AI's byline cross is TOO effective

I find the AI can magically have a winger run to the by-line, cut in, run into the box, beat 3 players and then smash it past a static goalkeeper from the corner of the 6 yard box. This has happened to me at all levels despite numerous tweaks to my full back tactics.

I find the AI can magically have a winger run to the by-line, cut in, run into the box, beat 3 players and then smash it past a static goalkeeper from the corner of the 6 yard box. This has happened to me at all levels despite numerous tweaks to my full back tactics.

My players have done that a lot of times. Far more than the AI players I'd say.

You do realise that the match engine is the same for the AI as it is for you? If you have players equally good at crossing as theirs then your crosses will be very similar.

NO!When my players was doing the same thing, the cross would usually blocked or headed out rather than score.

NO!When my players was doing the same thing, the cross would usually blocked or headed out rather than score.

The fact is though, he's right. Often you'll only notice when your team fail; it's just how the mind works.

and the same thing has been said since 08.........If you don`t like the glitch then change your corner setup.......sigh

I don't use it.

Its just stupid that a tactical instruction that is very common in modern football can't be used because it's broken.

Unless you don't mind defenders scoring 20 goals a season, of course.

The fact is though, he's right. Often you'll only notice when your team fail; it's just how the mind works.

No, I've noticed this for a long period of time, everytime AI has a player running down the side, their will score, even if it's blocked, the corner will result in a goal. But my wingers were much less effectice.

No, I've noticed this for a long period of time, everytime AI has a player running down the side, their will score, even if it's blocked, the corner will result in a goal. But my wingers were much less effectice.

Then it's your tactics or your players, really. Either that, or you're letting your mind deceive you into only seeing the negatives because you're looking out for them.

When viewing highlights, it's mostly going to show only occasions on which chances were created..

Love it.

"It's your tactics" causes players to be unstoppable when running down the byline (regardless of the attacker's stats and defender's stats) and for them to do it multiple times per game and match in, match out against different oppositions.

Love it.

"It's your tactics" causes players to be unstoppable when running down the byline (regardless of the attacker's stats and defender's stats) and for them to do it multiple times per game and match in, match out against different oppositions.

It's 'my' tactics when it happens for my team ;)

Then it's your tactics or your players, really. Either that, or you're letting your mind deceive you into only seeing the negatives because you're looking out for them.

When viewing highlights, it's mostly going to show only occasions on which chances were created..

Then what the heck is that going to do with the tactic? I have good defenders but they just didn't stop the player, just let him running down then cross, players in the central area also got beaten or did not notice someone was behind them ready to head the ball in.

Love it.

So the fact I conceded 27 goals in 2 years has nothing to do with my tactics, for example? :confused:

Not sure what that has to do with anything.

The point was that this happens in FM games, regardless of country played, level of competition and player attributes. In almost every match it will happen at least once - a player receives the ball, skips past 2/3/4 defenders, runs along the byline to the edge of the six yard box and shoot/miss/score/cross.

The point was that this happens in FM games, regardless of country played, level of competition and player attributes. In almost every match it will happen at least once - a player receives the ball, skips past 2/3/4 defenders, runs along the byline to the edge of the six yard box and shoot/miss/score/cross.

no, no it doesn't.

Not sure what that has to do with anything.

You seem to have suggested earlier that tactics don't matter.

When was the last time you watched a game of football where the wingers for either team didn't get any space to run even once? :confused: I'd agree it was excessive if any player could totally turn any opposition's defense time and again, or if every time a winger got the ball they could produce an inch-perfect cross, but they don't.

What exactly is wrong with wingers playing like wingers? Someone's not going to be playing there unless they've got the ability to play as such.

I don't quite understand your argument, as you can probably tell by my scratching around trying to make a point to counter it. :confused:

Of course tactics matter :) My point was, in relation to this particular problem, tactics don't have a lot to do with it, as its not even always wingers that do this, its just a quirk in the match engine.

The problem is that when someone starts on one of these runs, they have three chances (typically) to cross the ball, but you can tell as soon as someone receives the ball in a certain position, that they're going to run down the edge of the 18 yard box, then along the dead ball line to the edge of the 6 yard box and shoot.

It happens regardless of player instructions, player attributes or anything else.

Wingers are overpowered/fullbacks are useless defensively. I think it absolutely a match engine flaw. It's not unfair because it hurts/helps both the player and the AI. It's just really annoying when it happens to you, when your players just strafe the winger and let them get in crosses.

Because this is supposed to be a simulation?

How many times do you see people run along the dead ball line unchallenged, towards the near post and shoot in a match?

You can practically score a goal a game like this if you have good wingers.

Because this is supposed to be a simulation?

How many times do you see people run along the dead ball line unchallenged, towards the near post and shoot in a match?

You can practically score a goal a game like this if you have good wingers.

Fair enough, I agree that it's a bit OTT when it happens every game, but in real life it does happen on rare occasions, I've seen ronaldo do it before, or something very similer.

Fair enough, I agree that it's a bit OTT when it happens every game, but in real life it does happen on rare occasions, I've seen ronaldo do it before, or something very similer.

:thup:

May be OTT, but it does happen. Arshavin's another example I can think of clearly.

May be OTT, but it does happen. Arshavin's another example I can think of clearly.

Not an Arsenal fan but think I can remember the goal your talking about, was it at the net in front of all home fans at the Emirates were he cut in from the left wing ?

Walcott did it in the U21 qualifying against Germany. Sprinted down the wing, cut in past 2 or 3 defenders then slammed it in. But it's much rarer in real life than in FM.

I've noticed players with lower attributes in crossing appear a bit too prescriptive in the match view. By this I mean a player breaks free and heads to the by line and then stops, thinks about things and then lays the ball back to a team mate. Now I know he's not the best crosser of a ball but come on! Players with medium crossing ratings will try a cross but will never complete one - they strike the defender and win a corner. Even the poorest crosser would get one right every now and then.

Archived