seemed demotivated, looked delighted!

Not really a mixed message.

He was delighted with the feedback but it demotivated him.

In other words, he was really happy with what you said but then couldn't be bothered to try as hard. Presumably the praise went to his head. :D

C.

That is just ridiculously over complicating things.

How can you be demotivated after being really happy with feedback.

Very odd thing to put in the game.

Not really a mixed message.

He was delighted with the feedback but it demotivated him.

In other words, he was really happy with what you said but then couldn't be bothered to try as hard. Presumably the praise went to his head. :D

C.

From that, I gather it means that he took the praise highly and thus "rested on his laurels". That's the closest meaning I could get from that explaination.

They really should make these team talks clearer. Some of them we don't even know what it means and the effects they have on the team.

From that, I gather it means that he took the praise highly and thus "rested on his laurels". That's the closest meaning I could get from that explaination.

That's right.

If someone is telling you that you are great all of the time, you might lose the motivation to try. Some people are more motivated by having to prove a point.

They really should make these team talks clearer. Some of them we don't even know what it means and the effects they have on the team.

The feedback does need improving. I will agree with you there.

C.

Exactly right. What you should be doing is raising their morale between games (happy) but get them motivated for matches. They are quite distinct. For example, telling a player at half time that you're angry with him should make him unhappy but motivated if you get it right. Then give him a cuddle after the game.

It makes perfect sense. By saying what you did, the player was happy, probably due to praise. However, after this praise, he got complacent and his motivation dropped.

It doesn`t make any sense to me. First part of the `sentence`: seemed demotivated

Second part of the `sentence`: looked delighted

How I understand it, is: he was demotivated before, but after your team talk he looked delighted, that`s what makes sense considering the timeline. First part of the sentence representing a state before the talk, second part representing the current state of the player. So I always thought that was a good thing, was I wrong all the time?

Bad grammer, sound logic.

See, it makes perfect sense!

EDIT: to be a bit more constructive. The comma is the key part here. The statement before the comma refers to his general happiness with the feedback 'delighted'. The statement after the comma refers to his level of motivation 'demotivated'. The comma is acting as a seperator to let you know that the two statements relate to two different items. No grammer problems, no logic problems, no issue. It looks weird if you read it quickly, but slow down a moment and you'll see that it all makes sense.

Archived