Liechtenstein doesn't recognize Czech Rep and Slovakia?

Was just reading up on Liechtenstein on wiki while I'm managing them and apparently LIE doesn't recognize CZE and SVK as states and vice versa all pretty brazen for such a tiny country. Anyway so IRL I assume UEFA makes sure to avoid LIE getting drawn into either of their groups in euro and world cup qualifying and is this implemented into FM? would be a nice minor touch no one would probably ever notice :D

What UEFA deems as 'nations' can be different to what government deems as a nation. Although the Liechtenstein government may not recognise the Czech Rep and Slovakia as states, UEFA does. As a member of UEFA, The Liechtenstein FA have to recognise them too.

Just look at the case of Israel, which isn't recognized by a large number of Asian and African states. Or to make it more complicated, The Republic of China isn't recognized by any of it's fellow members of the Asian Federation but gets to play as "Chinese Taipei". Not to mention the DPRK and the ROK which don't recognize each other and are still at war despite playing in the same group in the Asian qualifiers (which south korea helped north korea qualify through by holding Iran to a draw)

Or to see it a bit closer to home: Scotland, Wales, England, Northern Ireland.

That is a bit different because the Home Nations have special provisions according to FIFA (i.e. they are recognised specifically as separate "nations").

Was just reading up on Liechtenstein on wiki while I'm managing them and apparently LIE doesn't recognize CZE and SVK as states and vice versa all pretty brazen for such a tiny country. Anyway so IRL I assume UEFA makes sure to avoid LIE getting drawn into either of their groups in euro and world cup qualifying and is this implemented into FM? would be a nice minor touch no one would probably ever notice :D

Great win for Shels last night ;)

What UEFA deems as 'nations' can be different to what government deems as a nation. Although the Liechtenstein government may not recognise the Czech Rep and Slovakia as states, UEFA does. As a member of UEFA, The Liechtenstein FA have to recognise them too.

This post doesn't make sense really, Czech Rep. and Slovakia are obviously seperate nations, they have seperate parliaments, diplomatic corps, defence forces, memberships of UN,EU, etc.

Also, due to pressure from Spain, to be recognised as a national FA by FIFA and UEFA, the FA in question have to represent a UN member (all previous FIFA members being excluded, Switzerland would be in trouble otherwise). This is due to seperatist tensions in Euskal Herria, and not wanting to lose half their team to a Catalyunian national team.

Archived