Do you have any rules you play by?

I do know we've had threads like this before, but I'm looking for some inspiration for a new game. So,

Do you have any rules you follow when you play the game?

Or do you have some rules on just once save?

For example, do you sell all your player after they reach 30?

Do you sell for a set value?

Fire away!

I rarely have players above the age of 30, unless they are world class.

I always make sure my team is well represented by players ofthe nationality that my team is based in.

I never buy players over 27, I am always looking ahead.

I do know we've had threads like this before, but I'm looking for some inspiration for a new game. So,

Do you have any rules you follow when you play the game?

I try to play as realistically as possible using my own tactics, training and ideas based on real life.

I don't make unrealistic loan signings or anything like that.

I always start from the bottom division in the country (or countries) I am managing in.

I prefer to focus on youth but usually in the divisions where I manage, I sign whatever I can!

Sometimes I have a one club career where I start at the bottom and work my way up the divisions. I tend to promote local youth players as much as I can. I like to imagine that my club is a community club, so I always try to keep a local element in the first team.

Other times, I start a journeyman career game and each club I manage becomes a 'project'. I decide upon a goal with the club, aim to complete it and then move on to another club. I'm playing for myself and aiming to get to the top as soon as I can. In this kind of game, I don't care about anything but glory.

That's about it really.

C.

I play by loads of rules, which is a bit sad I guess but keeps the game realistic.

No player is without price, I accept an offer for a key player if its 5x the player's value, 4x for first team, 3x for rotation or hot prospect. But backup and 'decent young player' status- their price is their price, if I get an offer I take it (provided they're expendable, if I only have a key player and a young player for one position I don't want to lose my reserve).

I don't pick anyone with fitness below 92%, unless I literally have to (injury/suspension etc).

No11 is always a Winger.

In the pre-season squad number registration, I pick a new youth player, depending on coach reports, position etc, and give him no36. If he plays well first season he gets no28 in his second season.

Goalkeepers can only be no1, 13, 26, 29, 30, 32 and anything 34-38.

Full backs are always no2 or an odd number.

I'm a bit sad really aren't I? :D

brightonrock - Like you, I've got a thing about squad numbers. I always try to use traditional English squad numbers for 4-4-2.

1 - GK

2, 3 - fullbacks

5, 6 - central defenders

4, 8 - central midfielders

7, 11 - right and left wide players

10 - most creative forward

9 - goal scoring forward

12-16 subs

C.

besides numbers i only use rules in spain or italy

In spain i use mostly spainish with a few south americans (i choose whether to become a brazilian or argentine club)

while in itlay it is italians with a few south americas( same as before)

In england it is whatever goes

I like to have Nationality Rules, 1/2 the starting squad has to be from the country that I am managing and 1 player in the squad must be Canadian.

I also dont put the clauses such as "International Apps","Games Played" and "Goals Scored" when I know that I am going to be leaving the club or if its a short term pickup.

I dont sign players on Free Transfers then sell them straight after for easy profit. I wait a season.

And why the fetish over youth? I can understand having a few but I would rather have players with more experience in my starting XI

i csn remember back in CM1, me and my friend, having mastered the game made rules for eachother - one was that we couldn't have a tactic with a striker. right attacking forward was only allowed.

Otherwise, i generally keep to rules of realism - or fun.

Nice topic

I don't pick anyone below 90% fitness.

I only accept offers for my players if I have a huge debt or if I can buy someone better than my player in the same position for the price I sold mine and in order I'm still going to have extra money after that.

I don't sign any foreign players if I'm playing on a country that there is rules about max foreigners.

brightonrock - Like you, I've got a thing about squad numbers. I always try to use traditional English squad numbers for 4-4-2.

1 - GK

2, 3 - fullbacks

5, 6 - central defenders

4, 8 - central midfielders

7, 11 - right and left wide players

10 - most creative forward

9 - goal scoring forward

12-16 subs

C.

