Anyone ever thrown a match?

I don't mean putting out the kids in the Carling Cup, I mean deliberately losing a match to try and influence the effect on another team.

I have :D

Champions League group H

This was the table after four games. Due to our two wins over Inter, we had already finished top of the group. Earlier on, Villarreal had beaten Inter 2-0, which meant if we lost to Villarreal then the holders would have to beat them by three clear goals, along with beating Fenerbahce to qualify.

Champions League group H

This was the final table :cool:

Think we've all done it.

I remember one season. I was playing arsenal and they were level on points with Man utd last game of season, Utd had easy game against Stoke. Also Utd had better goal diff.

Utd were winning 3-0 in first 20 mins which meant that Arsenal needed to win at least 6-0 to win the title. Now as a liverpool fan I've still never got over Micky Thomas's goal which robbed us at Anfield:( but I really couldn't let Utd win the league.

9-0 later my fans were not happy, REina kept joining Torres up front:) and my back 4 all decided that they wanted to play as wingers but I sat with a smile on my face as old whiskey nose lost the title!

Not really, but there are some matches I don't make a huge effort to win... and some teams I won't care much about losing to.

And when the general situation of the league allows it, I'm down with a draw against either Rosenborg or Odd.

But losing on purpose, no, that's not something I've ever done.

I haven't really been in a postion to throw matches though. :(

I think that is what made this a bit different, the scenario was set out so well for me to do it. Usually I wouldn't bother, even if it means Pompey going down.

I am desperate to win the CL after losing in the semi last year, so a chance to knock out the holders without damaging our own campaign couldn't be missed.

I wonder if UEFA would ever investigate something like this as a match fixing issue? I didn't exactly go silly and blatantly throw the match, but I did field a weakened team including an unfit 16 year old goalkeeper (who's actually quite good). I didn't think the team I put out would win, but they were certainly competitive.

Can't say I've ever done it, not because I have morals but I just haven't been in a position to.

My mate was recently in a hot seat game, where he accepted a new job with Barcelona on the same day he had a match with his current club Man Utd, and the game allowed him to play this final game before changing him to Barcelona manager. So he proceeded to ensure his tenure at Utd finished on a low, as he fixed the game so Derby managed to beat him 40-0 and joined Barcelona moments after the final whistle.

I think that is what made this a bit different, the scenario was set out so well for me to do it. Usually I wouldn't bother, even if it means Pompey going down.

I am desperate to win the CL after losing in the semi last year, so a chance to knock out the holders without damaging our own campaign couldn't be missed.

I wonder if UEFA would ever investigate something like this as a match fixing issue? I didn't exactly go silly and blatantly throw the match, but I did field a weakened team including an unfit 16 year old goalkeeper (who's actually quite good). I didn't think the team I put out would win, but they were certainly competitive.

Technically speaking, if there's no evidence to prove a club willingly lost the match, UEFA or FIFA can't do a thing.

Think about Euro2004, the glorious 2-2 between Denmark and Sweden... There was only ONE result that would have qualified BOTH teams, while sending Italy home, and obviously both teams played for a 2-2.

But since there's no way to actually PROVE Sørensen (who had played a flawless tournament) purposely gave a cheap rebound away later in the game, allowing the Swedes to net the 2-2, the game was still technically clean...

So the same goes for you in FM if you play a rookie keeper or give the benchwarmers a chance...

Now, if you have the keeper joining the strikers and play with a 1-1-8, THEN it's blatant fixing...

I don't mean putting out the kids in the Carling Cup, I mean deliberately losing a match to try and influence the effect on another team.

I have :D

Champions League group H

This was the table after four games. Due to our two wins over Inter, we had already finished top of the group. Earlier on, Villarreal had beaten Inter 2-0, which meant if we lost to Villarreal then the holders would have to beat them by three clear goals, along with beating Fenerbahce to qualify.

Champions League group H

This was the final table :cool:

That's an effin' disgrace!

I don't think I ever throw a match but it cases like what was highlighted If I was already qualified then I play youngsters so they get some first team games the same is said for playing cup matches against lower opposition, I put my team first this means thinking about cutting down the amount my first X1 have to play and making sure my beloved striker does not pick up an unnecessary injury!

Archived