Strange Team Reaction.

I have just played Chelsea in the League Cup 4th Round and just lost 3-2. I played really well and was unlucky not to get at least a point.

After the match I held a press conference when this happened.

untitled-1.jpg

Look at the question and my answer.

Then look at the last line.

Isn't that a little bit strange, I'm basically praising the team for a good performance and it says they won't react well?

In my opinion the whole idea of the press conference is good. However it doesn't work like we'd all want it too. It needs tweaking and at the moment is not only boring to attend but produces results like this. I think it might be because the questions are too closed off, no room to say what you actually want.

I think the AI is basically saying you shouldn't be happy losing. Although we all know that you're happy because the performance was good. Very strange!!

I think it has to do with the personality of your players, maybe they are highly ambitious and think you should be too. Or they are professional/determined and think you should be harder on them.

Well we won the league in the second season so I am ambitious and so are they.

Well yeah, but I meant that if you tell the press that you're happy with a defeat some players will interpret that as a lack of ambition on your part, that you should only be satisfied with a win.

If I lose I always say something along the lines of "I will be looking for more in the future", "Not happy about it", etc. Even if we played well and were unlucky to lose. The squad always reacts well to that.

I have just played Chelsea in the League Cup 4th Round and just lost 3-2. I played really well and was unlucky not to get at least a point.

After the match I held a press conference when this happened.

untitled-1.jpg

Look at the question and my answer.

Then look at the last line.

Isn't that a little bit strange, I'm basically praising the team for a good performance and it says they won't react well?

How much points were you expecting to get for a draw in carling cup?

I remember on FM07 when I praised a player after a moderately good run of form, and he reacted dismissively

Looking at him through an in-game editor I was even more shocked to find that this mild praise had caused me to be added to his disliked personnel. Now I could just about imagine a egotistic player with a personality disorder sulking because he thought he was being patronised by a manager who clearly misunderestimated ;) him. But not Paul Scholes.

It was that that made me wonder whether not having player interaction was better than having really, really bad player interaction

(by the end of the season praising him for a second time had got me on his list of favoured personnel - guess we patched up our differences)

• 3 weeks later...

“Ya they didnt take into account that you lost narrowly to a top side.

Just thought you were happy to lose.”

But the reaction you get is “(player x) does not think he’s worthy of (manager’s) comments”.

In correct English, this means he’s embarrassed at being praised for his performance by such a great man (!) when the team lost. It’s not that you’re pleased at a defeat per se, thus indicating a lack of ambition or whatever, but rather the player feels embarrassed at being praised for performance while seeing the team knocked out. He feels HE let YOU down, rather than you presenting a complacent impression by praising defeats.

I just took my recently promoted to the Championship Wycombe side to Premier League, high flying Blackburn in the League Cup, lost one-nil to a very late extra time goal but could have won or at least forced penalties. In the numpty press conf I said I was “pleased with the performance”. If anyone says that’s unreasonable then you, sir, are a raving idiot. Four of my players are now as miserable as sin, cringing and wimpering about not “being worthy”.

But is it what the programmers are trying to put across? Or are they trying to say what you are saying: I.E., that you should never be publicly pleased about a defeat? Given the programmer’s command of correct English, who knows?

With SI’s/SEGA’s money, you’d think they could hire someone with a knowledge of football who also had a good command of English and who could recognise mistakes and ambiguities. The game is riven with unnatural and sometimes nonsense phrases. SI’s own hints and tips guide on the website is littered with grammatical and even spelling errors. The flippant excuse is the author was “a programmer not a writer”. Well, here’s a revolutionary idea: get a writer to proofread it. Especially stuff that’s read and trusted by the nation’s impressionable youth.

How can we pontificate on press conference reactions and suchlike when SI’s command of the language is so prone to error? This is a case in point. The “not worthy” comment should mean x, but it may well mean y because that’s the sort of language error SI are prone to make.

Either way, it’s a daft reaction!

In my opinion, we as the manager intend the comment to mean, "The players played well and we were unlucky. There wasn't much more they could've done." This is logical, and should be the way the players understand it.

However I think the players just interpret your answer as "I don't mind losing", hence their unhappiness with it.

IMO press conferences are the easily one of the worst new features for an FM/CM game that I can remember in the 10 years i've been playing the game. It just doesn't seem like any time or effort was put into it whatsoever.

“Ya they didnt take into account that you lost narrowly to a top side.

Just thought you were happy to lose.”

But the reaction you get is “(player x) does not think he’s worthy of (manager’s) comments”.

In correct English, this means he’s embarrassed at being praised for his performance by such a great man (!) when the team lost. It’s not that you’re pleased at a defeat per se, thus indicating a lack of ambition or whatever, but rather the player feels embarrassed at being praised for performance while seeing the team knocked out. He feels HE let YOU down, rather than you presenting a complacent impression by praising defeats.

I just took my recently promoted to the Championship Wycombe side to Premier League, high flying Blackburn in the League Cup, lost one-nil to a very late extra time goal but could have won or at least forced penalties. In the numpty press conf I said I was “pleased with the performance”. If anyone says that’s unreasonable then you, sir, are a raving idiot. Four of my players are now as miserable as sin, cringing and wimpering about not “being worthy”.

But is it what the programmers are trying to put across? Or are they trying to say what you are saying: I.E., that you should never be publicly pleased about a defeat? Given the programmer’s command of correct English, who knows?

With SI’s/SEGA’s money, you’d think they could hire someone with a knowledge of football who also had a good command of English and who could recognise mistakes and ambiguities. The game is riven with unnatural and sometimes nonsense phrases. SI’s own hints and tips guide on the website is littered with grammatical and even spelling errors. The flippant excuse is the author was “a programmer not a writer”. Well, here’s a revolutionary idea: get a writer to proofread it. Especially stuff that’s read and trusted by the nation’s impressionable youth.

How can we pontificate on press conference reactions and suchlike when SI’s command of the language is so prone to error? This is a case in point. The “not worthy” comment should mean x, but it may well mean y because that’s the sort of language error SI are prone to make.

Either way, it’s a daft reaction!

This is a pretty good post. The main problem with team talks and press conferences is the language used is ambiguous (maybe as a result of the complexity of the module), now everyone knows (whos played FM's 07,08,09) what the team talks actually mean, but press conferences are new and thus still to be deciphered (for most people).

I feel regardless of the issues with the complexity of programming if you have an option that says you're pleased with the performance in a defeat it means exactly that, not ' I dont care if we lose' or 'i feel there is a limit to the teams ability'.

Archived