Should there be a Goalkeeper "Penalty saving" attribute?

Should goalkeepers have a "penalty saving" attribute?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Should goalkeepers have a "penalty saving" attribute?

• Yes
    • No

I think some keepers are exceptionally good at saving penalties, more so than their attributes would indicate (i.e. reflexes). Just like field players have a penalty taking attribute, which could have been made up of technique, finishing, composure, etc.

What do you think?

No, I don't think it's necessary.

All of the necessary elements of a keeper doing well in penalties are already included in their base stats. Personally, I also believe that the penalty-taking stat for outfield players could also be removed.

good point from balthazars, either the goalkeepers should be given a penalty saving stat or outfield players should have their penalty taking stat removed. Personally i'd prefer for the goalkeepers to be given a penalty saving stat and for outfield players to keep their penalty taking stat because otherwise it could be too difficult to judge how good different players are at taking penalties and a penalty saving stat makes a lot of sense when you watch some goalkeepers who are particularly good at saving penalties.

Very good suggestion and to those of you who say that the penalty saving attribute is covered by existing criteria take a look at Shay Given. He has fantastic reflexes and shot stopping ability during play, but he cannot transfer this to penalties and has saved very few over the years, same goes for Cech.

Reina on the other hand is a renowned penalty stopper, as was Mark Crossley in his day despite not being a wonderful keeper otherwise.

No need for it in my opinion.

You can't compare taking a penalty and saving a penalty. How can you give a Goalkeeper an attribute when he has no idea what the striker is going to do? Giving an attribute to quantify the unknown is pretty daft. Of course you could also argue that it should be taken away from the taker too and leave the other attributes to decide whether he's successful or not. But that's a tricky aspect deciding on what justifies a good penalty taker. You'll see some goalies save no penalties for years, then save a couple in 1 match (Tim Howard vs Man Utd FA Cup?).

David Unsworth used to smash our penalties for Everton.. yet Lionel Messi takes them for Barcelona? You couldn't find more polar opposities, which is probably where the Penalty taking attribute comes in since relying on technical attributes alone isn't realistic and even some of the most skillfull attackers have average mental attributes.

No, I don't think it's necessary.

All of the necessary elements of a keeper doing well in penalties are already included in their base stats. Personally, I also believe that the penalty-taking stat for outfield players could also be removed.

That's kinda where I'm getting at. It's a matter of whether one considers that it takes more than a combination of attributes to make a good penalty taker (or "saver" :D). i.e. Would any two players with the same "attributes" for finishing, technique, composure and pressure have the same ability at taking penalties?

I thought eccentricity plays a part in a goalkeeper's penalty saving abilities. I find my eccentric GK saves more penalties than my other one because he puts off the penalty taker by doing silly moves (a la Dudek) which breaks their concentration.

Obvoiusly saving penalities as a keeper is alot mentality isnt it? So would a penalty saving attribute mean that he is good saving penalties physically or does it mean the overall goodness in his penalty saving, like pressure situations or something...

It would work just like the penalty taking attribute. It would still be affected by other attributes (reflexes, pressure, concentration off the top of my head) the same way penalty taking is.

I agree there should be an attribute for penalty saving, although I doubt it would make any difference for human controlled managers as in the 6 months I have been playing I could count on 1 hand how many saves I have seen from all the keepers I have had.

There is a hidden attribute for this set in the database.

That's settled then. But shouldn't it be in the profile, as it's not hidden in real life if a keeper's good / bad at saving penalties? For instance, it's publicly known Reina's pretty good at stopping them...

Archived