[FM09] SE Brazlândia - Bringing Glory to Brasília

dafuge

301136.png

Manager Profile

I've gone for Brazlândia, a club who plays in the Campeonato Brasiliense. They've got a 5000 all seater stadium and are predicted to finish 8th from 8 so this could be a tough season. My first job is going to be bringing in some players and staff because at the moment it is completely blank.

This is a story from a game played back in February using FM09 and the 9.3.0 patch. The rules and guidelines I have played by are set out in here: Razer82’s FM09 Small Club From A South American Nation Adventure Challenge

I should make it clear that this is an old game so there will not be any new updates to it, but hopefully it should make an interesting read for a few people.

SE Brazlândia - 2009 - Série C

Campeonato Brasiliense

League Table

League Positions Graph

This season was written off early as I had to play our first few games with just a handful of players. Things picked up once I had put a squad together and got them fit but it was too late to make any impact on the league.

Serie C

League Table

League Positions Graph

In a very tight league it was just a lack of consistency that meant we couldn't challenge at the top. At the half way point we looked good for a top two spot so it was a surprise to escape relegation on the last day of the season.

Squad

Not a bad squad here although there are a few improvements that could be made. I'm finding the tactics a little odd in this league, every Brazilian club plays a narrow system with 2 DMs and 2 CMs, which looks odd when I put out my 4-4-2 diamond with attacking wingers against them. It seems to work for and against me at times, hopefully I can turn this to my advantage.

Transfers

All free transfers picked up at the start of the season

Star Player

He scored nearly all his goals in the state championship and spent much of Serie C injured which didn't help our league campaign.

Career Overview

Season   League          State Finish    League Finish         Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009     Serie C         4th             6th (first stage)

Next Season

My finances have taken a bit of a battering so I may have to sell a few players and replace them. My aim for the league is to make it to stage 2 of Serie C. I've also got to get used to this league system, I got a bit caught out when my assistant didn't arrange any friendlies in the gap between the two leagues.

SE Brazlândia - 2010 - Série C

Campeonato Brasiliense

League Table

League Positions Graph

Much better than lasts season as we maintained a title challenge throughout. We couldn't have come much closer, on the final day we had to better Brasiliense's result, as they were held 0-0, we were also held to 0-0. Finishing second has meant we have qualified for next year's Copa do Brasil, which should be interesting.

Serie C

League Table

League Positions Graph

A crazy season which saw us jump from 5th to 1st at the last minute, only to lose top spot in the last game when held to another draw. At least we made it throught o the second stage this year.

2nd Stage

Things went badly, in our first three games we conceded a late goal to lose 2-1, gave away a penalty to lose 2-1 then gave away another penalty to draw 1-1.

Squad

We have two strikers who look on form now but we are still suffering with injuries at key times in the season.

Transfers

Some good signings this year with a bit of experience brought in, along with a couple of Uruguayans with a bit of potential.

Star Player

He ran the show from midfield, when he was out injured (which was quite a lot) we just weren't the same team.

Career Overview

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010     Serie C         2nd             4th (2nd stage)

Next Season

Finances are looking awful with over £500k in debt, hopefully a few bids will come in for some players.

SE Brazlândia - 2011 - Série C

Campeonato Brasiliense

League Table

League Positions Graph

Our first ever trophy as we went one better than last season to win the league.

Série C

League Table

League Positions Graph

After an improvement in the state championship, we dropped a place in the league which meant we missed out on the second stage. Dropped points in draws against some of the weaker teams cost us this season, when you are playing just 14 games that hits you hard.

Copa do Brasil

Round 1

Round 2

It was an excellent penalties win over Serie B side Criciuma but high flying Serie B side Santo Andre were just too much for us, hammering us 4-0 on aggregate.

Squad

Injuries, suspensions and international duty all contributed to make sure I never had my full squad to pick from. With everyone fit and available I think we could win the league but we just don't have the quality in depth to cope with this many players missing.

Transfers

Some decent free transfers were brought in and the first players are starting to be sold to help ease the debt.

Star Player

It wasn't his best season but he was just about the best player in my squad this year.

Career Overview

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011     Serie C         1st             3rd (first stage)     Campeonato Brasiliense champions

Next Season

The debt is getting bad at around £650k so I will be accepting any decent bids I can get for my players. Despite this, I'm going to invest in some new non playing staff in the hope of improving our fortunes on the pitch.

