Should I buy a wide screen monitor.....?

I am thinking of buying a wide screen monitor, 20 or 22 inches. I have looked through the forums and found two posts that revealed little or no response, from Hepek on 27.11.08, ahmufcwafc on 25.04.09 and one from Powermonger which had a lot of "pc jargon" which was completely over my head.

Does FM '09 support wide screen as in a plug and play mode or is there some delving into files and such to make it work? I do not have the pc knowledge to enable me to do anything like that. Would I be better served just buying an ordinary 20 or 22 inche flat screen monitor? Kind regards.

FM09 is widescreen compatable and looks great, tbh. Simply need to set the right resolution.

I'm using a 24" widescreen with no problems whatsoever. :)

Thanks Hershie, I am using 1280x 1024 on a flat screen 17" monitor. If I were to get a 20/22" widescreen, what should be the resolution, please?

:thup:

Might be 1280x1024 but I really don't know. I'm using 1680x1050, and I think FM automatically detected it. :)

Weird thing happened with my (new) monitor. By default it ran 1920x1080 and this worked fine. Then Windows Update updated some stuff, and since then that resolution hasn't worked.

Whenever I try to use it, my computer crashes. :confused:

I got myself 20" monitor (Samsung 2032BW) and football manager works fine and its on the max resolution the screen can get (1680x1050). The monitor was cheap but stylish and great picture quality and would recommend it to anyone. :thup:

Don't forget you also have windowed mode, which I used on my widescreen (17" laptop) and find useful. Should always run everything at the native resolution with lcd's. By that I mean if your screen 1680x1050 or 1440x900 you should run it at what the default it, not lower or higher as this usually decreases the visual quality.

Widescreen FM09 is fine, it kind of works but be aware that the info widgets often move for no reason from the screen edges (the bits you gain with widescreen) back into the 4:3 central panel - this happens after tactical changes. It is extremely frustrating and techically means FM09 is NOT fully widescreen compatible! To put it another way, if a DVD player did that you would take it back for a refund. I am 9.02 patched but if SI couldnt fix it by 9.02 I doubt they bothered by 9.03 - though I may be wrong. Having said all that, after the constant widget dragging to the edges of the wide screen it does give that bit of extra visibility centrally that is essential I think.

the info widgets often move for no reason from the screen edges (the bits you gain with widescreen) back into the 4:3 central panel - this happens after tactical changes. It is extremely frustrating and techically means FM09 is NOT fully widescreen compatible!

That's never happened to me on Widescreen - sounds very irritating though :D

Thanks for continuing with this. I have another question. On a bigger monitor do the 3d players appear any bigger? I have a 17" monitor and if the players kits are dark, Hull, for instance, they can be a bit of a pain to look at. The paler kits show up a lot better.

I have a widescreen monitor too, and can vouch for the fantastic look you get in FM, especially if you download a good skin that looks best in widescreen.

I think it would be great if future versions of FM supported multiple (2 would do) monitors. Just imagine having your squad on one screen and search on another - make trawling for new players so much easier! BTW - I do know this will never happen as the "market" for the change is very small, so fiar enough. Would be great though!

BTW - my PC just crashed (NOT FM's fault). I'm gutted, I was going for a personal best - it has been "up" for 74 days! And they say Vista is buggy!

Ghost!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for continuing with this. I have another question. On a bigger monitor do the 3d players appear any bigger? I have a 17" monitor and if the players kits are dark, Hull, for instance, they can be a bit of a pain to look at. The paler kits show up a lot better.

Please forgive my "bumping" this post. Can anyone tell me whether the 3d players are bigger with a 20" widescreen monitor than with a 17" fst normal monitor or is it that just the screen is bigger, thereby giving more room for everything and the pitch etc remain the same original size?

I think it would be great if future versions of FM supported multiple (2 would do) monitors.

To be honest, if they put that in I think it would get used a fair bit. I have my laptop, and then a desktop computer - if you could use multiple monitors I'd plug my laptop in to my desktop's screen and play it that way. Especially now that modern TVs are almost all VGA compatible, I'd say it's definitely worth looking at.

Widescreen FM09 is fine, it kind of works but be aware that the info widgets often move for no reason from the screen edges (the bits you gain with widescreen) back into the 4:3 central panel - this happens after tactical changes. It is extremely frustrating and techically means FM09 is NOT fully widescreen compatible! To put it another way, if a DVD player did that you would take it back for a refund. I am 9.02 patched but if SI couldnt fix it by 9.02 I doubt they bothered by 9.03 - though I may be wrong. Having said all that, after the constant widget dragging to the edges of the wide screen it does give that bit of extra visibility centrally that is essential I think.
I have a widescreen monitor too' date=' and can vouch for the fantastic look you get in FM, especially if you download a good skin that looks best in widescreen.

I think it would be great if future versions of FM supported multiple (2 would do) monitors. Just imagine having your squad on one screen and search on another - make trawling for new players so much easier! BTW - I do know this will never happen as the "market" for the change is very small, so fiar enough. Would be great though!

BTW - my PC just crashed (NOT FM's fault). I'm gutted, I was going for a personal best - it has been "up" for 74 days! And they say Vista is buggy!

Ghost![/quote']

I have that annoying widget thing aswell happen to me on mine. No idea it was to do with the monitor though. I like to keep them along the top of the screen and after certain changes it moves them from top to the middle. Now I just use like two of them cause i got annoyed having to keep putting 4-5 back every time I made a change.

I would also love dual monitor support and have mentioned this on forums already. Like you said I doubt it would be implemented even with the benifits it would bring to the game. Only game I have which supports more than one monitor is flight sim. Would certainly solve the widget problem for me i could watch on one screen and have the tactics screen always open on the other. Plenty other benifits aswell. Still would lose the ability to play fm on one screen then just browse the net and have youtube etc on the other.

• 3 weeks later...

Forgive me for bumping up this thread. I am doing it in order to try to assist those of you, who, like me, are not pc literate. I have just set up a new HP2009v 20" widescreen monitor. All I have had to do is to plug in four plugs to the pc, exactly to the same places as my old monitor. I altered the screen resolution to the manufacturers recommendations, in this case, 1600 x 900 and loaded FM'09.

I have not found any of the problems that have been mentioned in other posts within this thread. Maybe I have been lucky. FM'09 runs very well and the 3d match is excellent. the whole thing runs very smoothly. So, if any of you are like myself, then don't worry, FM'09 runs well in my widescreen. Incidently, I bought my monitor in Currys for £109.99. I hope that this will be of some help, to at least, one of you. Kind regards.

Archived