Twittergate (aka FM2010 work in progress screenshot)

• SI Staff

As I've seen from other posts on the forum, some of you have seen the FM2010 screenshot that got posted on twitter late last night. That'll trust me to experiment with twitpix late at night after a couple of vodkas...

There's no way for me to take it down that I can find so it's staying up, and it just goes to show the power of Twitter that it made it back onto the forums ;)

Oh well, it's out there now, and it's my own fault, but also good for people to be able to see something, even though the new GUI is very much work in progress at the moment.

We're not going to be announcing anything about FM2010 until mid August, as that's the time when we should be "feature complete" and ready for proper screenshots. So speculate away, as you are already doing, but please understand that there will be no official word til then, or questions answered about the screenshot that is out there.

One other thing whilst I've got peoples attention. Again, this is something that I'll go into more detail on towards the end of next month at a guess, but we've recently restructured our QA team at SI to make it work better for us now that we're a larger studio (we currently have 60 full time members of the team here at SI, which has grown from 35 3 years ago).

As part of that restructure, Neil Brock is now working as a link between the forums and the studio, mainly from a QA point of view. This does not mean customer service, which is still provided by SEGA via their help system, but it means that suggestions will get logged into our features database, bug reporting from the forums to the dev team will be a lot smoother and informed, and things like FAQ's for FM2010 and beyond will be maintained by a team of people including Neil and SEGA's customer services team, so you should, in theory, always be able to find a solution to any common problem.

It should also lead to a few more mods, as Neil will be heading up the moderation of the forums, and over the coming months, new forum rules to try and make the forums a bit more friendly again, although it has been noted that it's been getting much better on here over the last few months.

What we would like is a way to get the forums back to the glory days when a lot of the dev team were regularly posting on here, providing feedback and getting feedback, which has been lost over the last couple of years for lots of different reasons. It's going to take time and patience, but we're confident that we'll get there.

Anyway, that's it for now. I'm going to go back into hiding, waiting for Sonic the Hedgehog to come and tell me off for the screenshot getting out there, and I'll be back mid next month with details of our next games.

If you are on Twitter, and not already following us, we can be found @si_games - it will be a good place to find out when we do post more info on FM2010, as we'll be tweeting links to stuff as it goes live. If you're interested in my ramblings (although I promise that there will be no more drunken screenshots being posted!) you can find me @milessi

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon it was released on purpose, just to seem to hype it up then for a official post from The Man himself to say Mid-august. To stop all the nonsense posts & threads. Conspiracy is rife with this one...

I reckon it was released on purpose, just to seem to hype it up then for a official post from The Man himself to say Mid-august. To stop all the nonsense posts & threads. Conspiracy is rife with this one...

Conspiracy theories start here. I suspect Sonic deliberately leaked it... :cool:

• SI Staff

You've been watching far too much X-files....

Miles : do you have someone new on the UI "department" ? No disrespect to former designers but this style looks ... well ... different from the old stuff. Much more clear/clean looking ... it kind of reminds me of Matt(Three|Four .. etc) skins. Great change, imo.

What we would like is a way to get the forums back to the glory days when a lot of the dev team were regularly posting on here, providing feedback and getting feedback, which has been lost over the last couple of years for lots of different reasons. It's going to take time and patience, but we're confident that we'll get there.

Great news. I have always had the utmost respect for studios like CCP and Paradox Interactive for the way they communicate with their fans and involve the community directly in development, and I think they make all the better games for that.

• SI Staff
Miles : do you have someone new on the UI "department" ? No disrespect to former designers but this style looks ... well ... different from the old stuff. Much more clear/clean looking ... it kind of reminds me of Matt(Three|Four .. etc) skins. Great change, imo.

Is it that obvious? ;)

Great news. I have always had the utmost respect for studios like CCP and Paradox Interactive for the way they communicate with their fans and involve the community directly in development, and I think they make all the better games for that.

I agree but that also has to do a lot with them, at least in Paradox case, being a much more closer AND hardcore community(And smaller). CCP almost has to do it like most MMO developers. You'll also see that SI is much more active on the FML part of the forums.

I'm coming around to the idea that Twitter is actually useful. I've stumbled across information I've been looking for on Twitter and couldn't find it anywhere else in the past couple of days.

What i think is that it was released on purpose to see the feedback on the attemted new skin for FM10, and i believe they have done the right thing

I like the new look, i think it is alot more user-friendly on the eye and it looks as if you can easily pick out the buttons/tabs on the screen without stopping to think where things are. I would like to ENCOURAGE SI to go ahead with this skin, and i think i talk on behalf of most people that play the FM series :thup:

P.S - perhaps SI could create a dark skin version as well as the normal version to go with the game. It would add variety and keep alot of people happy ... just a thought ;)

What i think is that it was released on purpose to see the feedback on the attemted new skin for FM10, and i believe they have done the right thing

I like the new look, i think it is alot more user-friendly on the eye and it looks as if you can easily pick out the buttons/tabs on the screen without stopping to think where things are. I would like to ENCOURAGE SI to go ahead with this skin, and i think i talk on behalf of most people that play the FM series :thup:

+1 :thup:

I would also urge SI and sega to have a look at this thread, as it has some really good ideas in it, regarding user interface and skinning: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=126305

I think if Miles wanted feedback he would have posted it on here and asked for it.

