What does tutoring actually do?

From my understanding it improves a players mental attributes, more than anything, but can also improve some other attributes. Tutoring a player can also help to change personality traits e.g if you have a determined player tutoring a youngster who is ambitious, it can help influence the youngster to become more of a determined player.

There may be more to it than that but that's my thoughts on tutoring anyways. :)

Very beneficial to CA development. One example so maybe just coincidence (other forum members report similar effects though).

Player A: 17-18, plays reserve football, no first team exposure

First 6 months gains 4 CA points.

Next 6 months tutored (unsuccessfully but not with a fallout) gains 11 CA points.

Gains 15 CA points total

Player B: 18-19, on loan to Championship side

Plays 35 matches for a team who finish 6th

Gains 7 CA points total

I've never been able to match personality types in my tutoring. So I only try it a couple of times a year (never had a wonderkid, either, which is a story for another thread). What kinds of personality types work well with each other?

Whoa, 10-3 asks for help from the GD forum? :D

From my own experiences, personality types are a real hit and miss. I've matched up players that are noted as being 'similar types of players' and had them at each other's throats by the end of the tutoring period, but I've also had the same type of situation result in players having a huge love-in.

I think generally poor temperement, high-ego players should avoid the tutoring process (either offering it or being tutored).

It is a bit hit and miss, but you have a good chance if you go for a tutor who is listed in the tutees personal screen/good relationships. He also needs to play in the same position.

Successful tutoring increases the hidden personality attributes and determination, along with PPMs. Some of the hidden atts such as ambition and professionalism are crucial for increasing CA.

tutoring even with same personalitys is nearly ALWAYS fallouts. out of a whole batch of academy players only 1 or 2 would say they actually benifited and not fall out.

maybe its only meant to be used sparingly :-s

I have never had much luck apart from slight improvements where a player felt he learnt some mental stuff.

The same with suggesting a move. If I suggest the my 17 year old striker should try toplace his shots - he comes back ack with a saucepan on his head, banging it with a wooden spoon.

Surely, a highly regarded manager IRL would be listened to at least. Ie. Player X, 17 year old, has decided to try an place shots under manager instruction. 3 months later, Coach believes, Player X is or is not placing shots better.

I can see it working or not working but it seems like nobody actually ever listens to anybody.

ive noticed that the determination of the youngster goes down when tutoring if they dont like each other.

Wrong, the determination goes down because the tutor has a lower determination than the tutee.

As has been said a large part of tutoring is about hidden mentality stats.

The only one you can see without an editor is determination so you need to gauge from a players personality type and coach reports.

Lyssien's personality guide gives you a base to work from while coach reports can hint as to some of the other stats eg pressure.

The tutees mentality stats move in the direction of the tutors stats which mean people usually look for more professional and determined players to mentor others.

tutoring is too unpredictable in my experience. In my latest game as Arsenal, i brought back Vierra to the club, and then also bought back Muamba. Muamba already had Vierra listed as favoured personnel, they play in same position and have similar personalities. Perfect i think, now Muamba can learn from Vierra and improve the mental side of his game. Wrong! the tutoring didn't work, and although the fallout wasn't too bad, Muamba no longer has Vierra in his favoured personnel. So yeah, I'm starting to think the whole tutoring thing is far too unpredictable.

As has been said a large part of tutoring is about hidden mentality stats.

The only one you can see without an editor is determination so you need to gauge from a players personality type and coach reports.

Lyssien's personality guide gives you a base to work from while coach reports can hint as to some of the other stats eg pressure.

The tutees mentality stats move in the direction of the tutors stats which mean people usually look for more professional and determined players to mentor others.

Thank you for this. I don't use editors so I have been guessing quite a bit when it comes to this part of the game. I'll give it a look. Much appreciated!

I only do tutoring on the lowest level. ("State that you think....can learn from...)

I find that whenever I think I've found the perfect tutor - great personality, perfect PPMs - for a young star, and say as much, then they always fall out.

I think there's a greater risk/greater reward element with the levels. I may, of course, simply be reading too much into coincidence, but that's what I've found.

