number of "ethnic" youth team players???

Ok so this has bugged me for a while now.

When you start a new game its quite clear that their are a good few number of talented youth team players coming through with all sorts of ethnic backgrounds, kind of a general outlook into modern britain and the multi-cultural society we have created.

The regens though just seem completely void of this and it makes the game highly unrealistic.

Youve 5 times more chance of seeing a "dave" "bob" or "ian" rather than a "jemal" "duane" or "leroy".

And when these names do come out these lads are white, now i really dont wanna start up a whole race thing here, but its making the experience so unrealistic and seeing an england side 10 years on with 18 white englishmen with the names ben, mike, alan just isnt very forward thinking is it??

When you start a new game its quite clear that their are a good few number of talented youth team players coming through with all sorts of ethnic backgrounds, kind of a general outlook into modern britain and the multi-cultural society we have created.

The regens though just seem completely void of this and it makes the game highly unrealistic.

Youve 5 times more chance of seeing a "dave" "bob" or "ian" rather than a "jemal" "duane" or "leroy".

And when these names do come out these lads are white, now i really dont wanna start up a whole race thing here, but its making the experience so unrealistic and seeing an england side 10 years on with 18 white englishmen with the names ben, mike, alan just isnt very forward thinking is it??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by json1901:

And when these names do come out these lads are white, now i really dont wanna start up a whole race thing here, but its making the experience so unrealistic and seeing an england side 10 years on with 18 white englishmen with the names ben, mike, alan just isnt very forward thinking is it?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um the only non-white English players in the current England first 11 are Cole and Wright-Philips, of which only one is a definate starter.

On top of this neither of them are called "jemal" "duane" or "leroy".

In my game the current Dutch star is called Julio Rodriguez and Manuel Thumber just got his first cap for England so I don't think this is a real problem. Maybe just your game.

Im sorry but i think this is a stupid moan.

There are black regens in my game and there are white regens.

FFS does it really matter whether they are mostly black or white regens in your game.

I could understand if you were managing Kenya and had a team of all white players, but its hardly a game changing problem!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by carlos1879:

On my last game I had a youth team full of Napolean Dinomite look alikes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

i agree with the opening poster. the game is aiming for realism, and this isn't achieved by having a future england side entirely consisting of white guys called john

there are a lot of other things wrong with the game that should take precedence, but that doesn't mean it should be ignored.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nomis07:

Um the only non-white English players in the current England first 11 are Cole and Wright-Philips, of which only one is a definate starter.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

england's last match featured micah richards, sol campbell, joleon lescott, shaun wright-phillips, jermain defoe and darren bent.

compare the real life england under 21s to the under 21 side you'll get in fm after several seasons. the latter wouldn't look out of place in the 1950s.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SWaRFeGa:

*Shrugs* It's just a game. I won't be losing any sleep over it. Maybe SI thought they'd get into trouble for naming players Mohammed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That made me laugh icon_smile.gif Should laugh about it but you know...

I've managed Wales in some of the later years and it's always ridiclous. You get a team full of Williams and Jones. I never really thought about that but its a very good point. The real England team could be made up of black players alone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Um the only non-white English players in the current England first 11 are Cole and Wright-Philips, of which only one is a definate starter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean apart from Rio Ferdinand, Micah Richards (and before too long Gabby Abongwhatever).

I agree with this, these sort of names are too rare in the game. Don't see how it could cause problems for SI either.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fonz:

I've managed Wales in some of the later years and it's always ridiclous. You get a team full of Williams and Jones. I never really thought about that but its a very good point. The real England team could be made up of black players alone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure I read somewhere not long ago 27 Williams' have played for the Welsh national side.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

(and before too long Gabby Abongwhatever). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Abigschlongupawhore.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nomis07:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What England team have you been watching? The BNP edition?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by json1901:

And when these names do come out these lads are white, now i really dont wanna start up a whole race thing here, but its making the experience so unrealistic and seeing an england side 10 years on with 18 white englishmen with the names ben, mike, alan just isnt very forward thinking is it?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Micah Richards to

