goodbye Craig - We'll remember Leeds but otherwise you won't be missed

A good account there of the season's games and unlucky in missing out on the play offs. I enjoyed the minimalistic approach you took to each match report yet you still managed to portray the games in sufficient detail, in my opinion. Maybe with a few more screen shots it will become more appealing to others? (I understand that you can only go back several months, luckily i did my updates as i was playing).

Do keep with this thread, i'm enjoying following your progress :thup:

End of Season Report:

Owain Fon Williams C

Played 2 games, conceded 5 goals. Average, but wasn't given a chance

Fraser Forster B

Showed his class at times but was poor at others

Johnny Mullins B

Solid ever present full back

Michael Rose B

Wasn't an outstanding performer but did nothing wrong

Michael Raynes C-

Central defence wasn't the forté. They had a lot to do with two very attacking full backs but in front of a good keeper we shipped too many goals

Kelvin Langmead C-

Not the club's best signing. Came with a hot reputation, but alongside Raynes looked out of his depth

Jim McNulty B+

Used sparingly but effectively. Probably too good for cover, hence why he got more first team opportunities ahead of Langmead and Calamity Raynes towards the end

Gary Dicker A

Far from goal shy, all the midfield, but particularly Dicker chipped in

Dominic Blizzard B+

The loan signing of Gleeson hindered his chances, but even with limited appearances, his goal tally was right up there

Stephen Gleeson A+

Already on the Favoured Personnel List before the game started, Gleeson was a class act in midfield all season

Carl Baker A+

Talented winger who wears the club badge on his sleeve. Player of the Season for a reason

Michael Noone C+

Limited appearances, and never really stood out

Jason Taylor C

Too many midfielders for him to have a chance

Leon McSweeney B-

Only the one appearance as he was cover for the ever-reliable Baker

Anthony Pilkington B+

Class act and would have got more chances had it not been for competing with two quality wingers in Carl Baker and Tommy Rowe

Tommy Rowe A

Surprisingly goal shy season for Rowe, but 14 assists is impressive. A great left foot.

Peter Thompson A

Top scorer and deservedly so with 19 goals. Top season.

Liam Dickinson A+

Came in November and took the league by storm with a debut hattrick. Would have been top scorer and POTS had he played a full season

Craig Davies B

Started well, no-one will ever forget the leeds game, but couldn't handle the competition when Dickinson came in

Summer Transfer Dealings to come in next post

A good account there of the season's games and unlucky in missing out on the play offs. I enjoyed the minimalistic approach you took to each match report yet you still managed to portray the games in sufficient detail, in my opinion. Maybe with a few more screen shots it will become more appealing to others? (I understand that you can only go back several months, luckily i did my updates as i was playing).

Do keep with this thread, i'm enjoying following your progress :thup:

Cheers mate, I do appreciate it.

Any screenshots you could suggest?

Summer Clearout

24 players released after the first season as we need to push on upwards

These were the following:

Jason Astbury

Louis Barnes

Sam Barnes

Matty Bell

Luke Bradley

Sam Hare

Neil Holmes

Lee Jackson

Tim Lawton

Rob Molyneux

Rick Ratcliffe

Craig Roberts

Danny Rowe

Rob Vincent

Kyle Wilkie

Declan Edwards

Paul Ennis

Darren Green

Oli Johnson

Lloyd Rigby

Michael Noone

Gareth Owen

Leon McSweeney

Jason Taylor

They were replaced with:

Kyle Letheran (Barnsley)

Tom Heaton (Man Utd)

Luke Potter (Barnsley)

Juho Makela (Hearts)

Sam Baldock (MK Dons)

Scott Golbourne (Reading)

All on Free Transfers after being released by their clubs

A few more signings:

From the Trial Day, we picked up midfielder Kane Wills and striker Kane Louis, both released by Brighton and Hove Albion

Back for a third spell:

Liam Dickinson re-signs on a season-long loan after impressing last year. Delighted with this signing

Signed on recommendation

Ass Man Mark Schwarzer liked the look of Hamza Bencherif, so a 6-month loan deal followed

Squad looks like this going into the season:

GK: Tom Heaton (Owain Fon Williams)

DL: Scott Golbourne (Michael Rose)

DR: Johnny Mullins

DC: Michael Raynes (Kelvin Langmead)

DC: Luke Potter (James Tunnicliffe)

MC: Gary Dicker (Carl Baker)

MC: Dominic Blizzard (Seyfo Soley)

AMR: Carl Baker (Anthony Pilkington)

AML: Tommy Rowe (Carl Baker)

ST: Liam Dickinson (Sam Baldock)

ST: Peter Thompson (Juho Makela)

Loaned Out:

James Tunnicliffe - Northwich for 6 Months

James Vincent - Rotherham for 6 Months

Luca Havern - Hyde for Season

Best Eleven 2009:

besteleven2009parta.jpg

besteleven2009partb.jpg

Top Goalscorer - Peter Thompson/Liam Dickinson - 19

Top League Goalscorer - Liam Dickinson - 18

Most Goals in Match - Liam Dickinson - 3 (on 2 occasions)

Most Assists - Stephen Gleeson - 16

Highest Average Rating - Stephen Gleeson 7.19

Most Man of Match - Liam Dickinson - 4

Worst Discipline - Michael Rose - 4Y, 1R

Most League Apps - Michael Raynes - 125

Most League Goals - Liam Dickinson - 51

Youngest Player - Michael Noone - 18 years 238 days

Oldest Player - Matty McNeil - 32 years 292 days

Player of the Year - Carl Baker

Fastest Goal - Peter Thompson - 51 seconds v Oldham

Best youth player is central defender Lee Garner, who will be loaned out next season and then we'll assess him from there

Cheers mate, I do appreciate it.

Any screenshots you could suggest?

Maybe some links to player profiles? I'm not sure. Personally, i like the different styles of people's writing, some have pictures, some don't...that's what makes this forum an interesting read for me, as well as following people's progress.

Hamza Bencherif - Of course your Ass Man likes the look of him...he was groomed at Forest ;):D

Some nice signings made there, in particluarly Liam Dickinson (even if is is from Derby ;)) That's my philosophy on trying to climb the league's...look for players released by the big clubs. More often than not they have the quality to pull you out of the league. Your squad is looking pretty strong now so maybe a push for the play offs this year?

Archived