It's time to say goodbye (aka: 3d Match Engine - what's the point?)

I'll just say I've been pretty patient with the bugs'; logging them pretty methodically for the benefit of SI (I hoped), in order that we would hopefully see some improvement in a new patch, but now we know that's not going to be the case, in 2010.... not sure I have much faith, though.

I won't miss the game, I gave it a few months, it's flaws are too prominent. I'm disappointed because the world of the 3d Match Engine offered so much. So many people on here seem to gloss over it's flaws... I find I only get frustrated by them.

(p.s. I thought the pics were quite an amusing addition to the 'goodbye FM'-type post, there was a certain element of tongue-in-cheek - it wasn't 100% pure hissy-fit ;):D)

I hope FM2010 will be a lot better for the rest of you that still enjoy the game.

Haha such a pathetic thread.

"Goodbye Football Manager. I bought you for the 3d Match Engine; I destroy you for that very same reason."

Epic. ;)

Oh yeah, btw, the game has a thing called a 2d match engine as well, you might want to use that given your predicament.

OMG he destroyed the disc!!!!!!!!! my game works without the disc so I might just break when one of the kids annoy me

I actually love the 3d match engine, sure its not perfect, but its still enjoyable to me and thousands of others, SI tried something new, they listened to people on here who called for the 3d match engine (btw I was one who wanted them to improve other areas before moving on to 3d but anyway) and this is how they get repaid by people coming on here and having a go at them for just trying to make us happy, it only a game people, this thread reminds me of that old women from Newcastle who claimed her life had fallen apart because Keegan walked out on Newcastle again - total and unbelievable over reaction

OMG he destroyed the disc!!!!!!!!! my game works without the disc so I might just break when one of the kids annoy me

I actually love the 3d match engine, sure its not perfect, but its still enjoyable to me and thousands of others, SI tried something new, they listened to people on here who called for the 3d match engine (btw I was one who wanted them to improve other areas before moving on to 3d but anyway) and this is how they get repaid by people coming on here and having a go at them for just trying to make us happy, it only a game people, this thread reminds me of that old women from Newcastle who claimed her life had fallen apart because Keegan walked out on Newcastle again - total and unbelievable over reaction

Bang on! 3D is perfect for me. I dont want it to be superb fifa graphics cos FM is much more about other stuff then just the match engine.

Out of interest, if it didn't actually make a crack, how do you know it almost did?

I've managed to make a line straight down a disc once, but it wasn't a crack as such, as I couldn't pull the pieces apart and there was no noticeable 'hole'.

Eventually it did crack. :p Think it was Red Faction, although think I also had similar with CM03/04 which lead to me buying a new copy.

Honest to God, I can't decide whether all the drama about the 3D engine is more sad or more funny...

FM is about, guess what, MANAGING a football club. Not about having a graphically awesome rendition of the match...

As long as the match does reflect my tactic, my instructions and the main traits of my team/players, I'm more than satisfied with it.

Sure, it doesn't scream "next gen graphics", but seriously, who gives a crap about that?

FM is a SIMULATION, so I'm actually thankful we have something more user-friendly and helpful than the old "text only" mode, or than a 2D chessboard-like rendition.

If you want pretty graphics, there's FIFA 09 or PES2009...

Quite frankly, getting all bent out of shape about FM's 3d engine is like buying a Lamborghini and bitching about the trunk not being big enough for your suitcases to fit in...

In other words: to each game its own main features. And FM wasn't, isn't and NEVER should be about pretty 3D engine

Where did I mention mention graphics when talking about the Match Engine?

I'm talking about the bugs in it. The silly, unrealistic things that happen in every match. That very much affect how your team play, and how effective your team is in certain areas of play.

This particularly affects away matches, as you get less of the ball, and unfortunately you then really notice how often you are affected by the issues in the Match Engine - at home, if you have a decent side, you can overlook it, as you create many chances and can still win comfortably.

If my team isn't good enough, then fine, I will lose, but if it isn't played out realistically (the whole point of the introduction of the 3D Match Engine, surely?), then I don't know if my team lost because we weren't as good, or just because we didn't get the rub of the Match Engine green.

Why do we play football management games? Well ok, because we like football - but secondly, because we like to be in control of the whole thing - the team is our baby. When I'm seeing very unrealistic things happen that affect my team and the results in the Match Engine, I have zero control over that - I can't change a player to stop those things happening in the next match, or do anything in the tactics. It will continue to happen for as long as I play the game, at any level I play the game at.

Go look at all the bugs in the ME forum for what I'm talking about. I've logged a fair few myself, and mostly they are pretty reasonably put and are a result of much time spent watching my games in full in 3D.

I love the idea of the Match Engine, but I can't be an apologist for the execution of the Match Engine. I just can't overlook it anymore. After 3 patches it's still a pretty poor effort.

That's why, drama aside ( ;) ), I won't be playing the game anymore despite the fact that I was enjoying the success, but I just wasn't enjoying the execution of that success... the actual act of playing, for me, is about seeing my tactics and player choices and team selections employed in the matches, but when you are affected by the flaws in the game so many times (every time a winger has the ball, when you play the ball through the middle for a striker, defenders hoofing out for a throw, or worse, a corner, when not necessary to do so, players heading the ball out for a throw when they are in bags of space, etc. etc. etc.)..

I hope these things are solved in FM2010, but I have a feeling more problems will be introduced as they evolve the Match Engine, as happened in 9.3.

In which case, I won't be buying it. I might give it a go in 2012 or something, give them a while to get the ME fully developed.

I repeat - it's not whizzy graphics I'm after, in fact I was initially a bit disappointed when they 'improved' the ME graphics in 9.3. It's a realistic Match Engine I want, which is what I was hoping for when I bought the game - for me, this is central to the game. To be fair to SI, I think largely the rest of the game works well, if perhaps a little slow and time-consuming to get through.

The Match Engine is a very rudimentary version of something that will probably be pretty good in 2012. I think there are a lot people who have been playing the series every version, who can't / won't see this. It's a poor implementation.

My viewpoint is that a very realistic, very intelligent 3d Match Engine is a huge addition to Football Management games - I guess it's just early days. I'm disappointed enough to throw mine in the bin, but maybe in a couple of years the genre will have got there, and I predict that the vast majority will have come around to it (and even visual free-kick editors! :D), and see what they add to the game - and I dare say will also look back on SI's first effort in this area as rather shallow and abstract, rather than the realistic-playing match simulator that you'll be sitting in front of and thoroughly enjoying, at the time.

It's just early days I guess for this new aspect of the game, for me there's a lot of people brushing over it's evident flaws, probably to be fair, because they like the rest of the game. That's fair enough, but when someone complains about the Match Engine (again, NOT the graphics), perhaps it's because they've looked at it in a bit more critical detail than maybe you have wanted to.

hi

ive just purchased fm 2009, and after many probelms getting it to install i am now managing to play it. however the 3d match engine option is greyed out when the match is being played. can anyone help me with this please as the 3d match looks excellent.

thanks

hi

ive just purchased fm 2009, and after many probelms getting it to install i am now managing to play it. however the 3d match engine option is greyed out when the match is being played. can anyone help me with this please as the 3d match looks excellent.

thanks

Your computers graphics card isn't good enough to play the 3d graphics mate. I'm afraid you'll hav to stick to the 2D or buy a better computer or graphics card.

Your computers graphics card isn't good enough to play the 3d graphics mate. I'm afraid you'll hav to stick to the 2D or buy a better computer or graphics card.

thanks very much for your reply, what kind of card do i need and how much would one be please? its strange though because my 'newish' desktop pc also wont play the 3d match.

thanks again

Archived