Mine is highly ritualised :D

1 = First-choice GK

31 = Second-choice GK

2,4,6,8 = Central Defenders

3,7,13 = Fullbacks or Wingbacks

12 = Utility Player

5 = Young Striker

9 = Best Striker

10,11 = Striker

15 = Centre-Forward

19 = Creative Playmaker

24 = Best Central Midfielder

22 = Best Young Midfielder

27 = Best Attacking Midfielder

40+ = Youth Team

1. The players who are 29 or turning 30 during the summer transfer window will be sold, even the Top Class ones

2. At least 2-3 youth players (aged 17-20) are brought up with the senior squad

3. Backup keeper will play (national) Cup matches

4. I don't buy players I dislike in real life

5. I do tend to have many (too many?) Scandinavian players in my team

6. but at the same time, I try to preserve the "national identity" of the team I manage. e.g. if I'm managing an English team, I'll buy English players whenever I can. I'm no fan of "multinational teams"

7. Only 1 "undo" (aka, reloading the game) per session, and only when AI is blatantly cheating

About squad numbers... it depends on the team, but...

7 and 11 are the best wingers (R and L)

10 is always the most gifted AMC

12 (if not a keeper) is the one who can play pretty much everywhere

14 is the best striker

15 is a talented MC

17 is the backup winger

20 21 and 22 go to Super Subs or to versatile players

And then, I use the y.o.b. number for youth players.

When I don't have a player "good enough" to play with some of the aforementioned numbers, I just go with randomish numbers.

I rarely have players above the age of 30, unless they are world class.

I never buy players over 27, I am always looking ahead.

:confused:

No matter what club I am I always accept a realistic offer for a player, none of this holding out for £20m because the value system is fooked.

I don't use a specifice set of rules, but I try to sign players from the nationality of the country that I am managing in and I also allow myself to sign alot of players from my native country once I get to a level that I can send my scout to that country.

My squadnumbering is a whole ritual dating back to a game where I managed 5 different teams in one save and now it helps me to keep track of position-battles.

lowest number is starter, then rotation-player, followed by reserves/youth

1, 23, 32 - GK

2, 12, 22 - DR

3, 13, 33 - DL

4, 14, 24 - DC(right footed)

5, 15, 25 - DC (left footed)

6, 16, 26 - (D)MC

7, 17, 27 - Winger (right-side)

8, 18, 28 - MC

9, 19, 29 - Striker

10, 20, 30 - Creative players (AMC/FC depending on tactic)

11, 21, 31 - Winger (left-side)

Remaining numbers are given out on a 1st come, 1st serve basis starting at 34.

Concerning transfer-offers, every player has a value for me and I will sell them if I can get an offer that matches that value.

I always sell players when they hit 30:

* Provided I spent a lot of money on them (I recently bought a 29 yr old Arshavin for about £1.5m, so I don't worry about recouping any money)

* They can be replaced. I must have a replacement signing lined up, as I have a tendency to make terrible "panic buy" signings.

I never spend money if it'll take the balance below a certain value (which I set each season depending on that season's starting balance)

I always have two full team selections, and only swap players due to injuries, or condition < 95%

I always try and pick my first 11 and give them number 1-11. 12 is always my reserve keeper. I then give 13-22 to the rest of the squad. I have 22 players in the squad, making sure I have 2 11's.

No players above 30 apart from keeper.

Ass man to do all press conferences and team talks, as well as arrange friendlies.

Gnerally always play 4231 formation.

I always try to buy Laurito. Also at the end of 1st season, Bosko Jankovic on a free.

I always get rid of players in reserves, youth that have no chance of making the first team.

I try to find better coaches.

I use the corner bug, even though I have never had a CB score more than 5 in a season...

I always try to have my first 11 in the "natural" positions so all dots are light green,,

OMG Im sooo sad....!

• Don't sign players over 31
  • Don't buy players over 28
  • 33 is usually the latest age I will faze a player out
  • Never use the the number 13 shirt
  • Try to offload unsettled or troublesome players as soon as possible.
  • Players have to be above 92% to start a game
  • Don't allow my opinions of how i feel about players in real life to affect in game decisions.
  • Would never accept Hearts or England.
  • I look to bargains rather than big money buys I just find it much easier so I play to my strength.

Archived