Plug and play tactics.

I started a thread about this in the tactics section but decided to try it here as it is open to debate and i want more opinions on it.

So, are these highly rated tactics actually as good as people think they are, or, are they just geared towards alot of attacking football and winning alot of corners for the corner exploit.

Seems like all the highly rated plug and play tactics use the corner exploit.

I used one of these tactics and took out the corner exploit after a season to see what would happen, i went from winning 80% of my games and being ubeatable to drawing 6 games in 7 and never scoring more than one goal, and i have world class strikers.

• 4 weeks later...
Nah mate this should be in the tactics forum not the general that why you dont have any replies

I think very general tactics discussion is allowed as long as we don't stray into overly-specific territory.

Personally, I find there are no unbeatable tactics in FM09. I have tried a few from the tactics forum, but they rarely work with the corner exploit turned off. You can pick any default tactic and set up the corner bug and still win 80% of your games, which for me is just no fun. I use a variation of it, but take away the "challenge keeper" option and I still do okay without getting silly.

Each release I build my tactics up using the defaults as a foundation and build from there. You also have to tweak slightly depending on your players. EG, I do like have a strong and a fast striker up front, but if I'm down to two fast strikers, there is no point in having one of them play the strong man role... I just play narrower and have more thru-balls (dang, is that getting too specific? Okay, I'll stop there).

In previous versions I could go whole seasons unbeaten once I've got a decent squad, and this is one area that I think FM09 is a huge improvement. A good squad and a decent tactic in 08 meant you KNEW that next season you'd probably win everything, but with 09 you really have to think about your squad, your tactics, all manner of things. Sure, press conferences and sulky stars have too much effect on performances, but I expect that to be improved for the next version... whenever that may be.

Archived