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kill Rock Stars:

i agree with the opening poster. the game is aiming for realism, and this isn't achieved by having a future england side entirely consisting of white guys called john

there are a lot of other things wrong with the game that should take precedence, but that doesn't mean it should be ignored.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

england's last match featured micah richards, sol campbell, joleon lescott, shaun wright-phillips, jermain defoe and darren bent.

compare the real life england under 21s to the under 21 side you'll get in fm after several seasons. the latter wouldn't look out of place in the 1950s. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Out of your list only Richards is a regular and has only been a regular whilst Neville was injured (who's to say he will remain in that position under Capello), SWP is a bit part player who was dropped for Beckham. Defoe never gets a start, Joleon Lescott will not displace Terry or Ferdinand (who I admit I failed to mention apologies), Sol Campbell has played 2 games in the last few years and probably won't get recalled and as for Darren Bent the less said the better.

And further on my point regards the names; in the last England squad of 25 there were 10 non-white players 4 were named Sol, Joleon, Micah and Jermaine, the other names included David, Wes, Ashley, Shaun, Ashley and Darren so the comment is rather ridiculous.

Not to mention that the country has been ethnically diverse for a huge number of years now yet there is not a proliferation of non-white talent in the first 11, only 2 are definate starters and if we include Richards 3. Can anyone honeslty say that SWP, Young, Lescott and Bent are better than Bentley, Terry etc etc.

To turn this into a race debate is racisnm in itself and comments regards the BNP is quite frankly a lazy and childish avenue to go down. The fact remains and noone can dispute it the majority of the English team is white! That's not my problem and not my fault. If the first 11 was entirely non-white but were the best players in the country then that is exactly how it should be.

The people who have blinkered vision are the same type of person who wished to change the WORLD CUP WINNING South Africa team because there weren't enough "whites", it's entirely ludicrous.

As for the game, perhaps the name part is a factor that needs to be looked at although I have never encountered any problems with it. However in my game the current Engalnd team has a diverse blend of skin colour and I reiterate that it must just be the OP's game.

Get over yourselves and look at the facts before you make such ridiculous statements and castigate the sensible for your own ignorance.

blinkered vision icon_biggrin.gif so in ten years time you expect the english national side to be full of people called alan and dave then? my current game, in 2012, has no players with names such as sol, micah etc in the england under 21 and under 19 sides, other than players who were already in the database when the game started

try looking at the under 21 side, and at the youth sides of english teams at the start of the game. their diversity in terms of names isn't being reflected

the only reason this has started to turn into a race debate, i imagine, is your strange post earlier that seemed to be denying that more than two black players play for england

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kill Rock Stars:

blinkered vision icon_biggrin.gif so in ten years time you expect the english national side to be full of people called alan and dave then? my current game, in 2012, has no players with names such as sol, micah etc in the england under 21 and under 19 sides, other than players who were already in the database when the game started

try looking at the under 21 side, and at the youth sides of english teams at the start of the game. their diversity in terms of names isn't being reflected

the only reason this has started to turn into a race debate, i imagine, is your strange post earlier that seemed to be denying that more than two black players play for england </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you look back I stated that only 2 and perhaps 3 were regulars. This is fact. So a race debate in your opinion can derive from facts. How very peculiar.

You will also note that I have stated on a number of occasions that the name thing may need looked at and that in my game there are no such problems re: ethnicity of the English team.

Blinkered vision I think not, whereas someones ability to create a post and then certain people to carry the batton re: fictional ethnicity of regenerated players in a computer game smacks of racism and bigotry in my eyes.

You will refer to my previous post re: the Dutch star and Engalnd cap winner, my game has no problems like this.

