MANCHESTER UNITED

EUROPE'S TROPHY CAPITAL

Man_Utd.jpg

Full Name- Manchester United Football Club

Nicknames- The Red Devils

Owners- Malcolm Glazer

Chairmen- Joel and Avram Glazer

HISTORY

Today, Manchester United is the biggest club in the world, it boasts the largest fanbase in the world with over 75,000,000 people following the club. But Manchester United hasn't just sprung out of nowhere into the limelight it has taken hard graft from everyone involved within the club to get it to where it is now. United first originated as the club Newton Heath L&YR but upon entering the football leagues they eventually dropped the L&YR from their name, becoming Newton Heath. 1902 sparked disaster at Heath and the club went into 2,500 pounds of debt and the club was soon to fold but a man named J.H Davies rescued the club and injected money into the club to keep it a float.

Davies became a member of the board and one of the first things he did was to give the club the famous name it posseses today, Manchester United. The club also changed their colours from Heath's green and yellow to the colour red and these were to be the teams new colours.

United's first manager Ernest Magnall took the club to its first trophy in 1908 coming top in Englands 1st Division but only after 7 years of struggles to get this far. It was one of many trophies to come. The year later United claimed their first Charity Shield, now Community Shield, greatly influenced by the clubs first legend Billy Meredith. That same season United also claimed their first of 11 FA Cups which is currently the most won.

1912 began United's downfall and they steadily declined back down the table and by 1922 they were relegated into Division 2 but bounced back up three years later in 1925. They continued to struggle and in 1931 were again relegated and this meant that by the end of WWII United had endured their longest trophy less spell of a massive 41 years but no football was played during the war from 1939-1945.

Post war United appointed Matt Busby as manager and Busby immediately mad an impact by coming 2nd in Division 1 in 1947, 48, 49 and won the FA Cup for a second time in 1948. Busby's arrival also saw the increasing talent appearing from the academy and the players were called the 'Busby Babes'. The Babes now one of the greatest Manchester teams to have ever lived.

But then horror struck United, on the way back from United's 1958 European Cup match against Serbia's Red Star, the Plane crashed whilst landing at Munich and it took the lives of 8 United players and 15 others on board. The player whom died are; Geoff Bent, Roger Byrne, Eddie Colman, Duncan Edwards, Mark Jones, David Pegg, Tommy Taylor and Liam "Billy" Whelan. These players will forever be remembered.

In the 60's, Busby rebuilt the team-with players such as Dennis Law and Pat Crerand, and of course, George Best. United proved they had re-built themselves after Munich by winning the 1963 FA Cup Final, despite coming a low 18th in the league. The season after they came 2nd in Division 1, before winning it in '65 and '67. A season after that, Manchester United became Champions of Europe as they beat Benfica 4-1(aet) at Wembley. They became the first English club to win the European Cup, and the 2nd British one-the year after Celtic's 'Lisbon Lions' triumphed. But Busby's side wasn't quite the same after Wembley, as the Scot resigned a year later after an incredible 24 years in charge.

Fast forwarding to 1986 and it was ex-Aberdeen man Alex Ferguson appointed as manager and in his first season he guided his team to 11th. Fergie then led the team to 2nd in the next season and was so close to the league title that all the fans wanted. Fergie's third season at the realm wasn't one to remember for Fergie as he was almost sacked finishing 11th in the league but was saved by winning the cup that year.

1999 was the year all United fans will remember, that night at the Nou Camp where Ole Gunnar Solkjaers fatal touch won United the European Cup for the second. It was also the year United secured the league title and wait for it the FA Cup. Yes, they had won the treble and this feat is yet to be achieved by no other club in the English game. The next two years Man United won the league title but failed to win the Champions League again.

In 2002, United finished 2nd in the league, behind Arsenal, but claimed it back the following year. That season proved to be David Beckham's last, as a few arguements over the course of the season saw him sold to Real Madrid. In came new number 7, Cristiano Ronaldo from Sporting Lisbon. Ronaldo signed for United after a friendly for Sporting against the Red Devils. All United players were talking about him after their 3-1 defeat to Sporting, but it was confirmed later that the club had been in talks with Ronaldo for some time. In his first season, United failed to retain the Premier League, but did salvage some pride with a fairly routine FA Cup Final win over Millwall-their 11th Cup win.