With the bottom level, they never say that they were really happy with the experience - you usually get "was a little disappointed, but managed to learn a little mentally" - but if you have a professional squad then you can run them through 2 or 3 tutors to achieve an overall big effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Most people are keen to know how exactly tutoring affects youngsters however my question is quite the opposite; does tutoring have a negative impact on the tutor's stats? Whether this be in general or if they fall out wth each other or by any other means?

I'm wondering this because in an earlier game with Man Utd I had Ronaldo tutor Nani and a few months or so later lots of Ronaldos stats had decreased, some mental some technical; now this may be due to some other totally different incident such as injury I can't remember it too well was quite a while ago now. Anyone had any experience of this or does it not affect the tutor at all? :thup:

Tutoring is 90% successful for me. The youngster usually picks up at least 1-2 moves and quite often becomes more determined. I had one very promising DC which had the personality of "Unambitious" which would have been a a waste. So I said Coloccini (then a seasoned veteran on my team) would make a great role model. 9-10 months later, he's "Fairly Determined".

Most people are keen to know how exactly tutoring affects youngsters however my question is quite the opposite; does tutoring have a negative impact on the tutor's stats? Whether this be in general or if they fall out wth each other or by any other means?

It shouldn't affect the tutors' attributes. The negative impact is on their morale which can be tricky to rectify but can be done with good man-management.

Perhaps the Assman or someone else from the coaching staff could suggest in advance whether he thinks the proposed linking would work out well? I.e. you go onto the younger player's interaction screen, and as you select the tutor from the dropdown list, the Assman might say "Chris Hughton thinks Joey Barton would not be a good role model for Samuel Ameobi" (as an example), or what have you. That would get rid of a lot of the guesswork on the part of the player.

Given that even an "unsuccessful" tutoring linkage can increase CA - as isuckatfm's post indicates - I've taken to making sure that every halfway decent youth in my system gets at least one tutoring attempt in his career development path. It has joined "loan out to play competitive football" as a valid option for a player who won't get a single match of first-team action for me in a given season.

In general, every promising youth I have is either out on loan, or being tutored, and I try to keep my best players involved in some form of tutoring at all times. FlareFM - I haven't noticed any negative impact on my mentors. The only negative I have noticed is the occasional e-mail about a personality conflict between mentor X and tutee Y if they have had a spectacular falling-out; it hasn't been a problem, as usually I am willing to simply sell Y on as a "not working out in my side" failure in that case. Its better than displacing an established first-teamer, in my opinion.

What about the 3 different tutoring options?

I can't remember them exactly but it's like 'can learn from' 'ideal role model' etc.

Do these make any difference?

It changes the likelihood of the tutoring being successful and also the magnitude of the gains (with role model being the least likely to succeed but producing best results).

I kind of agree with both sides of the argument, from my experience. I have had great success at times - for instance, Thierry Henry is almost ALWAYS a great tutor (must be his personality) - and horrible failures at others. Because a lot of it is based upon the hidden attributes, it can be very hard to match players up, unless you cheat and use an editor, which kind of defeats the object. It should be possible - maybe specific coach reports - to get an assessment of who would partner whom well.

I have also noticed - very rarely, so don't get too excited - that some coaches DO actually state the x would be a good tutor for a player in their coaching report. This seems to have more of a chance of success, but then again it may just be wishful thinking on my part.

I have always tried tutoring my promising prospects. The worst I've had happen is the "...was slightly disappointed but gained a little...", and at best the tutee has learned a lot and adds the tutor as favored personnel. I try to offer youngsters more than one tutor, if I have enough in my first team who play well, are in good regard with the team, share a language with the kid, etc. Personality matters somewhat, I bet, if a player has negative things like "unsporting" maybe he passes those on or the two fall out.

Does anyone know if successful tutoring contributes to a teams' togetherness as a whole? I know it boosts players morale.

Does anyone know if successful tutoring contributes to a teams' togetherness as a whole? I know it boosts players morale.

It does, yes, because a successful tutor might get added to the youngster's fav personnel list and if they're on the pitch together it increases team gelling/blending.

Archived