On the look for insults then follow the people on this topics lead, find a fact (the number of non white English regulars) and call it racism. Works a treat. lol.

the only reason this has started to turn into a race debate, i imagine, is your strange post earlier that seemed to be denying that more than two black players play for england </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you look back I stated that only 2 and perhaps 3 were regulars. This is fact. So a race debate in your opinion can derive from facts. How very peculiar.

You will also note that I have stated on a number of occasions that the name thing may need looked at and that in my game there are no such problems re: ethnicity of the English team.

Blinkered vision I think not, whereas someones ability to create a post and then certain people to carry the batton re: fictional ethnicity of regenerated players in a computer game smacks of racism and bigotry in my eyes.

You will refer to my previous post re: the Dutch star and Engalnd cap winner, my game has no problems like this.

On the look for insults then follow the people on this topics lead, find a fact (the number of non white English regulars) and call it racism. Works a treat. lol. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

jesus what are you next actually understanding about my clear statement that this is not a race debate.

Im a white englishmen why on gods earth would i feel the need to campaign for more ethnic names?

Its solely on the virtual of realism, this country grows in ethnic diversity day by day yet the regens are made out of players from the 1950s.

If you do happen to come across a duane he is most probably white, and a young black lad in the youth system is much more likely to have a name like "john" or "mike" rather than a more realistic afro carribean or african name.

20 years ago you couldnt find a black footballer for love nor money, now they consume over 30% of the premier league and for your information...no, they arent called keith, arthur or bob.

Look at the original arsenal youth setup at the start of the game, then look at it 5 years on then you`ll begin to realise where im coming from!

England U19's in April 2013. (English structure NOT active).

Saynthan Sivagnanam (white).

England U21's in April 2013. (English structure NOT active).

Calvin Bennett (black).

They are the only 2 names that I would consider to be of ethinc origin in the English aged set-up in my game, (there are none at all in the N.Ireland structure). There are of course a distinctly high number of players who make the likes of Beardsley and Rooney look like male model material icon_biggrin.gif.

If I look at the bigger Premiership clubs in general, the Fred names might be easier to see.

Jean-Paul Diop. Chelsea. (Republic of Congo/England). (Black).

Saynthan Sivagnanam. Chelsea. (England). (White).

Calvin Bennett. Liverpool. (England). (Black).

Anyway, I don't even know why I'm responding in this ridiculous thread. Hell will freeze over before this becomes an issue of even miniscule proportions icon_rolleyes.gif.

jesus what are you next actually understanding about my clear statement that this is not a race debate.

Im a white englishmen why on gods earth would i feel the need to campaign for more ethnic names?

Its solely on the virtual of realism, this country grows in ethnic diversity day by day yet the regens are made out of players from the 1950s.

If you do happen to come across a duane he is most probably white, and a young black lad in the youth system is much more likely to have a name like "john" or "mike" rather than a more realistic afro carribean or african name.

20 years ago you couldnt find a black footballer for love nor money, now they consume over 30% of the premier league and for your information...no, they arent called keith, arthur or bob.

Look at the original arsenal youth setup at the start of the game, then look at it 5 years on then you`ll begin to realise where im coming from! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do underrstand where you are coming from but that's just the way it is. At Bayern I have a youth team with only foreigners are ones that I bought, this is unrealistic. So perhaps the problem is that the game isn't coded to look elsewhere in the world for youth talent and in doing so has a rather stereotypical format for regens. Maybe it's just too much to add this factor to the game and easier to stick with the current coding, who knows. All I know is that I have German youth players with very Turkish names and have seen a few strange names in other national teams cosnidering the nation.

My point at the beginning was that even now there is not a huge number of first choice English players who are not white. This is fact yet some people took this as a racsist statement, which is ridiculous.

One thing that is worrying about the name thing is, why isn't it just a random generator of previous English players names. I once edited a CM to have Roberto Carlos as Northern Irish, the following season I got a youth team player called Samuel Roberto Carlos lol.

Re: no non-white players in the N.I. structure Jeff and Jim whitley have been the only 2 non white players to play for N.I. recently and they hardly got a lot of caps. I'm not saying the game is right, all i'm sayingis that compared to the current game it is not wholly up the left.

