Am I cheating or just good!?!

Hi. I started playing a game with QPR. I bought in some very good players to get them promoted, best of which is Andriy Rusol, who I managed to get for about 5 million.

I'm doing brilliantly in my first season. I'm about 18 points clear. I've bought some gems e.g martin Zeman from Sparta (or Slavia) and Lubos Kalouda. All the players I bought are firing on all cylinders and my tactics seem to be spot on. But there is one thing that is niggling me a bit.

My top scorer has scored 22 goals in 26 games. His name - Andriy Rusol (DC). If we get a corner he scores, simple as that. I'm not doing anything special, just pumping the ball into the 6 yard box and he is set to challenge the goalkeeper. Of course I'm happy that I've hit on a formula to guarantee goals but i'm worried that I've just stumbled on a cheaty tactic, and it is taking a shine off my achievement. Is this a recognised cheat tactic? Am I right to feel this way, or should I revel in my brilliance!?! Most importantly, am I too old (31) to be worried about this?

Hi. I started playing a game with QPR. I bought in some very good players to get them promoted, best of which is Andriy Rusol, who I managed to get for about 5 million.

I'm doing brilliantly in my first season. I'm about 18 points clear. I've bought some gems e.g martin Zeman from Sparta (or Slavia) and Lubos Kalouda. All the players I bought are firing on all cylinders and my tactics seem to be spot on. But there is one thing that is niggling me a bit.

My top scorer has scored 22 goals in 26 games. His name - Andriy Rusol (DC). If we get a corner he scores, simple as that. I'm not doing anything special, just pumping the ball into the 6 yard box and he is set to challenge the goalkeeper. Of course I'm happy that I've hit on a formula to guarantee goals but i'm worried that I've just stumbled on a cheaty tactic, and it is taking a shine off my achievement. Is this a recognised cheat tactic? Am I right to feel this way, or should I revel in my brilliance!?! Most importantly, am I too old (31) to be worried about this?

First off all you are too old to worry about it.

I will revel in the glory, as when you go up it may not be the same story.

In previous games I managed to get (DC/DMC) Paul Wotton from Plymouth to score 32 goals, however he had very high set piece attributes, meaning he was taking the free kicks

Enjoy it while it lasts

Yep, this is an unfortunate and well known weakness in the AI that the user can exploit. It's very easy to have your centre backs score a rediculous number of goals as long as you set them to challenge the GK on corners.

If you're the kind of person that doesn't want to feel like they're cheating then I'd take the centre back off challenge GK and put him somewhere else for corners. If you like your centre backs scoring that many goals, even if it is by exploiting an AI weakness, then carry on. Just do whatever you enjoy the most.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jedclough:

My top scorer has scored 22 goals in 26 games. His name - Andriy Rusol (DC). If we get a corner he scores, simple as that. I'm not doing anything special, just pumping the ball into the 6 yard box and he is set to challenge the goalkeeper. Of course I'm happy that I've hit on a formula to guarantee goals but i'm worried that I've just stumbled on a cheaty tactic, and it is taking a shine off my achievement. Is this a recognised cheat tactic? Am I right to feel this way, or should I revel in my brilliance!?! Most importantly, am I too old (31) to be worried about this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You worry about it because you're old. icon_wink.gif

There's not much you can do about the corner bug. I don't use it (have my corners on "Mixed"), and yet the corner-taker always aims for the 6-yard box. Maybe try setting corners to outside area or something.

I signed Sergio Ramos in one game, and he got a hat-trick on his debut. icon_eek.gif

I generally don't like the corner settings. Nobody ever attacks the near post when you ask them, they just stand on the touch line and head it out. If you have someone set to do this, the corners invariably go to them, even if the setting is on mixed. I do expect some goals from corners, but it seems to be either too many or none. I'm not keen to take Andriy off challenging the goalkeeper, however we do score enough otherwise to ensure victory. Perhaps I'll give it a go.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jedclough:

My top scorer has scored 22 goals in 26 games. His name - Andriy Rusol (DC). If we get a corner he scores, simple as that. I'm not doing anything special, just pumping the ball into the 6 yard box and he is set to challenge the goalkeeper. Of course I'm happy that I've hit on a formula to guarantee goals but i'm worried that I've just stumbled on a cheaty tactic, and it is taking a shine off my achievement. Is this a recognised cheat tactic? Am I right to feel this way, or should I revel in my brilliance!?! Most importantly, am I too old (31) to be worried about this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

change your corner taking tactics to get a more realistic amount of goals.

If it's in the game, it's not cheating. If it's a bug, not my fault. I play within the rules that the game has set. Until a patch arrives that fixes this, I will just enjoy my danger in cornerballs. Having said this, the AI scores some pretty weird goals too... So I think it evens itself out in the long run.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Most importantly, am I too old (31) to be worried about this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

good god mate, you're a third of the way towards death! Panic now!!! (nb. I'm 46)

Some call it a cheat, others call it an exploit. Either way, it's unrealistic. It's up to your conscience whether you take advantage of it or set up your corners in a way that will bing about a realistic amount of goals.

