Shirt Sales in Future Versions

I would like something to be introduced in the game where you could view how many shirts each player has sold, such as Ronaldo is expected to sell millions of Real Madrid shirts. I'm not sure this would be useful to managing your team but I feel it would help represent shirt sales more realistically and I think it would be fun to look at once in a while.

think this would just be another one of those unused features, sounds very FIFA Manager to me

Not really, IRL before Real Madrid signed Ronaldo, they forecast how much his merchandising would be, which was key in securing the funding to buy him. I think it would be good to be able to see how much you could generate by signing a star player, especially when its at the top end of the budget. Positive merchandising figures would help you make a judgement on this. Example, C.Ronaldo or Ribery? Both world class, but i bet Ronaldo would generate more income so you could factor this into making your decision.

As a fan of graphs, figures, databases etc, this gets a :thup: from me.

Saying something is like fifa manager is a bit daft really, with the amount of features they've attempted down the years, they're bound to get some right. As much as I like FM, I've still not seen anything on there I'd rate as good as the form thing they had a few years back when it was still TCM, a player in bad form would be a bit below his usual level on his stats, good form a bit above. It's currently rolled in with the merchandising, but when the financial director etc tells me to expect a rise, I've not actually seen anything noticable on the finances screen.

yes, it would be good if it was a bit clearer than just being combined with merchandising, i sold a top player and only noticed a big drop in merchandising a few months later, would be good to be informed at the time that this might happen etc.

It could be shown in the form of a simple table:

Shirt   -  Sales   -  Income
-------------------------------
Plain   -  50,000  -  1,000,000
Ronaldo -  20,000  -  400,000
Kaka    -  15,000  -  300,000
Robben  -  10,000  -  200,000
Raul    -  12,000  -  240,000

With an option to view weekly, monthly, yearly and all time figures

I think it could become a pretty important addition to some managers. Real Madrid claim that their transfers are carefully planned on merchandise sales, so they can obviously be very important.

Madrid don't rely heavily on the Merchandise aspect when signing a player. Of course it'll help but not enough to justify the high prices they pay. Usually they recoup the money after a few years through securing better sponsorship deals and getting extra TV revenue cash (teams in Spain sell their TV rights individually). I read an article by some Real Madrid guy a couple of weeks ago. According to the guy Kaka and Ronaldo would have to play regularly at their best so that Madrid can recoup their money in 5-6 years.

I personally think it'll be useless. I think the system they have in place right now is basically club reputation dictates amount of money a club gets from merchandise. If you complete a big signing the message you get about extra sales is basically like a one off bonus. Adding the number of shirts sold by each player will probably be something simple like the bigger the reputation of both player+club the bigger the number. It'll be a set figure attached to every point of reputation a player+club has. We might as well guess, the figures won't aid us in anyway.

I suppose it'll help people feel more involved though so I don't know.

to be honest i think this feature would be more useful for smaller clubs then bigger clubs as bigger clubs will make money off european competitions and better sponsership deals anyways i mean its not hard to get a bank balance of over 100mil with a top club the way fm is currently.

this feature will help a smaller club manager make that crucial decision in choosing between 2 players of equal quality to maximise their profits.

Smaller clubs sell a lot less shirts and shirt sales tend to be pretty evenly distributed, unless there is a particular fan's favourite. The merchandise section currently does the job for lower league clubs. This is already in the game bar the exact figures.

The flaw in Perez's plan is that I bet people who were going to buy Kaka shirts will now mostly buy Ronaldo shirts. Will they get £145m in shirt sales from the pair? Probably not.

You must remember that these shirts cost a ridiculous amount for a real one....around the £100 mark in a few cases....and there are an awful lot of Madrid supporters in the entire world who buy real shirts

• 1 year later...
Smaller clubs sell a lot less shirts and shirt sales tend to be pretty evenly distributed, unless there is a particular fan's favourite. The merchandise section currently does the job for lower league clubs. This is already in the game bar the exact figures.

The flaw in Perez's plan is that I bet people who were going to buy Kaka shirts will now mostly buy Ronaldo shirts. Will they get £145m in shirt sales from the pair? Probably not.

My AFC Telford BSP and FA Trophy double winning season, generated all of £19,284 in merchandise sales last season. ;)

Particularly good sellers, were the Abdou Sall Defensive "Stopper" novelty condoms. He's been a fan favourite for two years now, so always worth cashing in on a good brand name. The Yannick Zambernardini Defensive "Cover" ones, didn't sell so well.

I just think features that make the game a bit more fun without being the jobs of other people (e.g building a 3D stadium) are what is needed to make the game more playable and enjoyable as I know I would probably like this feature more than an even more complex tactical engine. I know some people love making tactics etc. so obviously I wouldnt argue against developing that as long as the game is still accessible to people who just want to sign a few players and start playing with a bog standard tactic

Massive bump for this one!

Anyway really don't think its that important. You can already see the benefits of big name signings with increased merchandise revenue, thats enough for me, I really couldn't care less how many were actually sold, unless they decide thats how the champions will be chosen.

Archived