The next season proved to be another trophyless one as new boys on the block Chelsea, funded by Roman Abramovic's millions, won the league with a record 95 points. United again got to the FA Cup Final, but despite dominating the whole 120 minutes, they lost 5-4 to Arsenal in a penalty shoot-out. Paul Scholes was the unlucky player to miss his penalty. The club got back into the habit of trophy winning in the next season, as they beat Wigan in the Carling Cup Final 4-0. Despite this, they couldn't push on in the league, as Chelsea wrapped it up again.

But a season later, after the World Cup, United regained as the number 1 team in England. They wrapped up the Premier League with games to spare, and were on for another historic treble. But those dreams were spoiled by AC Milan in the Champions League semi finals. After brilliantly overcoming Roma in the quarters(no United fan will ever forget the 2nd leg in that tie!) United beat Milan 3-2 at home. But two brilliant Kaka goals gave them the platform to destroy United 3-0 at the San Siro, and progress to the Final. In the next game after that though, United beat rivals Man City 1-0, and the day after, the title was confirmed. They were still on for another Double though, as they faced Chelsea in the FA Cup Final. But the game was a huge let down. Both sides were tired after very long seasons, and produced a very boring game. A Didier Drogba goal 5 minutes until a shoot-out gave Chelsea a 1-0 win.

The 2007-2008 season was one of the greatest in the clubs history, as they won the League and European Double. United claimed their 10th Premier League title on the last day at Wigan, beating them 2-0. All they had to do was better or equal Chelsea's result. In the end, the Londoners drew 2-2 with Bolton. The two clubs then met 11 days later in Moscow for the Champions League Final. Cristiano Ronaldo opened the scoring with his 42nd goal of a remarkable season-his best in a United shirt. But with seconds until half time, Frank Lampard equalized despite United dominating the half. But in the second period, Chelsea were by far the better team. They hit the post through Didier Drogba, but couldn't find a winner, in Avram Grant's final game in charge. Extra time was far more even, with both sides going close. Frank Lampard hit the bar for Chelsea, while Ryan Giggs was denied by John Terry. Giggs was playing his 759th game for the club, which confirmed him with the most appearances ever at United. In the penalty shoot-out, Ronaldo was the first one to miss, as his cheeky effort was saved by Petr Cech. With 4 penalties each, and the score at 4-4, Terry stepped up to potentially put the European Cup in his hands. But he slipped as he took it, and the ball hit the outside of the post. United had a life-line! The shoot-out went on, with Anderson and Kalou both scoring. With the scores at 5-5, Ryan Giggs made it 6-5 to United. Nicolas Anelka stepped up to keep Chelsea in the competition, but saw his penalty saved by Edwin Van der Sar! Manchester United were European Champions for the 3rd time.

CLUB HONOURS

Barclays Premier League/Division 1: (17.)

1907–08, 1910–11, 1951–52, 1955–56, 1956–57, 1964–65, 1966–67, 1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08

Division 2: (2)

1935–36, 1974–75

Community Shield: (17)

1908, 1911, 1952, 1956, 1957, 1965, 1967, 1977, 1983, 1990, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2008

FA Cup: (11)

1909, 1948, 1963, 1977, 1983, 1985, 1990, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2004

Carling Cup: (2)

1992, 2006

European Cup/UEFA Champions League: (3)

1968, 1999, 2008

UEFA Cup Winners Cup: (1)

UEFA Super Cup: (1)

Intercontinental Cup: (1)

GAME INFORMATION

LEAGUES RUNNING- England(BSP>), France(National>), Germany(3rdDiv>), Greece(B>), Italy(C2>), Portugal(Vit>),

Russia(1stDIV>), Spain(LIGAAd>), Turkey(1stDIV>), Brazil(2ndDIV>)

DATABASE- Medium

STADIUM

old-trafford.gif

NAME- Old Trafford

AKA- The Theatre of Dreams

OPENED- February 19, 1910

CAPACITY- 76, 212

SURFACE- Grass

UEFA RATING- Five Star *****

KITS

kitmontage.png

LEAGUE INFORMATION

english-badge.jpg

NAME- Barclays Premier League

COUNTRY- England (Top Tier)

TEAMS- 20

RELAGATION- Bottom three teams at the end of the season.

EUROPEAN SPOTS- 4 Champions League, 3 Europa League.

CURRENT HOLDERS- Manchester United

NEWLY PROMOTED- Hull City, Stoke City, West Bromwich Albion

Yeah I wrote it all, no point copying of wiki because it won't be my own work.

