Teamtalks

Get rid of teamtalks?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Get rid of teamtalks?

• Yes
    • No
    • Improve them (if so how?)

Does anyone else think they should just be gotten rid off? Its pretty difficult to judge their effect, which is exagerated anyway, and picking from a set menu of five options is hardly simulating real life managment. Managing in the lower leagues especially, you can't just leave it to an assistant as its more than likley they won't be much good at them either. Half time talks are particularly annoying (though maybe only because after-match teamtalks don't mean very much) as it almost seems like a lottery that decides the rest of the game. I'm sure there is a logic behind it but its far from obvious what it is.

They were added in ,what, 2005 or 2006? So the game got by without them. More to the point I don't think they can be significantly improved. Add more options and it just makes the system more complicated. Make players less responsive to a teamtalk and whats the point of having them at all?

Much more options and stoppling the game deciding what the options are

The game isn't human and therefore can't understand the complex nature of a human teamtalk.

Therefore is has to have fixed options with fixed results depending on different parameters.

They shouldn't get rid of them but they can be improved. I've posted on this before...

Type of 'Talk'

This is a simple choice between a one way 'speech' or a two way discussion. Do you want to involve the players or do you just need to drill home a point? I see this feature as giving the players a voice, which they obviously don't currently have. FM already uses events from the match in the assisstant manager feedback widget, for example, and that is how I could see this feature going. They could give feedback on how confident they are or how they are struggling on the pitch.

Tone

Are you aiming for a Ferguson style 'hairdryer' approach or a more symapthetic approach? Do you want to simply encourage your players without going to either extreme? Happy with the team?

This part would be similar to what we have already. This should tell the players your mood and what direction your want your team talk to go down.

Confidence

This is simply focussing on getting the players motivated and confident for the second half. This includes just rollicking them or telling them to forget the first half and focus on the second.

Tactics

This would be more along the lines of reinforcing what the players need to do. I know tactics are already covered in the way they can be totally changed at HT but I'm thinking more along the lines of positive reinforcement. For example, If you're 2-0 down, you could say to your team go out and get an early go then see what happens - or you could emphasise that they have plenty of time to get two goals ie We have 45 minutes that is plenty of time, don't rush. Depending on the player, you would see a different reaction. The first example could put pressure on the team or it could alleviate it depending on how they take it.

Extra Help

This would be similar to letting the assisstant take control but a bit more powerful. I know some managers work with their assisstant to create an effective team talk and I would like to see an option like this in FM. You could either have them takeover completely - which we already have or you could 'team up' with him. Basically, this would allow the AM to have some input too. You could set him up to do one of the two major areas outlined above. He could give the players a run down on tactics and you could do the rousing speech or vice versa.

I also thought of another addition that could be available, before half time. You often see managers follow in their teams but sometimes you see the manager shoot off down the tunnel before the players can get there. This may be a good option when you are playing really poorly, shoot off down the tunnel and be waiting for your players.

Taken from this thread.

Archived