So Many Calls To Become Chairman, But I Want To Move In The Other Direction...

Over the past month or so, there have been a lot of people on here asking for SI to let us become Chairman of our club at the end of our career. I don't think this would be a productive use of SI's time, however, something I think WOULD be a productive use of their time would be to allow us to go in the opposite direction and take up a role as an assistant manager before we move on to full management.

Before you judge it as not having enough in it to be fun, just hear me out.

Firstly, it would make it more real, which is what a lot of people want.

Also, there are lots of features that could be added to make it as fulfilling as (and slightly more frustrating than) full management.

For example, you could be asked to reccommend a team before an upcoming match, you could be asked to create training regimes, renew contracts, etc, all the things we can ask our assistants to do. You could also suggest changes to tactics and substitutions during matches, take charge of team talks. You could also take charge of friendlies and try and prove yourself when your manager has a touchline ban.

It would also provide multiple routes to the top in career games. You could chose to ignore the assistant role and start off as a manager, or you could choose to start of slightly higher at the price of being an assistant. Once in the assistant role, you coukd either go with that for a few years, then go to management or you could do a Carlos Queiroz and stick with a top club as an ass man till the top job comes up.

I think it would be of benefit to those who rely to heavily on their ass man to do their work, I myself have only recently started doing my own training schedules and and still use my ass man's team selections and team talks as a base to build on.

I must point out that if you are taking on an assistant role from starting unemployed then the options should be at slightly higher clubs than the clubs offering you manager roles. This gives players an added incentive to take on this new challenge.

So I think I've said all that needs to be said, so I'll open the floor to all of you, I would not be suprised if this idea is shot down, but I think it offers more than the Chairman idea, and given the effort it would take from SI, it seems to me like a target of bringing this in for FM11 would be reasonable.

So, your thoughts please?

Over the past month or so, there have been a lot of people on here asking for SI to let us become Chairman of our club at the end of our career. I don't think this would be a productive use of SI's time, however, something I think WOULD be a productive use of their time would be to allow us to go in the opposite direction and take up a role as an assistant manager before we move on to full management.

Also, there are lots of features that could be added to make it as fulfilling as (and slightly more frustrating than) full management.

For example, you could be asked to reccommend a team before an upcoming match, you could be asked to create training regimes, renew contracts, etc, all the things we can ask our assistants to do. You could also suggest changes to tactics and substitutions during matches, take charge of team talks. You could also take charge of friendlies and try and prove yourself when your manager has a touchline ban.

It would also provide multiple routes to the top in career games. You could chose to ignore the assistant role and start off as a manager, or you could choose to start of slightly higher at the price of being an assistant. Once in the assistant role, you coukd either go with that for a few years, then go to management or you could do a Carlos Queiroz and stick with a top club as an ass man till the top job comes up.

I think it would be of benefit to those who rely to heavily on their ass man to do their work, I myself have only recently started doing my own training schedules and and still use my ass man's team selections and team talks as a base to build on.

I must point out that if you are taking on an assistant role from starting unemployed then the options should be at slightly higher clubs than the clubs offering you manager roles. This gives players an added incentive to take on this new challenge.

So I think I've said all that needs to be said, so I'll open the floor to all of you, I would not be suprised if this idea is shot down, but I think it offers more than the Chairman idea, and given the effort it would take from SI, it seems to me like a target of bringing this in for FM11 would be reasonable.

So, your thoughts please?

ive seen it mentioned before and many people probably wont like it, but i think it could be a useful feature for some people, and especially people who like LLM, because they could be offered a Ass Man job at a bigger club and fancy the chance to up there rep.

i also think maybe you could be offered a reserve team manager or U18 managers job for clubs?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Archy-91:

I myself have only recently started doing my own training schedules </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can allow your ass man to handle training? How?

On point, I think it would be a decent idea as long as when you are the ass man you are in charge of managing the reserve and u18 teams.

Love the idea, but it would have to be optional. Every version I have a game as Arsenal, and that wont change.

But I have never kept up a career game, because I dont like diving straight in, as IRL this wouldnt happen. Being able to start as an assitant manager would really help.

I would really, really like this, and would even be willing to pay a little bit more if it were implemented!(Shouldnt say that here though, next RRP will be £45!!!)

Great ideaicon_smile.gif

From a personal/selfish point of view, I would never use it and would therefore prefer SI to focus on other areas. I'll admit that the idea offers a lot more than becoming a player or a chairman though; if they were ever going to offer another career option, then I'd hope this would be it.

I certainly prefer this to the idea of being a chairman, but I'm still not sure it would work.

TBH, I really don't think there is enough in the game that the ass man is capable of doing that would make the role enjoyable for more then a short period of time. Sure, you would be able to suggest changes, but ultimatley, you are likely to have little control over what goes on. Maybe it's because the idea doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, but I just don't see the fun remaining for very long.

Yeah forgot to add the reserves/under 18s management as part of it. We don't want it to be bring do we.

As an addititon to this, if we have a bit of rep as an ass man. This could also make the media a bit more interesting and could give you a clue about what you'd be doign should you join a new club.

FOr example, in a media item, it could say :

"Team X have User a role as assistman manager to current manager Manger Y. They feel he would help to develop youth players, due to his success with the Under 18s squad at Team Z"

Just off the top of my head there so I'm sure those little clever-cloggs at SI could do it a good deal better.

I like the idea of being a coach/assistant/U21 manager, not sure what their duties would be though. SI could spend hours and hours and hours of development time coding in things to do as a coach or assistant manager and then have very few people take advantage of it. Let's be honest, most people will dive straight into managing the massive clubs at age 30.

