Drastic rating changes after goals!!!

The problem of a players rating dramatically increasing has been a major criticism of this game and this topic has been done to death, so I won't go on about it.

However....

another problem after a goal is the drastic change that is almost certain to happen if you see 'X will have to take blame for that goal' or 'X was at fault for that goal' etc... I have seen only on two occasions when a player hasn't lost a significant amount of his rating after being at fault for a goal, and both players in question had determination of 20. I've just lost 3-0 to Liverpool (I'm Leeds), and my midfielder who had 6.5 before the 2nd goal, made a mistake and decreased to 5.3 :confused: Then, for their third goal, my defender missed his header and went from 7.2 to 5.5!!!!!!!

Not only does the rating look bad in a season of very good ratings, it also has a detrimental effect on their confidence and performance for the remainder of the game. If a player has a rating of 5.8 or lower, every time they get the ball, they will either take a touch too many, take a heavy touch, or do something ridiculously bad. I wouldn't mind this dramatic decrease, if they had a chance to redeem themselves, but once you make a mistake, you'll never get a decent rating at the end of it.

Also, it's inconsistant. Very occasionally, my keeper will do something stupid, like come out to claim the ball outside his area, when his defender is already there, and whack it against the defenders back, which happens to fall nicely into the path of the opposing striker. And then, when the GK should be punished in his rating, his remains the same, and the defenders rating decreases!

Honestly, I really like this game, but I just needed to get this off my chest, and have a rant.

But, so that this isn't a pointless thread, does anyone agree, or at least have their own experience of it to share?

Rating does not directly affect how well (confident) a player will play - it is a guide to how well they have been playing.

Look at BBC Sport player rater, they jump when someone scores, I'd expect that.

I don't think it really matters how something else works. The rating in FM is meant to provide an indication of OVERALL performance and the sudden decrease for a single mistake means an otherwise good performance can be rated far too low.

Yes, I know that a rating is a guide to how well they've performed, but a player with a rating of 8.0 (and therefore with more confidence) is going to play much better and make less mistakes than a player with a rating of 5.3

that was my point

I think they made it this way so that you can criticize a player for a mistake in your team talk without the player becoming upset because it only goes by the match rating. I would love to be able to say to a player: "You played well today except for a certain incident. Don't do that again!"

Archived