Laptop processor advice

Basically I want advice on what laptop processor should I be thinking of in order to be able to run FM2009..... I currently run it on my windows xp desktop with a celeron at 2.19GHZ and 2 GB of ram and it runs decently enough.. HOwever I need to buy a laptop because Ill be going abraod to study at italy.... I want to buy an hp dv4t or dv5t since I like the design, I can´t buy directly from HP because I live in Panama and they don´t ship outside of the US and I can´t buy in a store in Panama cuz they are ridicolously over priced so I´m stuck browsing ebay for the right one, however I can´t find one that match all that I want (processor of at least 2.13 GHZ, dedicated graphics and a blu-ray rom) there are some that come with good processor but lack the dedicated graphics and the blu ray rom and others that have the dedicated graphics (nvidia Ge force 9200 or 105M) and the blu ray rom but only have 2GHZ processors (T6400 or p7350) (ram are either 3GB or 4GB) would that be enough to run FM2009 on Vista and generally to run Vista (64 bits) at a decent speed.. I´ve heard Vista make things go half at fast as they would go in the same pc running XP which is why I´m concerned.. also in case this are good enough for FM2009 do you think they would be good enough for fm2010? Or should I look for better processor and sacrifice either the graphics card or the blu ray rom?

I appreciatte any advice.....

A core 2 duo processor (as fast as you can get) with 4GB ram should be quite handy. I would ditch the blue ray (unless you really want it) and the 64bit OS (only needed if you've got more than 4GB ram) and try and get a copy of 32bit XP, if not try 32bit Vista.

As was said above- the processor should be at least dual core at 2.0 GHz to be comfortable, 2+ GB of RAM, but the graphics card is vital and should have at least 128MB of its own dedicated memory and more if you can get it. If this is a problem, ditch the blu ray

The deciding factor here should be the following: what sort of things you are planning to do with your new laptop?

Here is a great site that could help you in your situation: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/windows-laptop-scout.aspx

If it's studying then I assume that you will need to carry it fairly often, laptops that can run high-end 3D-games tend to weigh a lot and you can work for a mere two hours with one charging cycle which may not be what you really want. As for you OS, go for Windows 7 when it comes out. So, my advice is to consider performance vs battery lifetime, gaming experience vs mobility, etc.

Im not planning on doing any gaming other than FM so basically what I need to know is whether 2GHZ would be enough for Basic works on Vista (MS office, watching movies, listening to music, ect) and playing fm09 I understand I get vista 32 bits with 3gb ram or vista 64 bits with 4GB ram don't kwnow which is better...... I can get either a 256 graphic card or a 512 graphic card.... in addition to know if this configuration can run fm09 and vista at a decent speed also would like ot know whether you guys think is too borderline and while good enough for fm2009 might not be able to run fm2010?

A core 2 duo processor (as fast as you can get) with 4GB ram should be quite handy. I would ditch the blue ray (unless you really want it) and the 64bit OS (only needed if you've got more than 4GB ram) and try and get a copy of 32bit XP, if not try 32bit Vista.

Utterly wrong.

If you have 4gb of RAM then you must use a 64bit OS otherwise you're only able to use 3.5 of it.

64 bit gets better than 32bit when you go over 2gb of RAM anyway.

Get Vista - with a modern spec it will perform better than XP. (Dual Core processor and at least 2gb of RAM)

Don't offer advice if you don't know what you're talking about.

If you have 4gb of RAM then you must use a 64bit OS otherwise you're only able to use 3.5 of it.

I can confirm it, it's due to the architecture of 32bit operating systems. If you buy Windows Vista now, you will be able to upgrade to Windows 7 for free when it comes out. And that is also highly recommended since I don't see a reason why anyone would use Vista if there's a better alternative available. :D

Utterly wrong.

64 bit gets better than 32bit when you go over 2gb of RAM anyway.

Get Vista - with a modern spec it will perform better than XP. (Dual Core processor and at least 2gb of RAM)

Don't offer advice if you don't know what you're talking about.

I can confirm it, it's due to the architecture of 32bit operating systems. If you buy Windows Vista now, you will be able to upgrade to Windows 7 for free when it comes out. And that is also highly recommended since I don't see a reason why anyone would use Vista if there's a better alternative available. :D

Apologies for not being a computer geek.

Apologies for not being a computer geek.

You don't have to be a geek to know that tbh. It's just annoying when people talk about stuff they know nothing about, particularly when someone is looking to spend a large amount of money.

It's called being polite

Im not planning on doing any gaming other than FM so basically what I need to know is whether 2GHZ would be enough for Basic works on Vista (MS office, watching movies, listening to music, ect) and playing fm09 I understand I get vista 32 bits with 3gb ram or vista 64 bits with 4GB ram don't kwnow which is better...... I can get either a 256 graphic card or a 512 graphic card.... in addition to know if this configuration can run fm09 and vista at a decent speed also would like ot know whether you guys think is too borderline and while good enough for fm2009 might not be able to run fm2010?

I think that 2GHZ and the 32bit version of windows with 3GB Ram will suit you just fine. I have a 256mb graphics card in my machine (a desktop) and it runs the 3d part of FM great.

Archived