Sentiment

Anyone else find that they're driven to strange sentimental feelings towards the electronic representations of players that they have?

I'll give you an example:

I managed to get Gateshead from BSN to League 2. So far, so good. When in League 2 I signed a young Brazilian forward who banged in enough goals to see me rise to League 1 and then The Championship.

We then got promoted to the Premiership, and because of his exploits I received a £1m bid for him. Now to me, that was a lot of money at that time so I felt compelled to accept even though the player himself didn't really want to go, and I was gutted that I never let him play for us in the Premiership as I felt he deserved it for his exploits in the lower leagues. But I desperately needed the money for team building.

So off he went, and he spent 6 years at Treviso scoring goals for them as we went on to become a force in the top flight. He was a club legend for Gateshead, always commenting on upcoming games and wishing us well. So when aged 34 he became available on a free transfer, I felt that despite him being past his best and his legs being gone, I had to sign him let him score one goal for us in the Premiership. It only took him 3 home games (I wanted him to score in front of his own fans!), but he's finally found the net for us and now I can retire him to the reserves to see out his contract with us. I took him off 1 minute from time to enjoy the applause of the crowd!

Linkage to player history, including player name for those squeamish about such things:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/919/scoredq.jpg

So, anyone done anything daft and sentimental like that? Or am I just soft in the head?

He had a bizarre season with Treviso, from the looks of things. From 2014-2016...

I've done that several times but with players I know have good PPMs or good personalities. I've just taken an old central midfielder back, one of my former players, as he's fairly loyal and professional. I also took Danny Welbeck back once at 36 because he had hilarious PPMs (he was clearly tutored by Rooney and Tévez, inheriting the best and worst of them), although he was never able to pass on the full gamut before he retired as a player.

Tbh, I don't think I would of sold the player in the first place. I like to keep all legends at the club. :o

Didn't have a lot of choice. £1m was a massive bid for a player who cost £45k 3 seasons previously. Also I don't think he could have cut it in the Premier League so much though I liked him and felt I owed him a shot in the Premier League, I had to move him on.

He had a bizarre season with Treviso, from the looks of things. From 2014-2016...

Yes, 3 games in 2 years. Still scored 2 though! But he seemed to really fall out of favour for a while.

Following an injury crisis during which I was pretty much forced to bring him out of the reserves and stick him on the bench, I've decided that I'm going to up the sentimentality here and let the guy play enough games as a sub to qualify him for a league champions medal (Assuming I win the league).

I might similarly put him on for the last 5 minutes in any cup finals I get to. :D

Yep. I get attached to some players too much, and others not at all regardless of how good they are.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/3581/krivets46.jpg

Most extreme example to date. :p

You're in 2046??!! If you've not holidayed through some of it, then well done on that. I thought I was doing well in 2019!

And 38 years at one club, that's some achievement for Krivets.

You're in 2046??!! If you've not holidayed through some of it, then well done on that. I thought I was doing well in 2019!

And 38 years at one club, that's some achievement for Krivets.

I've holidayed the odd match, and at most a month or so. Still going strong though. Ta. :D

I like to offer retiring players who have given good service a job as scout or coach if they want it, even if they are crap. I think it should be good for the fans and players to have an old player back as a coach or Ass Man or even in the role that united have given Bryan Robson irl - Ambassador of Football.

Also, when a legend is retiring, I like to put him out at home for the final game of the season, or in a cup final!

Archived