This is quite a good idea, but it won't be to everyone's tastes. As long as it were an option, and not enforced upon the player, I don't see a problem with it.

However, I think that current features (board confidence etc) should be improved upon first before more are added.

I also dont thing becoming Chairman is very interesting. I rather want to see SI improve loyalty problems such as being fired easily regardless to what you did in past. Also more detailed information information on income/outcome and how to affect them in detail would make things more clear. Current game has a lot of unclear features on executive management level.

I can understand why some people would want this feature, but I can see it getting boring very quickly, because you'll quickly get fed up with dishing out advice, only for the manager to completely ignore you.

I also think SI should be spending their time on far more important issues like the transfer market and player/boardroom interaction.

Yeah I think it's a good idea and would add a different dimension to career games. I would go one further and be able to apply for U18, Reserve and U19,U21's etc for international teams.

I would however like to see other areas of the game such as regens, scouting and pre-season greatly improved before this though

Yeah, I agree that it shouldn't take priority over all else and that there are more important things needing fixed before this is even attempted, but as I said, even if SI were to see this and think "whoa yeah man let's do that" (cause they're high apparently) I still wouldn't expect it till 2011 if not later. Most of the issues being raised here as being of more worth have hopefully be fixed by 09, and the latecomers by 2010. Then there will be more problems so maybe another year with it in the background and in 2012 it could be introduced.

I know it's a long way away, but for thing like this to be put in the game (especially something like this which has potential to become a pretty big part of the game (doubt it will but)) then they need to be started years in advance.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As long as it were an option, and not enforced upon the player, I don't see a problem with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah of course, as I said, if I were designing it I would have it that when you started unemployed (as let's face it, it's not going to be utilies by anyone who doesn't do career games) the clubs/countries offering you ass man jobs would have a higher rep than those offering you management jobs. I wouldn't make it impossible to get a management job as it may have came across.

If that was not widely accepted though then I suppose an "Enable Ass Man Mode" tickbox could be added to the startup (perhaps more tastefully named)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I can see it getting boring very quickly, because you'll quickly get fed up with dishing out advice, only for the manager to completely ignore you.

This could be a potential problem and would need to be looked at closely before it was implimented. Ideally it would go on a relationship/stats basis. I.E if it's your first match since getting the job, and you have no experience therefore low stats and no relationship with the manager, then he would be likely to ignore you (frustrating much), but would still listen to you on occasion. Now three months down the line, you're suggestions have helped your team come from a behind to win, and you've generally been pretty competent in your role, then he will listen to you more. Perhaps after two seasons he'll be so impressed that he'll listen to you more often than not, making it even more of a co-manger situation, despite his title being higher than yours.

I think I'd like to play as the grounds keeper. Have some mini-games like cutting the grass and drawing the lines of the pitch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really didn't want to respond to this, but all I'm going to say is that while I can see where your coming from, I think there's a pretty obvious progression from assistant manager to manager, which is why I'm suggesting it be put in the game. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't quite think Alex Ferguson started as a groundsman.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">On a similar front it would be nice to see the option to be offered u21 and u18 international roles again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definately.

Damn inablilty to edit...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I can see it getting boring very quickly, because you'll quickly get fed up with dishing out advice, only for the manager to completely ignore you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This could be a potential problem and would need to be looked at closely before it was implimented. Ideally it would go on a relationship/stats basis. I.E if it's your first match since getting the job, and you have no experience therefore low stats and no relationship with the manager, then he would be likely to ignore you (frustrating much), but would still listen to you on occasion. Now three months down the line, you're suggestions have helped your team come from a behind to win, and you've generally been pretty competent in your role, then he will listen to you more. Perhaps after two seasons he'll be so impressed that he'll listen to you more often than not, making it even more of a co-manger situation, despite his title being higher than yours.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think I'd like to play as the grounds keeper. Have some mini-games like cutting the grass and drawing the lines of the pitch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really didn't want to respond to this, but all I'm going to say is that while I can see where your coming from, I think there's a pretty obvious progression from assistant manager to manager, which is why I'm suggesting it be put in the game. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't quite think Alex Ferguson started as a groundsman.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Archy-91:

So, your thoughts please? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Best suggestion I've heard in ages. Great idea.

I like the idea of under 18/reserve coach, could start off small with under 18's at a big team.

The first team coach/manager could ask advice on young players coming through, and would add realism to judging player potential and working with youngsters ststs.

Think it be ace

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Love the idea, but it would have to be optional. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, of course it would be!

I love the idea. It has been mentioned before but I love having a history in the game rather than just popping up out of nowhere to manage a Prem team. Id like this OR I'd be happy if we could give ourselve a history.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by N^G:

Football Player

Football Assistant Manager

Football Manager

Football Chairman

Wouldn't it be interesting to be able to progress through all of these stages in the game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No it would be rubbish.

Football player, would be a completely different game. I suggest you play Pro-evo before loading up FM and run 15 seasons of it, then 'retire' and load up FM 2008.

Football chairman would be crap, what would you do , sit at board meetings about shareholders and investments all the way through it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Box:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by N^G:

Football Player

Football Assistant Manager

Football Manager

Football Chairman

Wouldn't it be interesting to be able to progress through all of these stages in the game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No it would be rubbish.

Football player, would be a completely different game. I suggest you play Pro-evo before loading up FM and run 15 seasons of it, then 'retire' and load up FM 2008.

Football chairman would be crap, what would you do , sit at board meetings about shareholders and investments all the way through it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey thats REAL life, what elso are chairmans gonna do? Start dancing on the tables or something?

Yea. I really can picture Abrahmovic doing night fever right now.....

Archived