Some people seem to be suggesting that the game should be coded to realise that in 15 years time the whole England team could be non-white just as you stated there were none 20yrs ago. Asing a computer game to do this is insane.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by allah:

i too was disgusted to see a white saynthan sivagnanam. he is a young blonde boy who plies his trade as an amc for bolton. were his parents supposed to be hippies? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Distgusted is a bit extreme, its a game for gods sake

nomis

fair play mate and as already mentioned it isnt the most troubling issue within the 2008 version.

Not looked in too much detail at the german regen system but the british one just seems floored, if anything i always felt that 10 years on there will be more minoritys coming through the youth systems.

PS:I wouldnt really bother with anyone who dares to suggest this is a race issue, I for one having read your comments didn think that for a single second!

As the Uk becomes more diverse even names will become less associable with colour. Years ago here in Northern Ireland one was able to identify a some one as a protestant or catholic by name alone, this is not just as possible now!

I have a guy who works with me calle Seamus Donnelly, a tradtional white Catholic name, this guy is a Black Protestant.

Anyway this shouldnt even be an issue. If it annoys you so much turn off the player pics

For me it ain't about color, for me it's about the more names the more fun :p plenty of özgakan, ali, vongh whatever non typical swedish name you can think of in IRL(in the football teams and outside)

But the regens on FM are all andersson, jönsson, and one or two "foreign" names.

(in sweden that is)

A bit unrealistic but really not much of a problem for me. ^^

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Anyway, I don't even know why I'm responding in this ridiculous thread. Hell will freeze over before this becomes an issue of even miniscule proportions icon_rolleyes.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think THIS is the most important lesson here.

I think SI games have more important things to worry about than using "more ethnic" names.

Not all black people are called Leroy, Micah or Nedum. Many are called Shaun, Callum or Nathan!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SWaRFeGa:

*Shrugs* It's just a game. I won't be losing any sleep over it. Maybe SI thought they'd get into trouble for naming players Mohammed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats a point, what about if they called a regen Jesus?

What annoys me is the people with ethnic first names and non-ethnic surnames. The other way around's okay because that actually happens, but...

Australia will never have a "Zvonimir Smith" turn out for them. Ever. I think we can agree on that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nene_Park_Faithfull:

Thats a point, what about if they called a regen Jesus? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jesus is a common Spanish name.

As I've said before, we should all learn to be colour blind.

I think SI will draw more flak if it attempts to implement racial profiling and balancing, rather than be criticised for not having a realistic racial breakdown for a country.

In football, diversity is a beautiful thing, and who knows? Perhaps the best footballers in England in 10 years time will all be South Korean immigrants. While this has real-life implications, Football Manger is a game that doesn't have to worry about that.

this whole thing is absurd.

i've gone through several seasons and the youth team players that come through often have unusual names, different skin tones and second nationalities.

you forget that the UK is actually only 10% non-white, whether there happen to be loads of black players in the england team at any one point or not depends entirely on current form and whether a good crop of youngsters came from a particular academy in a highly ethnic area. i point to the current crop of non-white england players, many of whom came from Senrab in the East End. if, for example, Wallsend in Newcastle had a good crop over a period, most of our England players would be white as it's a predominantly white area in the North East.

indeed the game has some serious intelligence - in my current game i'm on 2011 and loads of regen players have dual nationality UK and nigeria, various caribbean islands, ghana, pakistan, india, poland, russia, lithuania plus ireland, wales, the USA, scotland and - hilariously - the likes of mexico, brazil, ecuador and israel. pure london.

my favourite so far is my moroccan-born spain international ahmed gomez.

and even in countries where non-white minorities are rare occasional black russians and italians crop up as they do indeed in real life.

Um the only non-white English players in the current England first 11 are Cole and Wright-Philips </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And Ferdinand, there were 7 black members of the Emgland squad at the world cup.

Archived