Playing as a tight defensive unit

When you see teams like man utd defend the ball they are in a tight unit where no one leaves their position until someone attempts a run then they tackle the ball and the attack etc.

my question is how would you advise i set my team up so they keep tight as a defensive unit.

My thoughts in general are little closing down, little creative freedom, low defensive line. but this kind of contradicts my attacking settings where i want to be high defensive line a lot of closing down and normal CF with certain players on more.

I know there has to be middle ground on it I just dont know where it is

What would you all suggest.

When you see teams like man utd defend the ball they are in a tight unit where no one leaves their position until someone attempts a run then they tackle the ball and the attack etc.

my question is how would you advise i set my team up so they keep tight as a defensive unit.

My thoughts in general are little closing down, little creative freedom, low defensive line. but this kind of contradicts my attacking settings where i want to be high defensive line a lot of closing down and normal CF with certain players on more.

I know there has to be middle ground on it I just dont know where it is

What would you all suggest.

Your instincts are correct - "keeping it tight" would involve little closing down, and little creative freedom, and ideally a global mentality for your "defensive unit," although, I'm not quite sure what framework/tactical system you prefer to play with.

The one thing I would argue is that a low/deep defensive line is not necessary. Depending on your opponent, if they play through the middle, playing a bit narrower, with zonal marking, and a higher defensive line (i.e. higher end of "normal" or lower "push up" setting), would lead to their attacking options through the middle being stifled, and your could then keep your attacking system, etc. as is. If they prefer attacking with width and down the flanks, a high line with narrow settings could work, although I would recommend using man marking on their full-backs and wingers, that way your overall team setting would be compact in the middle, but your would have your fullbacks and wide midfielders (this is, of course, assuming both teams are playing with a 4-4-2) tracking their wide players, while the core of your team would be keeping to their positions, and packing the middle of the pitch.

Just as a disclaimer, this is a very general overview, and should be taken only on a very superficial basis, as there are numerous other variables that need to be taken into account (i.e. your attacking system, opponent attributes and formation, etc.). Hope this helps, and FYI, you might get a bit better of a response in the "Tactics and Training Tips" forum, rather than the General Discussion. :)

i would suggest playing a strong DM just in front of the back four who can do some defensive work of his own, but ideally once the defence ahs been done, he would get the move started again.

Like a Michael Essien. Roy keane is the perfect example of this

(y)

Archived