Once again, the main aim will be to qualify for the second stage of the league.

SE Brazlândia - 2012 - Série C

Campeonato Brasiliense

League Table

This one had a thrilling finish as we went into the last game with Gama equal on points with the winner taking the title. We won 2-0 to retain our title.

Série C

First Stage

In an equally thrilling finish to the Serie C first stage we went into the final game needing a win to finish top, unfortunately we could only draw 2-2.

Second Stage

This was surprisingly easy as we strolled the league.

Third Stage

Apart from the two defeats to Remo this was easy, the good results against the other teams was enough for us to finish second.

Final Stage

A real surprise here as we dominated the league thanks to Remo losing five games with a 2-1 scoreline. We had qualified for promotion with four games left but held on and went for the title.

Copa do Brasil

Nothing interesting at all, got beaten 4-1 on aggregate by Criciuma.

Squad

With a host of new coaches and no real injury worries the squad was strong enough this season.

Transfers

For the first time I ignored the debt and went big on the transfers, bringing in a few hot prospects to bolster the squad.

Star Player

He had an immense season scoring for fun and with him staying clear of injury this season helped us on our way to success.

Career Overview

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011     Serie C         1st             3rd (first stage)     Campeonato Brasiliense champions
2012     Serie C         1st             1st (final stage)     Campeonato Brasiliense and Serie C champions

Next Season

In the new league it is just a case of staying there, if I can improve the disastrous finances that would be a bonus.

SE Brazlândia - 2013 - Série B

Campeonato Brasiliense

League Table

League Positions Graph

Dominated this and managed to go the season unbeaten to retain the title again.

Série B

League Table

League Positions Graph

I really wasn't expecting this but we were able to keep ourselves at the top thanks to the competitive nature of this league. Even when we went through a dodgy patch (which included this), the teams around us all dropped points as well. I honestly think parts of Serie C were harder than this.

Copa do Brasil

Another uneventful year as we lost 5-3 in the second round to Serie A side Vitoria.

Squad

Still struggling to fill a few players and cover the odd injury crisis but the youngsters that are coming through are getting a few games.

Transfers

The players that were brought in were mostly for the future and didn't really make an impact but with the unexpected promotion they might not get a chance anyway.

Star Player

He literally ran the show on his own once again, scoring from just about every opportunity. I'm not sure he will quite be up to the standard of Serie A so this could be the last of his crazy scoring seasons.

Career Overview

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012     Serie C         1st             1st (final stage)     Campeonato Brasiliense and Serie C champions
2013     Serie B         1st             3rd                   Campeonato Brasiliense champions, promoted

Next Season

Hard to tell really, the finances are looking good and we are going into a new league so I think the best I can hope for is to find some good young players and avoid relegation.

SE Brazlândia - 2014 - Série A

Campeonato Brasiliense

League Table

League Positions Graph

Another dominant year, the only defeat was a bizarre 4-0 thrashing by Brasiliense.

Série A

League Table

League Positions Graph

Despite a winning start it turned out to be a straight relegation battle with Vasco to avoid being the only decent team to go down. We could never challenge the top teams an relied on picking up the odd scrappy win here and there against the weaker teams but the end to the season was thrilling. With just three games left we were in a safe position, but only by one point. We then lost our next two games both 2-1, while Vasco picked up two draws to send us into the relegation zone. For some strange reason, Vasco played their last game of the season the day before us, losing 2-1. This meant just a draw would see us safe. With teh added incentive, we played our best football of the season, thumping Atletico Paranaense 5-0.

Copa do Brasil

Yet another uneventful year as we lost in the second round to Corinthians. We though we had a chance as we beat them 3-1 in the first leg but they then thumped us 6-1 away.

Squad

The squad is going to take a lot of work for next season as there are a few unhappy players and a few weak positions, I imagine there will be a few sold and bought again.

Transfers

M big moves in the transfer market this year didn't really pay off. I swapped unhappy quality players for players with high potential who weren't really ready for Serie A.

Star Player

The strikers didn't really hit form but this winger had a decent time in Serie A.

