Pitch size and who does it suit..?

im curious to know what players would be best suited to pitch size?

how would a small pitch benifit a team playing at home as apposed to playing using a large pitch? obviously the better the players the better the team..

also in conjunction with tactics..

in my 1st season at Forest i managed to get Earnshaw to score 20 goals in 25 games, yet the 2nd season i increased the pitch size and it is huge and earnshaw hasnt even had a sniff at goal, i wondering if because he only has 8 for strenght if the pitch is to big for him, but having said that he has played rubbish away on small pitches too..

If my players wasn't up to the task playing on a large pitch how would it benifit them playing on a small pitch, the team is either better than the opponents or not right?

Small pitch means less time on the ball for the players - good if other teams are stronger than you as your team can close down quicker leaving them less time to use their skills.

Larger pitch is good if your team is technically better than others and fitter. Opposition will tire later in the game while your team will have more time & space to create opportunities.

Wide pitch if you play heavily through the wings to stretch the opposition defence, narrow if you don't.

Long pitch aids fast strikers and counter attacks as there is more space behind the defence. You also need to consider the pace of your defenders as well though.

yeh that all kinda makes sence, i didnt see earni get clear once tho, and i still used Tyson and he has 17 for pace and cant say he ever got clear of the defenders either, i used to keep my D-Line dead centre and play offiside and wide as im using a wide pitch.. my top scorer was a defender with 12 with goals from corners..

im wondering why earnie suddenly became so obsolete? any suggestions?

TT&F states that a small pitch suits a wide style of play and that a large pitch suits a narrow style. At least I think it does anyway. Kind of goes against common belief on the issue and goes against what the game itself states when it says the likes of "The pitch at ____ is narrow and would suit a team that plays through the middle. Wide players will struggle to make an impact"

I made my pitch (arsenal) small and I tend to use a little width (around 13/14/15 notches) and play a shortish passing-style. I am doing well but would also like to know if I could be doing better by implementing proper width/tempo/passing instructions to suit my pitch and so I can correct my pitch size next season to suit my style of play

yeh iv read somthing like that, but on a small pitch i woudl assume playing wide as possible would be good to free up what little bit of space there was?? but i understand wingers not making an impact as there would be no free space to run into?

small pitch and narrow surly mean conjestion charges and no free space to pass the ball?

what's little earni's stamina like? If he now has to run an extra 20 yds or so it could be knackering his little legs! Also, are you playing the ball to feet or head when you should be playing it for him to run on to? Are you using thru balls? Is he running in the channels? Is he trying to break the offside trap? There are a lot of reasons why.

If you have always played to feet and he shoots from the edge of the box or so, he will now be further away from goal when he gets the ball so are his long shots up to scratch?

Archived