MLS Squad Numbers/Developmental Contracts

Hey everyone,

Right now I am playing with the LA Galaxy. I am not sure if this question applies to other leagues since I've only been playing MLS. But basically, I have to select 28 players and give them a squad number to make them eligible for my team. What I'm wondering and what I think I've noticed is that if the players are on developmental contracts, you don't have to give them a squad number and they will remain on your team, where as if you do not give a squad number to a senior contracted player, you will lose him. (he will be waived)

Am I right about this? I was just wondering because technically this would mean that I could draft a bunch of players and take a chance on them even if they don't pan out while never having to give them a squad number.

Thanks.

I think that with development contracts they are like youth contracts so untill they are at a set age or are given a senior contract they dont have to be given squad numbers just like in youth teams and reserve teams.

hope that helps.

In real life, this isn't the case. 28 (24 now) contracted players regardless of the contract. I believe in game, if you don't give a developmental player a squad number, he is ineligible to play though.

Are you in the middle of the season or still before the roster deadline?

Right exactly, I've already played 3 seasons and that just dawned on me. Actually I am right before the roster deadline, after having pretty much passed my turn through the entire supplemental draft, I realized that I wouldn't have anything to lose by just drafting these crap players, not giving them a squad number and see how they develop with my coaches.

I'm pretty sure you'll lose them after the roster deadline date. If you have time you should send your surplus players (those that don't make your 28 roster spots) on loan to one of your Feeder Clubs.

Rule 1 of MLS drafts: Never pass. Always select someone.

The worst that happens is you end up cutting or not signing a crappy player. You can try trading him or selling him before the roster deadline.

Yeah you're right about that, I did lose them after the roster deadline even if they are developmental players. Can't say I really missed them, although I guess you do need 10 of them since you can only have 18 senior contracts on the team. I'll try sending them off on a loan without assigning them a squad number next season and see if that works.

Archived