Summer football

In Estonia as well. Season lasts from March to early November. In Northern Europe there's no stadium without frosty ground or even snow in December-February. I'm not sure about Latvia though.

I would suggest that Canada can be added to the list as well.

In Estonia as well. Season lasts from March to early November. In Northern Europe there's no stadium without frosty ground or even snow in December-February. I'm not sure about Latvia though.

I would suggest that Canada can be added to the list as well.

I've often wondered about countries in Northern Europe and how they prepare and play in European games.

For instance, how do Swedish or Norwegian teams keep fit and ready for Uefa Cup games in the winter months? How do they ensure that their grounds are fit to play on with the weather conditions being what they are in the winter months when the Uefa Cup gets going?

As far as I know, seasons in these countries run from March to October time. So how do they cope with the November and December fixtures in Europe? I'm asking both from the point of view of match fitness and of coping with the weather conditions.

C.

I think they have a couple of friendlies before each euro game in the off season just to warm up. But if a team from England gets one of them it is supposed to be to our advantage as they won't be fit and fresh, but they will be less tired so it has pluses and minuses. Not sure about the ground prep thou......melt the ice with lots of hair dryers on the morning of the game??

I've often wondered about countries in Northern Europe and how they prepare and play in European games.

Let's give one example:

http://sport.err.ee/failid/galerii4247.jpg

that's a picture from Estonia-Canada international friendly from March 2008

The conditions on the picture were actually quite good, considering it was a terrible blizzard just day before the match and in the morning of match day the stadium looked like this:

http://www.postimees.ee/foto/2/7/14877247ea267491714_3.jpg

With a help of hundreds of volunteers and under soil heating it was still good enough for playing, although it was still snowing during the match and during half time break snow removal continued :D

Archived