Career Overview

2013     Serie B         1st             3rd                   Campeonato Brasiliense champions, promoted
2014     Serie A         1st             16th                  Campeonato Brasiliense champions

Next Season

After the scare this year my aim is simple, stay in Serie A.

SE Brazlândia - 2015 - Série A

Campeonato Brasiliense

League Table

League Positions Graph

Just the one loss again as we dominated the league. I played a large number of the youngsters in this league, often putting out a team of under 21s.

Série A

League Table

League Positions Graph

Very similar to last season as we we poor, but not as poor as the four teams below us. Things were slightly easier for us this year as we didn't ever drop into the relegation zone although we struggled to compete with a lot of the teams.

Copa do Brasil

Usual story as we crashed out in the second round for the third consecutive year, Gremio beat us 5-2 over the two legs.

Squad

You can see the focus on youth here, which is why they may be struggling. Hopefully over the next few years they will develop into quality players. I desperately need my strikers to start scoring.

Transfers

Unhappy players were let go and young stars were brought in, so the club should be in a good position financially for the future. Selling Deon was probably a mistake, none of the other strikers have been able to match his goalscoring record.

Star Player

No real stand out players but my captain had a pretty solid season at centre back.

Career Overview

2014     Serie A         1st             16th                  Campeonato Brasiliense champions
2015     Serie A         1st             16th                  Campeonato Brasiliense champions

Next Season

The takeover talks have been going on for a year now, with constant talk of a promotion from within. Hopefully they will stick by me and allow me to bring my young stars to the top.

SE Brazlândia - 2016 - Série A

Campeonato Brasiliense

League Table

League Positions Graph

It is getting too easy now, I think I might give the youth the full season next year.

Série A

League Table

League Positions Graph

A massive improvement on previous seasons as we finally showed we were capable of competing in this league.

Copa do Brasil

Finally we had a good season in this competition, although we lost to Sao Paulo in the semi finals.

Squad

They are still young and can only improve, things are looking bright.

Transfers

I was little more aggressive in the transfer market this year and the additions up front really made the difference.

Star Player

The record £4m signing was key to our season.

Career Overview

2015     Serie A         1st             16th                  Campeonato Brasiliense champions
2016     Serie A         1st             9th                   Campeonato Brasiliense champions

Next Season

Hopefully we can build on this and push up the table.

SE Brazlândia - 2017 - Série A

Campeonato Brasiliense

League Table

Despite fielding weak sides, we still romped it without conceding a goal. Just a shame we had a 0-0 draw early on.

Série A

League Table

League Positions Graph

Another fantastic improvement in the league but we couldn't quite keep up with the top teams.

Copa do Brasil

1st round
Sampaio Correa 1-3 Brazlandia
Brazlandia     2-1 Sampaio Correa

2nd round
Brazlandia     1-1 Corinthians
Corinthians    0-0 Brazlandia

Yet another poor season in the cup after reaching the semi final last year.

Copa Nissan Sudamericana

1st round
Brazlandia       1-0 Atletico Mineiro
Atletico Mineiro 2-1 Brazlandia

2nd round
America (Mex)    2-1 Brazlandia
Brazlandia       2-0 America (Mex)

Quarter final
Chivas           1-1 Brazlandia
Brazlandia       4-3 Chivas

Semi final
Brazlandia       4-1 Santos
Santos           1-1 Brazlandia

Final
River            3-2 Brazlandia
Brazlandia       2-0 River (AET)

A quite amazing cup run as we scraped through every match apart from the semi final. The final was quite amazing as River suffered an attack of injuries which left them with nine men, which made it impossible for them to reply to our goal in extra time.

Squad

Investing in youth is starting to pay off now as the players get a bit older, I'm also starting to be able to keep hold of my players for longer which is helping. The one annoying thing about having all these youngsters is they keep on disappearing for international duty and I keep forgetting to withdraw them, so I've played a few matches with half a team.

Transfers

Sold off a few unwanted players and replaced them with talented youngsters to back up the first team. There were two big transfers in though:

William - looked like the hottest prospect in Brazil and already good enough to go straight into the first team, so I broke the transfer record for him.

Igor - so pleased to bring him back to the club, he got unhappy and left at the start of the season but his minimum release clause and a massive contract were enough for me to bring him back.

Annoyingly, both players were cup tied for the league games so they only appeared in the Copa Sudamericana, which meant my cup team was a lot stronger than my league team.

