101 pts - not good enough!

League table

Perhaps this is has happen to others but I thought this was quite amazing. Except for a few bad days infront of the goal, this season has been my best on this save. Quite frankly it's been an amazing season, but still I'm two points short.

I'm not complaining though. Frankly I can only blame myself because 5 of the players and 3 of the key players in Arsenal season was players I sold to them. Bernardo, who I sold to Arsenal for £40m at the start of the season, scored a late equalizer in our tie at Emirates. It was bound to happen.

We've been sharing the title every other year. The last time they won they got 99 points. Good for me then that the wily old Wenger has decided to retire at the end of this season.

I should add: I beat them at Villa Park, so I was the only one that beat them and in total took 4 points against them in the two league games.

Has anything like this happened to you?

In my experience over time teams score much more points

such as in season 1 -- winner will have 85 points

season 2 -- 92

3 -- 97

season 4 -- beating the century

once i saw cardiff win league 1 with 122 points

i got 112 that season and still came 2nd

i cant work out where the points are lost

to bottom teams get even less as time goes on or is it mid table where they suffer?

Kind of reminds me of my old Xerez game where rivals Betis finished La Liga with 34 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses to me. The title was basically conceded after I lost twice and got my 3rd draw...

I have a theory that when a human managed team is in a league, one AI managed team will score way more points than they would do if the human wasn't managing in that league.

At the moment I'm in the Norwegian First Division with Tromso and have played 16 matches out of 30 so far and have won 13 and drawn 3. I'm second though. Both myself and the leaders SFK Sparta are set to score around 80 points. The maximum in 6 previous seasons (before I joined Tromso) in this league was 70 points, and that was a one off as it is normally never more than 60.

In the Championship I twice scored over 90 points, but failed to gain automatic promotion both times. League One and League Two saw teams winning the division with no more than 80 points.

On FM2007 I had a number of seasons where an AI team would seemingly score way more points than usual when in the same league as myself. I've not noticed this every season, but I've seen it happen enough times for it to be more than a coincidence in my mind.

Finally this is not another "the AI cheats" suggestion, just something I've notice in atleast the last 2 versions of FM.

Nothing like this has happened to me but I just wanted to say how it's good that you're not going off on a massive rant like some people on this forum would, saying that the game cheated and everything. You were just majorly unlucky, you'll just have to thrash them to the title next season.

Originally posted by jdc747:

Nothing like this has happened to me but I just wanted to say how it's good that you're not going off on a massive rant like some people on this forum would, saying that the game cheated and everything. You were just majorly unlucky, you'll just have to thrash them to the title next season.

well said icon14.gif

i've had a few seasons where i've lost just one game and won the title by just 2 points, despite getting 6 against each of my rivals. thing is, i just couldn't beat liverpool in the league for 3 years straight, 07/08 they were champions, 08/09, 09/10 i won by 2 points each. however, liverpool were relegated in 09/10, and of course, i won the league comfortably by 12 points that season. it's as if man united and chelsea performed better when liverpool were in the same division.

Originally posted by Sir_Liam:

I have a theory that when a human managed team is in a league, one AI managed team will score way more points than they would do if the human wasn't managing in that league.

Yeh I have noticed this too and it defently needs sorting out its like when a human player is in a league the standards of the league are raised i looked back at a game i had promotions and a relegation in. The teams at the bottom did better and got a higher ammount of points in season i got relegated than 4 other seasons. Also in the seasons i got promoted a similar pattern but with teams at the top. The fact that the points i got placed me 4th yet in 4 other season bothe before and after i was in the league those points would have been good enough to finish top. Its like the league raises its game when the human team is in it.

I'm surprised similar situation has occurred with you guys. Perhaps I don't see if as often because I usually don't play this many seasons when starting in the top division. What !.m.! says about points rising rings true when looking at the history - except for a one season slump, they've risen steadily. It can't go on forever at this rate though icon_smile.gif

My own thoughts on why Arsenal are so good is the fact that Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea are all in debt and haven't really replaced their aging stars.

Wenger haven't sold his key players and has managed to hold on to his best young talents. I've tried to lure the likes of Fabregas and Vela away from him, but he's ask for silly money upwards of £150m. Also, as Arsenal start with a very young squad I would guess they don't suffer as much from quick aging as other clubs does. At least not yet, arrr.

^ At least you got automatic promotion. Imagine being Derby: 96 points and still stuck in the Championship.

For those talking about how when they manage in a league everyone gets higher points can I ask what detail levels you had set before you entered the league?

There seems to be a trend in my game of 'no detail' leagues creating more realistics points tallies than 'full detail' leagues. It might be a consequence of strikers apparently performing better when a league is set to 'full detail' level. So when I enter a league it's detail level changes to full and strikers score more in general.

It's pure coincidence that one team is keeping up with you. There's enough people who experience getting to 2020+ with a great squad walking away with the title year in year out to rubbish the 'overperforming AI to make the title race exciting' theory. It either happens in a consistent, deterministic manner or it doesn't happen at all.

@ eple

Hard luck. That sucks and sucks harder when your computer is slower than a turtle wearing lead shoes. I did the same thing on 07 where running English leagues only meant the only teams with money to spend were my rivals. This combined with my hoovering up of all high potential youngsters meant large sections of their squads were made up of my former players. Bit me in the ass a few times, especially in cup competitions.

I also hate it when you just can't get the better of one manager and find yourself counting the days until he decides to move on or retires. Damn AI super tactics icon_mad.gificon_wink.gif

I like the fact that the AI raises its game if it is a tight battle at the top of the table.

I had it a few times with Aston Villa verses Arsenal in my first few seasons in charges at Villa.

Unfortunately Arsenal can keep pace with me in the early part of the seasons now, but by Christmas my unbeaten run has given me a huge lead.

isuckatfm, I think you're right with the detail level theory on why this happens. In my current Norwegian game, the team at the top is a lot better than most of the league and I see their points tally as realistic considering their quality. The reason they didn't walk away with the league last season can probably be explained by the fact I wasn't managing in Norway at the time so the division wouldn't be on full detail.

The simulation of matches not on full detail definitely needs looking at imo.

That looks about right to me, goodzorr icon14.gif

My Villa side have now won the Champions League 6 times, which also feels right icon_cool.gif

I just can't lose in this competition much thanks to Giuseppe Rossi. He's got 59 goals in 42 CL-games, and I rest him in the easiest matches.

I've noticed that the better you do, the better the AI gets, i think that's fantastic!!

i've gone a couple of years unbeaten now with liverpool, and through the last 2 years Arsenal have gone unbeaten as well!! luckily they draw a couple more times than me so i win the title, but in the years before they started going unbeaten it was often only me that took points of them. wenger has moved on to inter but they are still my number 1 challenger.

hoping to steal a couple of their stars next season!

Archived