Assistant is an idiot... does this mean I have to attend the awful press conferences?

I am Leeds and hired a new assistant (Kevin Ball for the record) who has a 19 in motivating. For some reason, he is completely incompetent at motivating and just recently made the brilliant decision to say that he thought Man Utd would win the premier league. Obviously, they are my fierce rivals and practically my entire squad was upset. Some of his other comments are just completely asinine (He was "delighted" that one of my players was sent off), and others are just plain stupid (He wants to go all-out-attack away against Spurs).

Now, I hate press conferences. They are annoying, repetitive, and take an obscene amount of clicks. I always assigned my old assistant to take care of them and he did alright, but since Kevin Ball is a complete moron, it seems I now have to take care of them before more of my squad becomes unhappy. This isn't explicitly a post to rail against press conferences, but rather a dejected piece of groveling.

Here are my queries:

1. Why does my motivating 19 Assman have the intelligence of a squirrel?

2. Why was my previous motivating 15 Assman better as press conferences?

3. How can I not attend press conferences but not have an adverse effect on my team?

4. Is there any way in advance to know if assistant will be an idiot?

Which attributes expressly affect Press Conferences, maybe it's not just motivation, possibly he has a very low hidden attribute that Is important in PCs. I have this problem occasionally, not as bad as you. My Assman was apparently delighted with the perfomance of my West Ham team (predicted 5th) in a 2-0 loss to a mid table championship side in the FA Cup.....

Press conferences have to be the worst things in the game, absolutely hate them. Delegated to the assistant after about 6 of them, and haven't gone back since. Slightly annoying if you want to have a rant about an offside decision, say, but worth it to avoid, as you say, the huge number of clicks and extreme repetition.

Not sure the answer to the OP - had an assistant who'd do something similar, but didn't ever identify it as causing problems in the squad, so ignored it. If you can afford it, just sack him and get someone else.

Was your game started on 9.3? It's noticably improved over the earlier versions.

I've had my assistant manager do press conferences for my entire career so far and even if he says something a bit daft it never seems to affect any of my players performances.

yup it's 9.03. For the record, in my 9.03 games, none of my assistants have continuously given stupid answers which is why I am wondering why it happens to be the 19 motivating one who is an idiot.

I've had allsorts of ridiculous things said by my Assistant Manager. So now i do the conferences myself. I've done them enough to know exactly what buttons to press for the answer i always give for mininimal affect on the team as quick as poss. Bout 10 seconds - conference done, don't even read the questions any more!!!

By the way SI - please either make them more interesting or get rid of them!!!!

My advice dont ever let your ass-man do press conferences. What they say is the games way of punishing you for taking the lazy option. They come out with the most stupid answers.

Just attend them yourself. Can be time-consuming and frustrating but study the affect your answers have and use them to your advantage

Press conference are a terrible feature. I entusiasticaly did about 5 but I got very tiresome very quickly. I set my Ass Man to do all the PCs. He alright but every so often he gives an stupid answer. I particularly hate it when he says my rival will win the league thus annoying all my players.

I hope they change them for FM10. Either improve them drastically which may be hard, have a PC switch off button or just leave the featue out completely.

Another option could be to have a media attribute which is visible to the manager. That way we could see how good he is at PCs. For the media attribute to work properly the Ass Man would be able to give near perfect answers if his media attribute is 20.

My assistant manager is always Massimo Neri , and he does a good job!:) Although i have Shay Given in my current save , almost just for the fun of it, and i have no complaints from him. I really do hope SI look into improving the huge potential that is in these press conferences!

How is his "Man Management" attribute?

The DB has a "Mind Games" rating for coaches/managers, which we can't see in-game, I wonder if that's extremely low for him?

His man management is 7 and his mind games is 6 (via FMTRE). There should be some kind of warning when hiring a staff member I feel. When you scout a player, it will say if he's injury prone or poor in important matches, both of these are hidden stats. Some sort of scouting report for a staff member is necessary to uncover his hidden stats which seem to be quite important... and I had no idea man management was needed for the press conferences, noooo :(

You think thats bad, after my player got awarded Goal of the Year, his comment on it, "It was absolutly Terrible".

My player got a 9.2 on his debut, "shocking performance".

A little off topic, but after a 6-1 loss, his team talk was "Brilliant game" to everyone, except the only player to get higher than a 7, to which he didn;t say anything.

He came up with a another gem. I was beating Chelsea 2-0 at half time and he put recommended "pleased" for the team... except for my striker who scored both of my goals who he felt was "disappointing".

yup

me too

same problem

His man management is 7 and his mind games is 6 (via FMTRE). There should be some kind of warning when hiring a staff member I feel. When you scout a player, it will say if he's injury prone or poor in important matches, both of these are hidden stats. Some sort of scouting report for a staff member is necessary to uncover his hidden stats which seem to be quite important... and I had no idea man management was needed for the press conferences, noooo :(

I think those two attributes are your culprits, then. Yes, in my experience Man Management and Mind Games are the key attributes for Press Conferences. I think Motivation is key for Team Talk advice.

Sorry to break bad news. :(

1. Why does my motivating 19 Assman have the intelligence of a squirrel?

QUOTE]

I’ll have you know squirrels are very clever.

There’s one in my back garden that can hang upside down off of the bird table and unscrew the metal bottom off the nut feeder.

I’d like to see SI program an asst mngr that can do that!

Sorry this made me chuckle, whilst itching to home to play more FM when I return home from work, however if you keep saying no comment and stay away from media comments I am sure that the press conferences have little or nigh on no effect on the team talks.

However tedious it can be it is worthwhile doing them yourself, as it often it is beyond madness some of the AM's answers in the press conferences.

Archived