Star Player

My star striker had another good season, although he was rested for most of the state championship.

Career Overview

2011     Serie C         1st             3rd (first stage)     State champions
2012     Serie C         1st             1st (final stage)     State and Serie C champions
2013     Serie B         1st             3rd                   State champions, promoted
2014     Serie A         1st             16th                  State champions
2015     Serie A         1st             16th                  State champions
2016     Serie A         1st             9th                   State champions
2017     Serie A         1st             6th                   State champions, Copa Sudamericana champions

Next Season

The main aim is to break into the top 4/5 to qualify for the Copa Libertadores.

SE Brazlândia - 2018 - Série A

Campeonato Brasiliense

League Table

This makes it three years in a row that I have been unbeaten and failed to win just the one single game. Will next year be perfect?

Série A

League Table

League Positions Graph

This was a fantastic achievement to finish 2nd after finishing 6th last year. If we were tighter the defence and stopped losing silly matches we might have given Cruzeiro a bit more of a challenge. We went inot teh final game of the season guaranteed 2nd place, so I put out a weak team and managed to lose to the team bottom of the table 3-0.

Copa do Brasil

Results

I'm still yet to reach a final in this competition.

Copa Nissan Sudamericana

Results

After winning this competition last year this result came as a massive shock. In the first leg, which was a fairly even game, mid table Coritiba took all their chances and gave us too much of a hill to climb in the second leg. Amazingly they carried on their luck all the way to the semi final.

Recopa VISA Sudamericana

1st leg - a crazy match which saw us score three penalties and River have one turned down and get a man sent off. I promise there were no illegal payments to the referee.

2nd leg - River came back at us and we held on and killed the game off as much as possible to secure the win.

Squad

The squad is really getting there now, with a lot of quality all over the place. A new goalie os the one position I am struggling with, although there's a couple of youngsters lined up.

Transfers

Same as most seasons, the unhappy players were sold for good prices and replaced with cheap youngsters. There were two exceptions:

Muller - signed as a replacement for Ricardo, turns out he's even better already.

Diego - a big money proven quality player, pity I missed that deadline again so he spent the season complaining about not playing.

Star Player

His best season yet, he tore the league apart and won the top goalscorer with ease.

Career Overview

2012     Serie C         1st             1st (final stage)     State and Serie C champions
2013     Serie B         1st             3rd                   State champions, promoted
2017     Serie A         1st             6th                   State champions, Copa Sudamericana champions
2017     Serie A         1st             2nd                   State champions, Recopa Sudamericana winners

Next Season

Tough to decide on my main target, but a good run in the Libertadores would be good. There's always a chance of the Serie A title, but I think that will be at least a couple more years before I get close to that. A new stadium would also be handy, but again, it will take a few more years to get the attendances up.

SE Brazlândia - 2019 - Série A

Campeonato Brasiliense

League Table

Finally we did the perfect season.

Série A

League Table

League Positions Graph

We bridged the gap to Cruzeiro but still fell a bit short. It looked like there was going to be a grandstand finish as we faced them at home in our final match, but sadly they kept up some great form which meant they were four points clear going into the final game, which ended 2-2/

Copa Santander Libertadores

Group H

I was loving the draw, until Internacional popped out as the 4th seeded team. The two Brazilian clubs qualified with ease.

Results

After a narrow victory over San Lorenzo in the 2nd round, we faced our title rivals Cruzeiro in the quarter finals. They were pretty lucky and managed to knock us out on away goals.

Squad

As you can probably see, I've got a bit of a problem. Nearly all of my decent players want to leave, the club just isn't big enough to hold on to them. However, they all have a few years left on their contracts so I'm going to keep hold of the unhappy players for a bit to see if I can change their minds.

Transfers

A few players out and a few in, the major signings were Lucas, Luciano, Cicero and Pereira.

Star Player

Him again. I'm wondering whether he will ever get a call up to the full Brazil team.

Career Overview

2018     Serie A         1st             2nd                   State champions, Recopa Sudamericana winners
2019     Serie A         1st             2nd                   State champions

Next Season

I'm hopeful we can do the title and Libertadores double next season, although it will be tough going.