So your saying once you have a couple of vodka's then you suddenly have the urge to post a W.I.P skin of FM10 ?

i dont know anything about the guy apart from that he obviously works for S.I ... but from my point of view, i thought it was setup . But if it was or if it wasnt, i still think it has been a positive for S.I to think about

So your saying once you have a couple of vodka's then you suddenly have the urge to post a W.I.P skin of FM10 ?

i dont know anything about the guy apart from that he obviously works for S.I ... but from my point of view, i thought it was setup . But if it was or if it wasnt, i still think it has been a positive for S.I to think about

Like he said, he was trying out adding images to Twitpix or whatever it's called and couldn't delete it.

Although why he would post something like that anyway is beyond me - maybe the aliens told him to:)

What I am saying is Miles is as blunt/direct/straight forward as they come, if he wanted feedback this would not be how he went about it.

Think about it... you want feedback on your new interface. Do you:

a) Post a thread with several pictures on a forum dedicated to your product, or

b) Post one single solitary picture somewhere else, hope someone finds it and starts a thread on the forum, all the while pretending it was an accident, saying it is a work in progress and not really inviting any feedback. And make yourself look a bit of a twerp in the process.

Trust me, this WAS a mistake. However, I don't think it has done any harm at all and does serve as a timely reminder that Eidos are not the only ones to have worked on their game.

What I am saying is Miles is as blunt/direct/straight forward as they come, if he wanted feedback this would not be how he went about it.

Think about it... you want feedback on your new interface. Do you:

a) Post a thread with several pictures on a forum dedicated to your product, or

b) Post one single solitary picture somewhere else, hope someone finds it and starts a thread on the forum, all the while pretending it was an accident, saying it is a work in progress and not really inviting any feedback. And make yourself look a bit of a twerp in the process.

Trust me, this WAS a mistake. However, I don't think it has done any harm at all and does serve as a timely reminder that Eidos are not the only ones to have worked on their game.

perhaps your right, and i certianly agree that it has been a positive thing. I think SI will keep a close eye on him to make sure he doesnt touch the bottle anytime soon :p

Like he said, he was trying out adding images to Twitpix or whatever it's called and couldn't delete it.

Although why he would post something like that anyway is beyond me - maybe the aliens told him to:)

Maybe posting FM09 rather than FM10 would have been a more logical thing to do. All this proves is that Miles is a lightweight.

Got to admit, I thought that would be the other graphics thread made by StanPetrov, this one. :)

Stop flattering yourself :D Good thread that, and the ideas just be taken on board aswell as Stan's.

Anyway, that's it for now. I'm going to go back into hiding, waiting for Sonic the Hedgehog to come and tell me off for the screenshot getting out there, and I'll be back mid next month with details of our next games.

Plural? Is that just a typo or are we expecting multiple game announcements? Or is this just meaning FM Handheld as well as FM10?

There is one thing about the skin that makes me worry, if this is the direction it ends up going in.

A lot has been made over the last few years over reducing the amount of clicking and mouse movement that is required for a player to reach the information and screens they are after. It seems to have been one of the main focuses if I remember, and I remember a lot being made of it in the unveiling of new skins over the past few iterations. It's what brought in all the little shortcut buttons at the top, and the breadcrumbs, and the extra continue button in the bottom-right corner, and so on.

This approach seems to be a complete reversal of that ideal, actually putting information further away from players. I mean, the most important stuff still seems to be One Click away (From the look of things, the Home screen, the Inbox, the Tactics screen, the News screen, Player Search, Squad screen, Calendar screen, and what looks like the fixtures screen), but it still looks like it will be putting information further away from players than before.

I still think the best option is to have a "customisable shortcuts" bar, similar to the shortcut buttons in FM09, except allowing users to put whichever screens they want there. For example in FM09 I view the Fixtures list a lot, which is something which would normally require two clicks (squad shortcut, then fixtures from there). I would add a shortcut to the fixtures list there. I also view the Staff Search screen (two clicks) quite regularly, along with the Board Room (two clicks) and Confidence (two clicks) screens. I think such an approach would allow players to have shortcuts to those screens they use regularly, whilst getting rid of those they barely touch (for me I rarely use the News, Transfer Rumours, Tutorial, Advisor, and Training shortcut buttons in FM09).

That's just my input anyway.

Archived