I'm just gonna do season reviews for the first two but then I'll update every 3 months game time maybe.

I'd get into the story so people have somthing to encourage you on! :D

It's just a factfile on Manchester otherwise :D

Haha not tonight, tomorrow maybe :D

These sort of OP are the norm in the Fifa MM forums.

Interesting start to the thread, the rest, however, along with the other comments in career threads, are giving a very sound reason for not bothering with a careers forum. Charlo and kingdalglish in particular, adding nothing but spam to the thread.

Interesting start to the thread, the rest, however, along with the other comments in career threads, are giving a very sound reason for not bothering with a careers forum. Charlo and kingdalglish in particular, adding nothing but spam to the thread.

But hopefullly these two are the minority.

Without wanting to add to the 'spam' as you put it, if this was in it's own forum then obviously some moderation would kick into place to prevent such posts. As it's in GD then it isn't going to be modded to stop those kind of posts.

Judging by the 3 career threads that have popped up on GD, it seems the general consensus is that people like them so far, which in my opinion gives a very sound reason FOR bothering with a careers forum. Again, sorry to 'spam' the thread. ;)

Just so you know, in the second post it might worth changing the european qualification details. The UEFA Cup has had a format change and is now called the 'UEFA Europa League', and as well as two English teams qualifying as you mentioned, a third English team also goes to the final qualifying round (Fulham IRL).

Without wanting to add to the 'spam' as you put it, if this was in it's own forum then obviously some moderation would kick into place to prevent such posts. As it's in GD then it isn't going to be modded to stop those kind of posts.

Judging by the 3 career threads that have popped up on GD, it seems the general consensus is that people like them so far, which in my opinion gives a very sound reason FOR bothering with a careers forum. Again, sorry to 'spam' the thread. ;)

Why have you put spam in inverted commas? It's quite obvious that the type of post that I am referring to is distinctly different to a majority of the other posts and especially yours, so it's no spam as I put it, but obvious spam. :confused:

Anyway, while I agree that mods would enforce the rules in this new forum, they would have their work cut out and there would need to be some serious modding going on. Wouldn't you agree?

Actually, how would you moderate it? Some off topic chat is ok, but not other stuff. Banter is ok, but not going too far. A very difficult job imo.

Why have you put spam in inverted commas? It's quite obvious that the type of post that I am referring to is distinctly different to a majority of the other posts and especially yours, so it's no spam as I put it, but obvious spam. :confused:

Anyway, while I agree that mods would enforce the rules in this new forum, they would have their work cut out and there would need to be some serious modding going on. Wouldn't you agree?

Actually, how would you moderate it? Some off topic chat is ok, but not other stuff. Banter is ok, but not going too far. A very difficult job imo.

I think the LLM forum is a good example for want we want to be honest. It is basically the same thing but has very strict rules. Also FMS is a good examples of the modding needed

Sorry to spam people

Just so you know, in the second post it might worth changing the european qualification details. The UEFA Cup has had a format change and is now called the 'UEFA Europa League', and as well as two English teams qualifying as you mentioned, a third English team also goes to the final qualifying round (Fulham IRL).

As I am starting in the 08/09 season the UEFA cup still runs in the first season but your right to say that I should change the qualifying part under league info and thanks for that:thup:

I think the LLM forum is a good example for want we want to be honest. It is basically the same thing but has very strict rules. Also FMS is a good examples of the modding needed

Sorry to spam people

FMS is not a good example, FMS is limited in rules i.e. as long as there is a story line and no pics, otherwise you can write what you want, whether anyone takes any notice is another thing.

What's with this, sorry to spam, stuff. The assumption seems to be that I was complaining about replies in general, rather than deliberately off topic posts that only served to encourage oneupmanship, if so, you're sorely mistaken and I suggest you re-read my original post.

Without getting into an arguement and taking this thread further off topic, you have clearly taken my post the wrong way and replied in a very defensive nature. It was posted that way to indicate your feelings about the replies hence the inverted commas.

As for the modding rules, it has only been touched upon briefly in another thread but it is agreed that some modding would be needed...however, as you say, a very difficult job but something i'm sure can be decided upon IF a forum is created.

I've got a question for everyone:

I've already completed 2 seasons in this game so should I post a review for each season?

OR

Post quarterly updates like planned for the 2 seasons and for each season onwards?