SE Brazlândia - 2020 - Série A

Campeonato Brasiliense

League Table

Another dominant season, although we went back to our usual one slip up of the season.

Campeonato Brasiliero Série A

League Table

League Positions Graph

As Cruzeiro failed to live up to their expectations we took over as the number one club in Brazil. A couple of clubs chased us throughout the season but we were scoring goals and not conceding too many which meant we were able to hold on to the top spot for nearly the entire season.

Copa Santander Libertadores

Colo Colo  0-0 Brazlandia
Brazlandia 2-0 Cobreloa
Caracas    1-2 Brazlandia
Brazlandia 4-0 Caracas
Cobreloa   1-4 Brazlandia
Brazlandia 2-0 Colo Colo

These results meant we topped the table with ease, although we needed the win in the last game to make sure we finished top.

Second round leg 1 - a bizarre result where we really made the most of our chances against quality opposition.

Second round leg 2 - after the first result I always felt confident and took it a little bit easy.

Quarter final leg 1 - a great away win, but had we taken more of our chnaces it could have been more.

Quarter final leg 2 - this was more like it.

Semi final leg 1 - the dreaded Brazilian opposition, they hammered us and we were lucky to get away with such a narrow scoreline.

Semi final leg 2 - we left it late in this reversal of the first leg where we hammered them.

Final leg 1 - a narrow win in a game that could have gone either way.

Final leg 2 - could this have been more dramatic? A late equaliser against our great rivals, then a penalty shootout win.

FIFA Club World Cup

It was quite nice to compete in this in the same season as winning the Libertadores.

Semi Final - this was our third win against them this season to set up a final against the best from Europe.

Final - perhaps not the big name I was hoping for but we did our best against them, sadly it was not enough as we conceded a late goal.

Squad - the squad is full of quality players but there are a lot of issues, players hate each other and want to move to bigger clubs. This is my fault as I have kept all the quality players at the club against their will in an attempt to win the league, which has worked.

Transfers - a few players were sold just to make sure we had some money in the bank as we were getting a bit short.

Since this will be my final season, here's a run down on the double winning squad:

Santos - probably my weakest position, just can't find anyone better

Hubert Werner - young prospect, should replce Santos soon

Ricardo - youth product, versatile and good backup

Diego - big money signing (£6.75m), wants to join a bigger club

Igor - brought back to the club for a second stint, wants to join a bigger club

Adilson - versatile backup

Luis Ricardo - signed as a 16 year old, solid right back

Luciano - brought back to the club for a second stint, wants to join a bigger club

Douglas - youth product, used to be an automatic first choice, wants a new challenge

William - captain, dislikes three players

Silva - wonderkid bought for £4.4m, dislikes four players

Fabricio - recently became a wonderkid, been at the club a while, wants to leave

Guilherme - vice captain, been at the club a while, wants to leave

Muller - quality winger, wants to join a bigger club

Pereira - wonderkid bought for £3.1m, dislikes four players

Ailson - second stint at the club, club legend, scorer of 183 goals

Fabio - good solid second striker

Cleucimar - had a great season, challenging Fabio for a place in the team

Career Overview

2018     Serie A         1st             2nd                   State champions, Recopa Sudamericana winners
2019     Serie A         1st             2nd                   State champions
2020     Serie A         1st             1st                   State, Serie A and Copa Libertadores champions

• 2 months later...

Before anyone gets confused here, I've copied these updates from another thread which is why the dates go back to February.

It was a fairly short career but I've got a couple of much longer ones to post at some point.

Great career dafuge. Loving all the wonderkids in your team, it's only a matter of time until wonderkids rule the world.

I love signing them, in my current game I have 13 current or former wonderkids in my squad :cool:

Great thread dafuge :thup: And a good job in your rise to the top in Brazil. Unlucky in the Fifa Club World Cup :thdn:

Enjoyed the read. It's always nice to read about a career in a country you're not familiar with and i shall be giving Brazil some serious consideration in FM10.

Enjoyed the read. It's always nice to read about a career in a country you're not familiar with and i shall be giving Brazil some serious consideration in FM10.

It can be an enjoyable place to manage, especially in the lower leagues which are pretty crazy.

I didn't really enjoy the later years much but had my aims been slightly longer term I may have overcome the problems I was having with the increased reputation of my club over time.

Archived