CM PSP v FM PSP

Okay ive always been a sigames boy and stuck by football manager during the split but now since i no longer have a computer i have decided to nbuy the psp and a manager game BUT this is the problem I have ben doing research on both games and the CM PSP seems to have better features then the FM PSP most notably the 2D match engine. What do you reckon guys and please I rather you didnt be biased.

Okay ive always been a sigames boy and stuck by football manager during the split but now since i no longer have a computer i have decided to nbuy the psp and a manager game BUT this is the problem I have ben doing research on both games and the CM PSP seems to have better features then the FM PSP most notably the 2D match engine. What do you reckon guys and please I rather you didnt be biased.

• SI Staff

I'm obviously going to be biased in anything I say - so the best I can recommend is simply to look at as many reviews and opinions as possible on the two games, a good place to start is generally somewhere like 'Metacritic'

http://www.metacritic.com/

This is a site which collates all the various reviews (both online and offline) for games, movies etc.

PS> The FM PSP game isn't intended to be a port of the PC title and never will be, it IS a realistic and fun to play football management game - however porting the PC title (apart from being an impossibility icon_wink.gif ) wouldn't have worked imho because of the different in how people play games on a PSP to a PC (ie. more limited playing time, screen space, control system etc.).

dotdotdash, to save you the bother of looking at Marc's link, I've yet to find a games mag that doesn't rate FMH as superior to CM on the PSP.

That's not to say you might not prefer it of course, but it's one thing doing a 2D match engine on the PSP, it's another thing doing it WELL.

You're right dotdotdash. 8/10 to 7/10 in CM's favour. Two different reviewers mind you, which spoils the comparison a bit.

I've never heard of acegamez before. I had to laugh at CM06 for PSP getting 5/10 when they gave it to a reviewer who admits he doesn't even like football.

I based my decision on which PSP title to get on how I rated the PC versions. As previously stated the PSP version of FM is not meant to be a straight port, but I trust the people who made the PC version to do a damn good version for the PSP, especially when you look at the mess that was the first CM without SI!!

The reason CM Handheld has all the PC features is because the PC features are so shallow. FM has a massive depth to it, which simply can't be put on the PSP.

Therfor they have to reduce what goes in.

Fortunately what they do put into the game has depth and meaning, while CM is shallow and flashy.

The 2D match engine is terrible in CMPC, let alone the one on the PSP. The FM match engine on the PC is so large it'll struggle to fit on the PSP on it's own.

I got CM before FMH and i found that cm has a lot of bugs and annoying little things for example the possiblilty of selling djimi traore for 15m just wouldnt happen! the 2d match play is a good feature though but it needs jazzing up a bit im sure someday FMH will be superior in the match play department!

Anyway in case im boring you...

CM-0 1-FMH

• 1 month later...

I'm hoping that as SI have done releases of FM for the PSP, they might do similar for the PS2. Even a scaled down version will suffice, because I know that it will at least have "soul".

I'm also without a PC - that I can use for games anyway - and bought CM2006 for thr PS2. It's absolutely bloody terrible. Bugs galore, unrealistic stats for players and teams, match ratings and form ratings that don't correlate, crap and unrealistic transfers and player prices... I could go on for a long time!

Going by the CM forums, the PS2 release and the PSP release are basically the same game.

Let me just say this - if you've played any of the CM games up to CM4 made by SI and any of the following Football Manager games, then if you buy Championship Manager, I can guarentee you will be extremely dissapointed.

The best way I can put it is...

When SI's partnership with Eidos died, so did everything good about Championship Manager. Fortunately SI made Football Manager and there lies the definative football management game icon14.gif

It's also worth taking a look at the forums here and the forums for CM. You will note that the "Bugs and Data Issues" forum for the consoles - and for the PC - is choc full of insightful information as to how "good" CM is these days. This will most likely steer you in the right direction of which game to buy.

Some people seem to put alot into the match engine, but personally it's not the be-all-and-end-all for me. I've played all the CM & FM games through the years, right back from the original CM, on a Commodore Amiga no less, and the match engine was'nt the main attraction, it was always the depth, information and playability of the game as a whole that got me hooked.

Ive had both but the cm game is worse mainly because of the lack of regens (if there is any) i played Juventus for 5 years winning the title every year but in the end couldnt find any young players so gave up. Fmh on the other hand is playable for 30 years with plenty of regens and better features tbh. The 2d match engine btw is rubbish it has to zoom in because of the smallness of the screen which lowered the standard.

Fmh 1-0 Cm

Sorry about the number of posts about my desperation to have FM for the PS2... icon_rolleyes.gif

As those of you that have played CM post-SI seem to appreciate, it's bloody terrible now!

_IF_ I could talk the missus into the expense of a new PC for things other than "work" - I would be fine icon_wink.gif

Believe me, it's easier begging SI to do a release of FM for the PS2 than asking the missus to agreeing to spend money for me to play "one of those silly football games".

...they just don't understand sometimes do they icon_rolleyes.gif

Archived