I generally don't like the corner settings. Nobody ever attacks the near post when you ask them, they just stand on the touch line and head it out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try setting you corner routine so that no-one is set to 'near post flick on', 'challenge the gk' or 'stand on far post'.

For example, I am currently using the following:

- 2 players attack near post

- 2 players attack far post

- 1 player attack from deep

- 1 back if needed

- 1 player lurk outside

- 3 players always back

I usually aim for far post from the other side and mixed from the other.

With this routine all my players se to 'attack' do so instead of just standing around.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by phnompenhandy:

Some call it a cheat, others call it an exploit. Either way, it's unrealistic. It's up to your conscience whether you take advantage of it or set up your corners in a way that will bing about a realistic amount of goals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So much of what happens in FM2008 is unrelaistic it seems a shame not to use the bit that helps the player.

I played four games last night, winning all four, including away to second placed Charlton, and Rusol didn't score in any.

Isn't it great when you get a formation and tactic that fits perfectly with your team... that's what's happening with this team. You can tell because the possession bar isn't fluctuating and it is basically long periods of dominance. I almost don't want to get promoted, it's so enjoyable playing this way!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by manc101:

Isn't the hole point of the game to rxploit weaknesses if there aren't any how do you score? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The point is to try an exploit weaknesses in the oppositions tactics, not in the match engine itself.

As I said in the other 'is this cheating' thread - if something you are doing is exploiting a coding weakness, unforeseen circumstance or bug in the game's programming, then even if it's unintentional it's still technically 'cheating'.

If it's something unavoidable then there's nothing we can do about that except report it to SI and wait until they fix it.

If it is avoidable however, by something we can proactively do as players of the game, then we each make our own 'moral' decision as to whether to continue to exploit these 'flaws' or not.

However, whatever you decide, there's no point in hiding from the truth in order to validate what you're doing. If you really don't want to feel like you're cheating then do everything you can to avoid it (and again, if you really feel like that it's likely that in any 'grey areas' you'll err on the side of caution, simply for you own sense of 'achievement'), but if on the other hand you aren't bothered by such 'moral choices', then you don't need to justify how you play to us, nor do you need our validation. I'm not assuming you're doing either btw, just saying icon_wink.gif

[Flame] Just to keep everyone happy.

I have just attempted to link you to my record for most goals scored in a season by a defender with FM2007, but of course it has disappeared into the abyss icon_mad.gif.

This isn't new, it's just a little different.

Anyway, my GK has now scored 64 goals icon_wink.gif.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

[Flame] Just to keep everyone happy.

Anyway, my GK has now scored 64 goals icon_wink.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is he big and fat by any chance?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kriss:

A total wind up thread, look at the OP's reg date and then go though his posting history.

Then convince anyone you can find thst he couldn't know about the corner bug. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oooh a cynic! If you'd like to know Mr Moderator, I don't like fancy formations and tactics and will very rarely look at what oothers are doing; i try to work them out myself. I was dismayed that my CB was scoring so many goals but didn't especially want him to stop. I was entering a 'moral' dilemma of what to do about it. I think it is an interesting thing to talk about on the forum. Of course I was a bit tongue in cheek - As if I give a toss what people think about my age as a player and I certainly haven't lost sleep over the perceived 'dilemma'. I just wanted to raise the subject and see what people thought.

Although its a know bug and a bit of a cheat I do think it levels the playing field a little.

If I was to add all of the goals I conceded from corners, penalties, deflected free-kicks and outrageous mistakes from my defenders it would be about the same as I score.

I'm not moaning about conceding these goals as I know these things will happen in the game, I think by using a corner routine that you know will work you are evening things up.

However I normally score about 20 league goals a season from corners, which is high, but not silly, if I was scoring 30 or 40 I would be inclined to find a way to reduce it.

If you look at my original post I describe what I did. One thing to note - Andriy Rusol has 18 for jumping and 18 for heading on my game. That will help! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh well, so why is it being called a bug? It just looks like being a winning tactic, rather than a bug.

If it was a bug, any player would score simply by setting him to challenge the goalkeeper, no? But here you're confirming that your defender has 18 for jumping and heading. That's long way from being a bug!!!

I would also add that although he has scored 22 goals, he hasn't actually scored any more since my OP! That said, he was injured for three games and the player who filled his position managed to score two. My point with the post was to highlight the dilemma of stumbling on an 'exploit' or bug and whether to continue,as I arrived at it innocently.

My team are ace though. I'm 21 points clear and in the semis of the FA cup against the scum. Also, Rusol is a very good player, perhaps not top class but he will go to most Championship and even some League one teams and is definitely prem standard.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nautilus:

Any clues for my question above? Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know how to link to another post, but there is a good post in the tactics and training tips forum titled scoring from corners cracked, search for that, it'll give you everything you need.

Archived