The quarterly updates would be like updates for Summer, then into Autumn, Winter etc.

Quarterly updates, you can go into more depth, as if you try to write a season update you will be worried about it looking like a wall of text and a season update would probably be too long for most people to be bothered reading. In FMS I have two stories, In Guus We Trust is match by match and quite brief, it has had far more replies than my longer, in depth story, Buy Me A Drink And I'll Tell You A Story.

I've got a question for everyone:

I've already completed 2 seasons in this game so should I post a review for each season?

OR

Post quarterly updates like planned for the 2 seasons and for each season onwards?

The quarterly updates would be like updates for Summer, then into Autumn, Winter etc.

Personally, i would prefer to see quarterly updates then that way it wouldn't clutter up the thread and would make it easier to follow. Plus, it would combat some of the calls of 'people posting to bump up their post count'.

Quarterly updates, you can go into more depth as if you try to write a season update you will be worried about it looking like a wall of text and a season update would probably be too long for most people to be bothered reading. In FMS I have two stories, In Guus We Trust is match by match and quite brief, it has had far more replies than my longer, in depth story, Buy Me A Drink And I'll Tell You A Story.

Quarterly it is then, btw I've seen one guy in FMS with five stories on the go.

Another question should I write it like 'I struggled against Arsenal' in first person or like 'United struggled against Arsenal in third person?

Quarterly it is then, btw I've seen one guy in FMS with five stories on the go.

Another question should I write it like 'I struggled against Arsenal' in first person or like 'United struggled against Arsenal in third person?

It depends how you want to tell your career. If it's from a personal point of view then obviously "I struggled...". From a thrid person point of view then "United struggled". However, in my career write ups so far i've used both as i've documented my career in the form of a newspaper with both mine and the journalists points of view.

It depends how you want to tell your career. If it's from a personal point of view then obviously "I struggled...". From a thrid person point of view then "United struggled". However, in my career write ups so far i've used both as i've documented my career in the form of a newspaper with both mine and the journalists points of view.

I was thinking of doing it 3rd person in a man utd magazine format.

I was thinking of doing it 3rd person in a man utd magazine format.

Sounds good and there's no reason why you couldn't add quotes from yourself as the manager too, just to add a different dimension to where it's being told from. Get some updates posted :thup:

Great posts Hursty :thup: I like the way that you incorporate all of the happenings at the club while still giving quick match reports. Not to mention the graphics, it makes it a whole more enjoyable read IMO. :thup:

Can i ask what program you use to 'make' your Man Utd Mag?

Great posts Hursty :thup: I like the way that you incorporate all of the happenings at the club while still giving quick match reports. Not to mention the graphics, it makes it a whole more enjoyable read IMO. :thup:

Can i ask what program you use to 'make' your Man Utd Mag?

PAINT:o:D

Seems to be working, I just have a seperate paint open to make the graphics.

PAINT:o:D

Seems to be working, I just have a seperate paint open to make the graphics.

Well it's doing the job! Great work! Enjoying the read so far and liking the quick, concise match reports too.

Well it's doing the job! Great work! Enjoying the read so far and liking the quick, concise match reports too.

Even the short match reports are taking forever because I've already completed two seasons I have to keep switching between reports because I can't remember what happened ha.

Might notice that I've deleted a number of posts at the top end of this thread. Quite simply, they were bickering comments that are better off in OTF or FF, rather than spoiling a thread where the OP hursty2, has put a great deal of effort into what looks like being a very entertaining thread.

It's early days with this forum yet, but threads like this give it potential, so long as they stay on topic as much as possible. :)

BTW hursty2, I'm loving the presentation style you're using for this, but you forgot someone very important at Old Trafford...

46132499-soccer-barclays-premier-league-manchester-united-v-everton-old-trafford.jpg

... Fred the Red of course!

Might notice that I've deleted a number of posts at the top end of this thread. Quite simply, they were bickering comments that are better off in OTF or FF, rather than spoiling a thread where the OP hursty2, has put a great deal of effort into what looks like being a very entertaining thread.

It's early days with this forum yet, but threads like this give it potential, so long as they stay on topic as much as possible. :)

BTW hursty2, I'm loving the presentation style you're using for this, but you forgot someone very important at Old Trafford...

46132499-soccer-barclays-premier-league-manchester-united-v-everton-old-trafford.jpg

... Fred the Red of course!

I guess I'll have to include him in the next update then ;)

Archived