2 Europa League/Uefa Cup questions

1. If I understand correctly, the Europa league (which starts this season) has a different format to to the UEFA Cup - my question is this shown in FM after 2009 and also, what exactly is different about the Europa league as a side question.

2. If a team wins the UEFA Cup/Europa League but does not finish in a continental qualification position in their league - do they qualify for next years competition anyway? Or is that only for the Champions League?

1. Yes it is shown in FM. The main difference is that there are 4 qualifying rounds instead of 2 quali rounds and the 1st round, and at the group stage there are 12 groups of 4, instead of 8 of 5.

2. Iirc the winners of the UEFA Cup should qualify.

1) Yes, I believe it is in FM09. You can find out all about how it works here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_League

2) Go to the link above and look at the qualification section.

Essentially, this is the answer:

If the previous UEFA Cup title-holders are not eligible to take part in either of the current UEFA club competitions (UEFA Champions League or UEFA Cup) by virtue of their domestic form, the UEFA Administration may, at the request of the association of the club concerned, admit this club to the current UEFA Cup competition. Its participation will not be at the expense of the contingent of its association.

Google and Wikipedia are your friends. ;)

C.

Archived